TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Visual Studio Express example
Read 10821 times
* May 16, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
Hello Mauritz, here is a link back to the old forum relating to the possible use of Visual Studio Express with Turbocad. I put together some background information for possible development into a Visual Studio Example.

Here is the link to the old thread  which has this text in the subject box "ATTN ;- Mauritz Botha re: VB.Net Example" :-
Visual Studio Express Example Link

Hope we have time in the future to explore this possibility.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:28:11 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* May 18, 2009, 05:38:59 PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting this. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.

* May 19, 2009, 12:21:57 PM
Hello Kevan,
                   glad to see that the SDK part of the forum is getting some attention, as I believe that it has great potential. I know that you have all been busy of late ironing out all the facets of V16, but what Turbocad has lacked for a long time is dedicated input in relation to programmability of Turbocad. Autocad has tens of thousands of Lisp routines for every conceivable repeatable job, plus all the vba resources. Putting programming knowledge in the hands of C.A.D. users , leads to the development of routines that apply to their particular work environment and paves the way for further refined development by IMSI or others of these routines.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:34:41 PM by Michael Geraghty »

* May 19, 2009, 03:32:45 PM
Michael, there's no doubt that the SDK has languished for the last several years. However, it's now one of my tasks to bring both the SDK and the documentation up to date.

And I couldn't agree more about needing to get the SDK info into the hands of users. If we give users the tools to make the tools that they need and want, we have happier customers.

* June 05, 2009, 04:27:00 PM
By the way, Michael, I'm getting off to a (very slow) start on your Flange example. I keep having to run to programming for more information, but it's coming along slowly. I can now draw the first three cylinders, at least!

* June 05, 2009, 06:39:42 PM
By the way, Michael, I'm getting off to a (very slow) start on your Flange example. I keep having to run to programming for more information, but it's coming along slowly. I can now draw the first three cylinders, at least!

That's good news Kevan. I have also started a Delphi version of the same routine, but am going back over syntax and usage of Delphi at the same time, so very slow for me at present. I have created a form with an imagebox, a stringgrid, and a combobox. At present, just for debugging, I have loaded a csv file into the stringgrid, and then put a combobox to select the various sizes, although selecting the relevant row in the stringgrid is what I will do eventually.The imagebox holds an  an image of the relevant dimensions, which will also cater for a user defined flange at a later date. I have not gone into any of the relevant turbocad library properties as yet, as I am just trying to get the peripheral parts up and running first. Also in relation to the dimension variables in the Excel file, the extra calculations would probably be better done in Excel eventually, and then a lesser number of variables and calculations would be required in the finished add-on or tool. I will keep you informed as I progress to a basic example.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:56:36 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* June 09, 2009, 02:14:10 PM
Okay, I have a first working draft of the flange creator done in Visual Basic Express 2008. My main focus was how to create the solids and booleans using the SDK -- I leave the finer bits of user interface to you. Hope you find this useful!

Kevan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:14:58 AM by kchapman »

* June 10, 2009, 05:42:37 AM
Okay, I have a first working draft of the flange creator done in Visual Basic Express 2008. My main focus was how to create the solids and booleans using the SDK -- I leave the finer bits of user interface to you. Hope you find this useful!

Kevan

Many Thanks Kevan,
                            I can do a great deal with this example as all the syntax with VS Express was new to me. I have tried all your example routines with VB Express, Delphi vbs and everything works on my machine just fine. I am really happy that you have joined the SDK Facet of the forum Kevan, what a difference it makes when somebody with so many Programming languages under his belt is at hand to iron out problems. I honestly believe that Turbocad programmability will take off from this point, and that in a years time we will have major interest and development of routines going on with Turbocad just like Autocad.

Michael Geraghty.   :)

* June 10, 2009, 06:33:50 AM

Kevan

Just out of curiosity Kevan, who is "Michael Gehringer" referenced in the example file ??.

* June 10, 2009, 06:56:09 AM
Ah. Er... heheh.... I was going from memory... Sorry about that!  ::) I'll fix it.

Update: Fixed zip file posted with proper credit in the comments.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:56:01 AM by kchapman »

* June 10, 2009, 07:16:26 AM
I honestly believe that Turbocad programmability will take off from this point, and that in a years time we will have major interest and development of routines going on with Turbocad just like Autocad.

Thanks Michael, that is certainly the hope!

Do you mind if I post your preliminary notes along with the flange sample on the Contributions board?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:54:51 AM by kchapman »

* June 10, 2009, 09:46:57 AM
Hello Kevan,
                  By all means post the the associated outline notes related to the Flange Routine on the Contributions Board. I have added a degrees to radians routine to the example upto now for rotating the flange to two hole top, and added an image of the flange dimensions.It took me a while to figure out why the flange would not rotate the correct number of degrees with being out of touch with programming for a while, and then realised that the rotate routine needed Radians. The next step I will take is either a routine to import csv data or Excel data. As I said earlier, it may pay me to do more of the calcs in Excel , like the degrees to radians and some of the other routines, as this will reduce the number of variables in the finished Tool or add-on.

* June 19, 2009, 03:17:56 PM
Hello Kevan, Just noticed that you are online. I have not gone any further with my example at present, because my mother has been in hospital for the last few weeks, and have been fully occupied. I wiil continue my further development in the coming weeks, just trying to get some work done on my Turbocad Challenge entry tonight.

* June 22, 2009, 08:22:25 AM
No problem Michael -- I hope your mother is doing better!

* July 02, 2009, 07:12:50 PM

That's good news Kevan. I have also started a Delphi version of the same routine, but am going back over syntax and usage of Delphi at the same time, so very slow for me at present. I have created a form with an imagebox, a stringgrid, and a combobox. At present, just for debugging, I have loaded a csv file into the stringgrid, and then put a combobox to select the various sizes, although selecting the relevant row in the stringgrid is what I will do eventually.The imagebox holds an  an image of the relevant dimensions, which will also cater for a user defined flange at a later date. I have not gone into any of the relevant turbocad library properties as yet, as I am just trying to get the peripheral parts up and running first. Also in relation to the dimension variables in the Excel file, the extra calculations would probably be better done in Excel eventually, and then a lesser number of variables and calculations would be required in the finished add-on or tool. I will keep you informed as I progress to a basic example.

I might be able to help a bit now. Time might free up a touch.

I have the Architect 2007 Delphi and a Interbase data server at my disposal -- and have designed and programmed with Delphi since the original Beta version.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX