TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Venezia Dresser
Read 3850 times
* June 12, 2010, 09:50:32 PM
Here is a studio render of my Venezia dresser. Modeled in TC rendered in Thea.

June 12, 2010, 11:50:12 PM
Very well done.  At that size, I could not distinguish it from a real object.  The shadows were perfect and the wood material was very believable.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 13, 2010, 03:04:17 AM
very nice indeed, I agree with Jeff the wood material is excellent, I haven't heard of Thea but looks ike it does a great job with wood.

thanks for sharing

Andy

* June 13, 2010, 08:06:20 AM
Thanks guys!
The trick with wood is finding good bitmap source images to begin with then scaling them to the correct size for the object being used. It is helpful to know what size the source image is so that it is scaled correctly. In other words if you are taking the image from a piece of wood that is two feet long you don't want to use it for a model that is 10 feet long or vice versa.

Best,

Steve

June 14, 2010, 11:00:48 AM
Nicely done Steve!

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

July 18, 2010, 04:25:02 PM
Here is a studio render of my Venezia dresser. Modeled in TC rendered in Thea.

Superb, and great wood grain.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

July 24, 2010, 10:32:42 AM
That is quite nice and realistic... which brings me to a question regarding the wood grain wrapping.  When using an external rendering program like Thea, how does one deal with certain image wrap direction issues, usually taken care of in TurboCAD by changing an object's internal coordinate system?

Do you do it within Thea itself, or do you have to get the object's coordinate system straight in TurboCAD before exporting to Thea?

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

July 24, 2010, 01:53:08 PM
That is quite nice and realistic... which brings me to a question regarding the wood grain wrapping.  When using an external rendering program like Thea, how does one deal with certain image wrap direction issues, usually taken care of in TurboCAD by changing an object's internal coordinate system?

Do you do it within Thea itself, or do you have to get the object's coordinate system straight in TurboCAD before exporting to Thea?

Of course, very nice as these external programs can be, there is one big disadvantage, in that if the design is changed in any way, a detail or dimension perhaps, there is always more work involved to implement that change in an updated render than if the original program is used. Stresses the importance of trying to get things right first time from an original or early stage...attention to detail, etc etc but even with fastidious attention, invariably the customer will want, or the designer will think of improvements to be made. This is another reason why CAD is so brilliant, it gives so much more opportunity to foresee almost all details before manufacture, resulting in a much closer to perfection result in manufacture first time.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* July 25, 2010, 07:09:11 PM
You are right Alan this is an issue. I usually send non textured models until all the design work is finalized, then send the fully rendered finished shot. But it is more work.
Josh you bring up a good question, All materials are created in thea and the wrapping options are fairly basic in Thea.

Thea is following the uv coordinates of the program that made the model. To be honest I am not really sure how this works in TCAD. So far I have had some issues on more complex models. I am still trying to learn and understand how uv mapping works with different programs.