TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Electrical layout question
Read 5052 times
* June 27, 2009, 07:30:44 AM
Hi Folks,

I primarily utilize TC for electrical risers and layouts, is there a better way to do wiring than how I currently perform this task.  Right now I have created blocks for my common devices, I’ll lay these out and then route polylines representing the wires (and manually inserted arcs to crossover other wires). But whenever I need to make a change it becomes a laborious task since nothing is anchored to the blocks I need to move, or the lines where crossovers occur.  Am I just missing something basic?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

TIA

Cheers,
Russell
Ver: TC Pro 16

* June 27, 2009, 09:29:53 AM
If each wire, including the crossover arcs, is a single Polyline, it should be relatively simple to edit manually with the Edit tool. Be aware you can select and move a number of nodes simultaneously.

*EDIT:* You can do that in 3D, too, if you wish.

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:15:44 AM by Henry Hubich »

* June 27, 2009, 01:15:39 PM
Henry,

Thanks for the reply and the example (in 3d  8) …I have enough trouble getting out of 3d when it inadvertently gets turned on)

I have included example1 for reference, is there a way to automate the creation of the wire arcs?  As it is now I draw the polyline, then add a node to each side of the intersection, then add a node at the intersection, drag that node in the direction I want the arc to go, then right click the same node, insert arc, then delete the two additional nodes created by the insert arc command.  This just seems cumbersome, so I figure I must be doing it the hard way

The tip to select multiple polylines and drag them all at once will definitely help. Thanks.

Example2: can I bind where the polyline (wire) meets the terminal strip (block), so when I need to move the cable in/out/up/down, the individual wires will remain connected where they belong.

Thanks again.

Russell

* June 27, 2009, 01:49:01 PM
I figure I must be doing it the hard way

You are ;-)

Try to draw each wire as one Polyline. It's helpful, IMO, to turn on the Grid and the Snap to Grid running snap. When you come to a point where you need an arc, click to finish the current straight-line segment, then press the "Arc Segment" button in the Inspector Bar. Control the orientation of the arc by pressing the "Direction" button (which establishes the orientation of the tangent to the arc at its initial point) and then clicking a gridpoint 90 deg from the direction of your latest straight segment. Click the grid one more time to complete the arc, then press the "Line Segment" button to draw the next straight segment.

The tip to select multiple polylines and drag them all at once will definitely help.

Multiple nodes on the same Polyline is what I meant, Russell.

Example2: can I bind where the polyline (wire) meets the terminal strip (block), so when I need to move the cable in/out/up/down, the individual wires will remain connected where they belong.

While that might just be possible through the use of Constraints, I really doubt that it's practical. One problem I see and don't know how to surmount is the need to add more bends to the wires when the block is moved.

Henry H

* June 27, 2009, 07:15:23 PM
When doing schematics, the Stretch tool is nearly the only modification tool I use. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Blocks and Symbols are not stretched, but move along with the selected vertices, which is handy. In such case that you desire to stretch a symbol, simply explode it first.

* June 27, 2009, 09:55:09 PM
When doing schematics, the Stretch tool is nearly the only modification tool I use. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Didn't even think of that, Don. Thank you.

Henry H

June 28, 2009, 08:02:00 PM
For 2D schematics, can't you use symbols? I do mostly hydraulic & pneumatic systems but imagine it would be the same for electrical circuits. I've setup a library of symbols which makes dropping in components & joints a doddle.
Each component has a white backgound so the circuitry below it is hidden.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:12:23 PM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* June 29, 2009, 06:58:06 AM
I personally utilize blocks as opposed to symbols within drawings to minimize the file size. The white background was a change I made a while ago as well to eliminate the need to trim lines after placement, thanks for the ideas. What I was really looking for was a way to autoroute lines much like Visio, or AutoCad Electrical when it comes to reworking a schematic. The stretch tool seems to be a viable for some of the changes that need to be made, thanks (Don) for the heads up on that. Also the guidance on the polyline Arc Segment (Henry) is appreciated.

Cheers,
Russell

June 29, 2009, 07:30:25 AM
Try to draw each wire as one Polyline. It's helpful, IMO, to turn on the Grid and the Snap to Grid running snap. When you come to a point where you need an arc, click to finish the current straight-line segment, then press the "Arc Segment" button in the Inspector Bar. Control the orientation of the arc by pressing the "Direction" button (which establishes the orientation of the tangent to the arc at its initial point) and then clicking a gridpoint 90 deg from the direction of your latest straight segment. Click the grid one more time to complete the arc, then press the "Line Segment" button to draw the next straight segment.

Thanks for that tip Henry.  I did not realize that you could switch from straight line to arc in the polyline tool.  I am sure I will find that one useful.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* June 29, 2009, 09:37:51 AM
Control the orientation of the arc by pressing the "Direction" button (which establishes the orientation of the tangent to the arc at its initial point) and then clicking a gridpoint 90 deg from the direction of your latest straight segment.

Thanks for that tip Henry.  I did not realize that you could switch from straight line to arc in the polyline tool.  I am sure I will find that one useful.

Be aware, Jon, that the arc by default will be tangent to your last straight-line segment. My tip about controlling its direction was directed specifically at the convention for drawing a crossover in a schematic.

Henry H