TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

AutoCAD file compatibility
Read 5415 times
* August 15, 2010, 02:23:35 PM
I am using TurboCAD 12.5 to design the framing of a room addition for my home. The problem is exchanging drawings with professional engineers. My drawings use only very basic design elements, so this is not about compatibility for fancy features.

The first engineer I worked with was using Autodesk Design Review 2010 to open my files. I exported .dwg and dwf files containing model space and one paper space and sent to him. He was able to open them and mark them up. However, when I got them back, I couldn't see his markups. Instead I saw this: The model space is now empty. There are 3 paper spaces, one of which is empty and two that shows the original drawing witout markups.

Now I am working with another engineer. She is using AutoCAD 2011, which is brand new to her. Again, she is able to view my files. We haven't yet had a chance to test whether her files, or my files marked up by her, will work in my program.

These may not be the last engineers I work with, so I'd like to have a broad understanding of what will work with what. Can anyone explain the problems I had reading my files after markup by Autocad Design Review 2010? What should be my expectation for 2-way exchange of files with AutoCAD 2011? Will I always have trouble when the other program is more recent than mine? What if anything would I gain by updating my software with respect to file compatibility specifically?

August 15, 2010, 03:33:14 PM
I have exchange many files with engineers  without issue.  We use DWG exclusively.  I suspect that as long as your engineer's files are in a DWG format compatible with your version of turbo cad he should be OK.

I use V12 also which will work with a 2004/2005 DWG but if I remember right somebody suggested once suggested that I use the 2000 version, so I always have.

I don't know, but maybe the issues with the first engineer came from them using a viewer instead of a AutoCAD program.  But really, I don't know.

Alan H.

TC v12.5  platinum build 58.6 w/vista 32bit

* August 15, 2010, 04:04:19 PM
Alan, are you saying that you are exporting a 2000 dwg from TC 12?

August 15, 2010, 04:14:10 PM
Alan, are you saying that you are exporting a 2000 dwg from TC 12?

Yes, but more important is that they export to you a compatible version because you have the older software.

Alan H.

* August 16, 2010, 01:28:24 PM
Alan, when I look at the selections under "save as type", I don't see any selection that would let me save as dwg 2000. What am I missing?

August 16, 2010, 02:49:38 PM
Alan, when I look at the selections under "save as type", I don't see any selection that would let me save as dwg 2000. What am I missing?

As you  "save as"  check in the "set up" you will find it.

Alan H.

* August 21, 2010, 01:01:44 PM
My setup has only "compression" and "full precision"

August 21, 2010, 02:56:49 PM
My setup has only "compression" and "full precision"

You have to pick "DWG" as file type first, then go into the Setup menu to select the version.  "Setup" always works in relation to whichever file type you have selected.  You see "compression" and "full precision" because that Setup dialog refers to the TCW file type, which is the default option.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* August 23, 2010, 04:08:49 PM
That really helps, thank you both!

August 23, 2010, 06:26:01 PM
That really helps, thank you both!

your welcome

Alan H.