TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Off Topic - PDF Thumbnails with Windows 7 Home Premium
Read 3331 times
October 28, 2010, 06:10:59 PM
Sorry for the off topic thread, but does anyone know how to get PDF icons to show with Windows 7 Home Premium as thumbnails like they did in XP?

* October 28, 2010, 11:56:19 PM
This works for me in Vista.
Open the Adobe Reader.
Go to "File / Open" and pick a folder with PDF's in it.
Click on the "View Menu" icon and change it to Large Icons.
The PDF's in the "File / Open" window should change to what you saw in XP.
You may need to scroll through the list, so each file is updated with a thumbnail.
When all of those files have changed, you can cancel out of the Open dialog,
or switch to another folder.

When opening that folder in Window Explorer with the Large Icons setting, your PDF's should now show a thumbnail of the first page like before. You'll probably have to contact Adobe to find a better way, as I only know how to do it a page (folder) at a time.

I use this same tactic on *.pspimage files.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:01:28 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* October 29, 2010, 06:20:41 AM
Don
You are probably already aware of this step but thought I mention it anyway..I don't know if your version is able to do it but this what I do in W7 Pro version.Basically all it is expanding the pane.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:28:11 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

October 29, 2010, 08:03:26 AM
This works for me in Vista.
Open the Adobe Reader.
Go to "File / Open" and pick a folder with PDF's in it.
Click on the "View Menu" icon and change it to Large Icons.
The PDF's in the "File / Open" window should change to what you saw in XP.
You may need to scroll through the list, so each file is updated with a thumbnail.
When all of those files have changed, you can cancel out of the Open dialog,
or switch to another folder.

When opening that folder in Window Explorer with the Large Icons setting, your PDF's should now show a thumbnail of the first page like before. You'll probably have to contact Adobe to find a better way, as I only know how to do it a page (folder) at a time.

I use this same tactic on *.pspimage files.

Thanks John!

That works great. I tried so many things yesterday that I had to restore my computer to get it back in order. I thought I tried something like this yesterday but maybe not quite the same. This method worked well this morning and I am one happy camper.

October 29, 2010, 08:11:39 AM
Don
You are probably already aware of this step but thought I mention it anyway..I don't know if your version is able to do it but this what I do in W7 Pro version.Basically all it is expanding the pane.

Thanks WD.

The home premium version can do that and I was starting to think that I would have to use that method, but being able to see a selection of PDF file thumbnails is more efficient for my needs. I have a series of Before & After design lessons that I refer back to for inspiration and it is good to see the first page to quickly find the one I am thinking about.

If you are curious about Before & After Magazine check it out: http://www.bamagazine.com/  It is very helpful while learning graphic design and not expensive at all.