TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

vexing problem, feeling very n00bish . . . but can someone guide me ?
Read 1820 times
October 26, 2010, 02:13:08 PM
Almost embarassed to ask, but I haven't been able to figure this one out myself, or find out how to resolve it.  I'm sure it's very simple.

Let's say I've rotated a base cabinet 45°.  After rotation, the selection UCS rotates with the cabinet - until I deselect the assembly.  Then when I reselect the assembly, the UCS reverts to the original 90° orientation.  If I set a workplane on the face of the cabinet, I can select a single part and the UCS is at 45°, but if I select the whole assembly, the UCS is back to 90°.  ???
Oftentimes after I rotate something, I want to slide it into position along the new axis, but this UCS thing hangs me up.

What don't I understand ?  Thanks.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* October 26, 2010, 03:01:29 PM
Try setting your Selector 3D Properties as shown in the attached screenshot.

Henry H

October 27, 2010, 08:34:10 PM
Hi Henry, thanks . . . I was sure that would do it . . made the CS change you suggested, but . . no joy. 

Here's a couple of screenshots.  "good selection" shows just the one part selected, and that's fine.  But when I add the other two parts shown in "bad selection", this is what I get.  No matter where I set the workplane, same result.  The CS reverts to the 90° orientation.  It's a real PITA.  I also attached the drawing.  Could this be a bad 17.2 patch ?

Oh, one other thing.  If I select any bunch of parts, the drafting palette shows the correct extents cs, oriented normal to the assembly. 

TIA
SG

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* October 28, 2010, 08:11:04 PM
Hi Henry, thanks . . . I was sure that would do it . . made the CS change you suggested, but . . no joy. 

Here's a couple of screenshots.  "good selection" shows just the one part selected, and that's fine.  But when I add the other two parts shown in "bad selection", this is what I get.  No matter where I set the workplane, same result.  The CS reverts to the 90° orientation.  It's a real PITA.  I also attached the drawing.  Could this be a bad 17.2 patch ?

Oh, one other thing.  If I select any bunch of parts, the drafting palette shows the correct extents cs, oriented normal to the assembly. 

TIA
SG

If the screenshot attached herewith is what you want, here's how to do it (and before you proceed further, I strongly recommend you place the "Workplane" toolbar on your desktop): In the Selector 3D Properties dialog, set both Extents CS and Coordinate System to "User CS." Click the WorkPlane by Entity toolbutton, then click the entity -- call it Entity A -- whose coordinate system you'd like to be displayed. (In the attached screenshot, I had clicked the vertical thingie on the left.) Now go ahead and select any object or objects you wish, and the X,Y,Z axes of the selection will be parallel to those of Entity A.

Henry H

October 28, 2010, 10:26:33 PM
Ah so, Obi Wan.  In fact, once the workplane by entity is set using a single part, the whole group can be selected at once and the selection box is where I want it - don't have to select the single part first.  Thank you so much Henry !  I can breathe.
SG