TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Watercolor(ish) Rendering
Read 10969 times
October 24, 2010, 09:40:37 PM
I've been working on a new rendering style for our homes this weekend and the attached image is what I've ended up with. I used TurboCAD, SketchUp and Photoshop to get the drawing to this point. Your critiques are welcome.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* October 25, 2010, 01:34:20 AM
Very nice.Is that your home?

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* October 25, 2010, 01:44:43 AM
Great, Brad. I've been messing around with the Photoshop Watercolor filter some time ago, but you really made it work.
It certainly is very usefull to get the technical feel out of a straight forward elevation.

Rob

* October 25, 2010, 06:48:13 AM
Great render, It looks to me like it would make a great picture for a opening presentation or cover for pamphlet.  :) lefthander

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* October 25, 2010, 07:50:13 AM
I've been working on a new rendering style for our homes this weekend and the attached image is what I've ended up with. I used TurboCAD, SketchUp and Photoshop to get the drawing to this point. Your critiques are welcome.

Remarkable work Brad. The water colour effect is graphically quite true. The lines around the foreground trees are somewhat of a deterrent for me. Thanks for sharing your work again.  -  Al

* October 25, 2010, 10:31:06 AM
Nice effect, Brad. There has been a lot of discussion and sharing of technique over at the sketchucation forums in regards to the watercolor effect.

October 25, 2010, 11:18:08 AM
Very nice.Is that your home?

Thanks all, for your comments.

WD: This isn't my personal home, but one that we are building for a local couple.

Al: I wondered how folks would feel about the sketching around the foreground trees. Something I don't care for in our current rendering style is that the landscaping is so brightly colored that it really over takes the house visually. I wanted to somewhat mute the foreground trees and even more so the background trees to add more focus on the house. The difference between the two is subtle, so I added the sketchy lines to help break the foreground and background elements apart. I appreciate your input.

Richard: I did poke around a bit in the sketchucation forums during this exercise.  :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:19:39 AM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* October 25, 2010, 11:45:27 AM
Brad, I would like to hear about your workflow. What part of the process did you use TurboCAD & SketchUp? Thanks.

October 25, 2010, 01:05:25 PM
Brad, I would like to hear about your workflow. What part of the process did you use TurboCAD & SketchUp? Thanks.

I generally model in either TC or SketchUp and sometimes both. I find there are times when it's much simpler to accomplish something in one versus the other. I love the current compatibility between the two.

This time, the modeling was done in SketchUp only. I applied the materials in SketchUp and saved (2) 2D images. One containing the textures, shadows and environment with no edges, and one containing nothing but edges with jaggies and extensions turned on (black lines on a white background).

In Photoshop I used a combination of filters on the texture layer to get the watercolor effect. First was "Ripple" (Medium, 50%). I made 2 copies of the result and filtered one with "Dry Brush" and the other with "Watercolor". I adjusted the opacity of those over the "Ripple" effect to get the right mix.

TurboCAD's task on this one was to render some soft shadows. They are most noticeable in the eves and through the entry court. On it's own, SketchUp doesn't provide any gradient to the these areas, so they end up looking rather flat and monotonous once you go to work on the watercolor effects. I tried to render the soft shadows within SketchUp using Renditioner, but the settings had to be cranked up to get the result I was after and the rendering time was not good. So, I switched over to TC and got what I needed in about five minutes. I adjusted the shadows to taste using "Levels" and added some grain, then blended using "Multiply".

Now for the line work. I like to filter the line work in Photoshop with "Diffuse Glow". It gives the lines a grainy quality that mimics pencil lines when blended using "Multiply". Adjusting the opacity lets you fine tune the effect.

The final step was to create a paper texture layer and blend it over the other layers using "Hard Light".

Hopefully this all makes sense.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

October 25, 2010, 04:13:13 PM

I generally model in either TC or SketchUp and sometimes both. I find there are times when it's much simpler to accomplish something in one versus the other. I love the current compatibility between the two.

This time, the modeling was done in SketchUp only. I applied the materials in SketchUp and saved (2) 2D images. One containing the textures, shadows and environment with no edges, and one containing nothing but edges with jaggies and extensions turned on (black lines on a white background).

In Photoshop I used a combination of filters on the texture layer to get the watercolor effect. First was "Ripple" (Medium, 50%). I made 2 copies of the result and filtered one with "Dry Brush" and the other with "Watercolor". I adjusted the opacity of those over the "Ripple" effect to get the right mix.

TurboCAD's task on this one was to render some soft shadows. They are most noticeable in the eves and through the entry court. On it's own, SketchUp doesn't provide any gradient to the these areas, so they end up looking rather flat and monotonous once you go to work on the watercolor effects. I tried to render the soft shadows within SketchUp using Renditioner, but the settings had to be cranked up to get the result I was after and the rendering time was not good. So, I switched over to TC and got what I needed in about five minutes. I adjusted the shadows to taste using "Levels" and added some grain, then blended using "Multiply".

Now for the line work. I like to filter the line work in Photoshop with "Diffuse Glow". It gives the lines a grainy quality that mimics pencil lines when blended using "Multiply". Adjusting the opacity lets you fine tune the effect.

The final step was to create a paper texture layer and blend it over the other layers using "Hard Light".

Hopefully this all makes sense.

RE:Hopefully this all makes sense.
OK, I can make sense (theoretically) of what you did......

But..........  Seriously, how do you learn this stuff?  Trial and error, I really doubt it was from reading the Manual.

Superb, this is more like art, there's even textures on the paper!!!  If only I..............  Well someday.....

Thanks for posting

Alan H

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

October 25, 2010, 10:01:17 PM
re: Seriously, how do you learn this stuff?

1 Part - mental picture
1 Part - surfing the web & books
2 Parts - admiring what others have accomplished
4 Parts - trial & error

Mix well and simmer. :)

Thanks Alan.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

October 26, 2010, 04:00:20 AM
Wow - love it Brad.....

Yeah - I agree with you on how we accomplish what we do.......more trial than error, tweaking settings....

Advanced rendering has so many variables.........I do many small test renders until I am "sort of" happy with render time versus quality.....

Brad have you got any interior setups for your SOFTBOX (HDRI) software for us to try?

Daz.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

October 26, 2010, 07:20:57 AM
re: Brad have you got any interior setups for your SOFTBOX (HDRI) software for us to try?

I'm almost happy with the test scene results...

BradE [ dean3Design ]

October 26, 2010, 08:23:18 AM
Nice one....
could you post your results Brad?

Daz.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* October 26, 2010, 09:56:28 AM
Thanks, Brad for the details.

October 26, 2010, 10:25:52 AM
1 Part - mental picture
1 Part - surfing the web & books
2 Parts - admiring what others have accomplished
4 Parts - trial & error

Mix well and simmer. :)

Thanks For The Insight ;D, I kind of suspected the trial and error....  :o

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

October 26, 2010, 02:01:09 PM
Hmmm, so even at your skill level, it's still 50% trial and error . . . actually that's kind of encouraging ! ;D

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* October 27, 2010, 01:18:01 PM
classy rendering, great job Brad.

October 27, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
Beautiful job on this one Brad. Your work is always so pleasing.

* October 27, 2010, 09:17:25 PM
Brad I absolutely love this one! Really nice when the approach is more then just a photo real image.

November 23, 2010, 02:08:57 PM
I've tweaked my process a bit and I think I'm now happy with it. I was somewhat lost on how to keep the window idea going, and at the same time remove some emphasis from them. The "Crosswater-B" image illustrates my fix. I made the simulated reflections more abstract, added some color variation and brushed them on using diagonal strokes.

The heavy lifting for modeling was done in TC for these two. Once you have a few styles setup, walls and windows can be done very quickly in TC. Hipped roofs are fast as well. I'm still deciding whether TC or SU is more efficient with gable roofs though. The benefit to using TC is the ability to edit the roof component. That being said, I end up exploding them most of the time when modeling complex roofs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:00:10 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]

November 23, 2010, 02:48:06 PM
Brad,

Very nice indeed.  The use of simulated painting is very elegant and classy.  More like artwork than a technical representation.

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

November 23, 2010, 03:48:40 PM
 Brad:
      Oh yeah!!!! That is really impressive.

Don Ritchie

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

November 23, 2010, 04:07:59 PM
Gorgeous illustrations Brad. I bet the outfit you work for are glad they discovered you.

* November 23, 2010, 11:59:22 PM
You can check this - http://www.fotosketcher.com/

* November 24, 2010, 02:17:38 PM
As usual Brad you create impressive masterpieces.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

November 24, 2010, 08:36:38 PM
Thanks again guys, for your comments. We are undergoing a new cycle of product development now and will be designing three different elevations for each of our models. I hope I can keep up. :)

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* November 26, 2010, 11:25:26 AM
You can check this - http://www.fotosketcher.com/
It works nicely.Thanks for sharing the link.Is helpful :)
Enclose sample pics work out pretty good for a first crack at it!

* November 27, 2010, 07:56:35 PM
Brad, That is exactly what I would want to see as a client!! So impressive! I think artistic presentations like this do much more to sell an idea then a standard photoreal visualization. You have me thinking.

Best,

Steve