TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Pop UP arrangement
Read 2883 times
* September 30, 2010, 08:35:31 AM
Silly little question -

When I add or delete a pop up toolbar from my local menu display (right click) the menu arrangement changes. ( I've figured it that it does so to keep as small a space as possible.)

Is there a way I can control where they are placed.

For instance I would like to have my most used one in the upper left corner, but I can't seem to find a way to keep it there.

Thanx
Ed

2020 platinum

* September 30, 2010, 09:54:00 AM
I don't have an answer to your question, but I am also interested in how this works exactly.  I hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have tried arranging the toolbars with the same number of icons and then experimented with changing the number of icons and it does have an effect.  I have just not figured out what the right number is I guess.

I would also like to add that not only would it be nice to know where the icons will be placed for a particular icon of interest, it would be helpfull when setting up unique configurations for specific tasks.

The apparently weird science behind the arrangement of icons makes it difficult to mix and match Pop Up toolbars with any confidence.  Thanks for bringing this up.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

September 30, 2010, 06:13:13 PM
I have used an extensive pop-up menu for many versions and have not found a way to organize it.  It also does not save as a custom configuration and has to be set up with each new version.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

September 30, 2010, 07:26:00 PM
I wish this was more controllable too. I can get close by creating multiple toolbars that are approximately the same width and naming them in alphabetical order.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* September 30, 2010, 08:12:03 PM
Brad, that is what I have been doing too.

jon, I was hoping to be able to get a better handel on this so I could set up separate configurations for specific tasks, but I never got that far due to the frustration of aligning the icons the way I wanted.

Thanks guys.

Ed, I am also disappointed with the anwer, but it is better to know for sure.  I guess you are left to experiment with the width of the tool bars to get what you want.  Like Brad was saying, I think that keeping the same number of icons per row is the best advice at this time.  Bummer

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* October 01, 2010, 05:25:14 AM
I use the same method as Brad and create new toolbars specifically for use as a Pop-Up Toolbar.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* January 15, 2011, 02:46:36 PM
Solved-

It seems like Alphabetical order is the key to the arrangement. What I ended up doing was to set up a series of custom tool bars with the same name and a suffix of 1 thru n.

Then I put all the commands I wanted to use in these custom bars. I arranged them with the most active on the left and the upper bar, etc.  I did not use any of the 'standard' tool bars. When I right clicked they came up in order with the sequence within bars just like I set them.

Now all I have to do is figure a way to save them in the case of a reinstall.

Ed

2020 platinum

* January 15, 2011, 09:50:38 PM
re: …Now all I have to do is figure a way to save them in the case of a reinstall.

Go to "Tools / Customize —›Options page"
overwrite the current name in the "Save In" list with a new name.
Click on the "Save In" button.
This will save your current Workspace.
It will not harm the Workspace whose name you overwrote.
This will create 2 files in the "Config" folder (*.xcfg and *.xml).

If you need to reload the Workspace,
select the name from the "Load From" list,
click on the "Load From" button.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* January 16, 2011, 12:09:50 PM
John,

Do you know, does saving the workspace also save any tool properties presets that have been created?

BTW  very good tip, thanks.

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* January 16, 2011, 04:21:06 PM
re: …does saving the workspace also save any tool properties presets…

No. A Workspace consists of the layout of Toolbars, Menus, Palettes, Hotkeys and custom icon images & text.

To save Presets (formerly Styles) for the various tools, you need to save a copy of the drawing as a Template (*.TCT). Place a copy of the TCT drawing in the Templates folder at "C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSIDesign\TCWP17\Template" (if using V17Pro). When you start a new drawing, choose "New from Template", then select your custom Template from the list, then OK. If you need to update the template at some point, use your saved copy, then copy that to "Templates". I find Windows will throw up roadblocks when attempting to edit a drawing file within "C:\Program Files (x86)\…".

If you go to "Options / General", you can set up the "New Document" section to always start a new drawing using your custom Template instead of going through the "Start Up Dialog".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* January 16, 2011, 07:04:50 PM
re: …does saving the workspace also save any tool properties presets…

No. A Workspace consists of the layout of Toolbars, Menus, Palettes, Hotkeys and custom icon images & text.

To save Presets (formerly Styles) for the various tools, you need to save a copy of the drawing as a Template (*.TCT). Place a copy of the TCT drawing in the Templates folder at "C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSIDesign\TCWP17\Template" (if using V17Pro). When you start a new drawing, choose "New from Template", then select your custom Template from the list, then OK. If you need to update the template at some point, use your saved copy, then copy that to "Templates". I find Windows will throw up roadblocks when attempting to edit a drawing file within "C:\Program Files (x86)\…".

If you go to "Options / General", you can set up the "New Document" section to always start a new drawing using your custom Template instead of going through the "Start Up Dialog".

Thanks John.

I have made one template already, although I can see a need for updating it, as I keep making changes that help speed things up.
So, between the workspace and template, all the bases should be covered in case of a reinstall right?

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* January 17, 2011, 11:37:28 AM
re: So, between the workspace and template, all the bases should be covered in case of a reinstall, right?

One extra step that I go is to save is the INI file, but this would be done if you make a lot of changes to the defaults in the TCExplorer palette. "TCW17_xml.ini" is found at "C:\Users\John R\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\17\Professional\Profiles\Built-in" on my system. I place a copy one folder up in "Profiles", as anything in the "Built-in" folder is destroyed in a reinstall process. After I've run TurboCAD once after a reinstall and shut it down, then I can replace the new INI file with my 'copy'.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:40:44 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled