TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

De Speelboom
Read 4685 times
* October 12, 2010, 01:07:51 AM
Hi, a literal translation of the name of the building is "The Play Tree".
It is meant to be a children's Center with all kinds of facilities for healthcare, schooling, sports, etc..
The walls are made of Western Red Ceder with different widths and thickness.
Hope you will like it.

Rob

* October 12, 2010, 06:35:34 AM
Very very nice. Is this in the building stage or just a proposal.

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

October 12, 2010, 07:04:12 AM
That's a beautiful building and a fantastic render Rob.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* October 12, 2010, 07:42:21 AM
Hi, a literal translation of the name of the building is "The Play Tree".
It is meant to be a children's Center with all kinds of facilities for healthcare, schooling, sports, etc..
The walls are made of Western Red Ceder with different widths and thickness.
Hope you will like it.

Rob

I like it, Rob.

...But I'm wondering what the wood will look like in ten years.

Henry H

* October 12, 2010, 07:50:38 AM
Thanks, Brad and Henry.
If I understood well, the wood is treated with "Olympic Stain", a kind of transparant varnish, which protects also against UV.
When untreated I agree with you it will be grey witgin 10 years.

Rob

* October 12, 2010, 01:36:21 PM
Hi, Lefthander. It is a definite design and will be built ( with perhaps some minor changes).
Thanks for your comment.

Rob

* October 15, 2010, 08:13:37 PM
Great render Rob!
Are you using TC for the render? as well how did you get the shadows of the people on the sidewalk, I assume that is done in photoshop?

* October 16, 2010, 04:48:47 AM
Thanks, Hammer.
The building was modeled in Sketchup and the situation in TurboCad. Mounting of situation and buildings ( this was a project with two buildings) was done in Vue Infinite 7.5 as well as the rendering.
Vue has the option of saving as a Photoshop file with selections per material ( alpha channels). This makes it easy in PS to select in one click all glass, bricks, wood, etc..
The people were imported in Ps as images without background. I then select the empty background, inverse selection, make a new layer called Shadow, and fill it with black. Then with Edit/ Transform/ Distort, I manipulate the shadow shape until it looks good and set the layer transparancy to 40 %.
When you couple the person's layer with the shadow layer you can move or rescale both at the same time.
I hope this explanation is a bit clear.

Rob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:44:56 AM by Rob Figee »

* October 16, 2010, 10:01:02 AM

The people were imported in Ps as images without background. I then select the empty background, inverse selection, make a new layer called Shadow, and fill it with back. Then with Edit/ Transform/ Distort, I manipulate the shadow shape until it looks good and set the layer transparancy to 40 %.
When you couple the person's layer with the shadow layer you can move or rescale both at the same time.

That's a great trick, Rob.

Henry H

October 16, 2010, 12:03:55 PM
re: Vue has the option of saving as a Photoshop file with selections per material ( alpha channels).

That's a great workflow Rob. I've messed around with some other rendering apps that will save in the psd format too. I think it would be great to have this ability in TC. On occasion I've rendered shadows for an image separately by assigning a matte or shadow catcher type material to all objects and compiling that with the colored version in Photoshop. You end up with a great deal of flexibility for adjustments.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:08:48 PM by Brad Easterday »

BradE [ dean3Design ]

October 16, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
That is a very interesting design Rob. Looks like a great place for an office - very welcoming.

* October 17, 2010, 05:37:21 AM
Thanks, guys, for your nice reactions.
Brad, your shadow carcher system looks very interesting too. My shadow system looks complex but has been made into an "Action" in Photoshop, so it is just a matter of one click.
One more thing about Vue:
Not only material selections are possible, also layer selections ( for instsnce, all cars or hedges) and object selections ( one car at a time, a single tree) are possible.
Atmospheric layers, depth of field and much more.

Cheers,

Rob
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:20:36 AM by Rob Figee »

October 17, 2010, 07:35:11 AM
Rob,

Very nice.

I like how you combine various "tools" in your workflow.  As I have explored new options for my work I've found that the best presentations can be accomplished by combining various software packages.  All of them individually have many strengths, but with that comes week areas.  No single affordable software package gives me everything I want

Your work is very creative, and please continue to post, as all of the projects I see provide me with inspiration and alternatives to achieving what I'm attempting.

Tom

"Be who you are and say what you feel.. because those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind"

* October 18, 2010, 04:15:06 AM
Hi Tom, Thanks for your nice comment I recognize the problem of all software missing some useful options to use it as major tool.
I have often wished there would be a "Software Shaker". You pour in all the applications you need, shake well and out comes the majic "TurboSketch_VueUpShop",
 containing all you need.
It would be great if it turned out to be free too!

Rob
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:57:51 AM by Rob Figee »

October 18, 2010, 06:51:30 AM
re: "TurboSketch_VueUp"

Now you're talking. Who do we need to talk to? :)

BradE [ dean3Design ]