TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Whew .... a submarine
Read 11932 times
June 04, 2010, 12:33:30 PM
The attached jpg is a render capture of a project that I've been working on for over a month, and is still a work in progress.  This shot, I think, has an appropriately menacing look and pleased me, for the moment, so I thought I'd share it.
     It's been a challenging job from several standpoints. First, the hull was a bear. I finally gave up on lofting attempts and used DelftShip to produce a dxf, which I opened in TC, converted the 3D meshes to TC surfaces, 3D added all of these, then added torpedo tubes (which barely show in the attached shot). Everything else, rudder, conning tower, escape hatches, dive planes, and stabilizers were done entirely in TC.
     The stabilizers required a LOT of lofting trial and error. As ACIS solids, they gave a file size that would not quality render; the dreaded 'out of memory' was the only result. By converting them to TC surfaces, the file size was reduced by over 6 Mb, and rendering became a snap.
     As always, constructive criticisms will be greatly appreciated. Remember, however, that it is a work in progress.

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

* June 04, 2010, 02:12:32 PM
That's a great idea for a TCad project, Don, and it seems to be coming along very nicely. Menacing, indeed.

Henry H

June 04, 2010, 03:02:45 PM
Fantastic project Don. I'm excited to see more.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* June 04, 2010, 05:19:18 PM
Fantastic post Don....or should we call you Ishmael as your sub reminds me of a famous great white whale :)
Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:12:01 PM by Dave Taylor »

* June 04, 2010, 06:47:39 PM
Nice Model Don!
It seems like ship models are the big memory crunch items, not surprising. What was the final file size on this one. Are there internal parts as well?

June 05, 2010, 05:25:04 AM
The present file size is 5918 KB. The file used exclusively for creating a stabilizer as an ACIS solid via lofting is 4325 KB. Converted to a TC surface, the stabilizer has 50,103 facets. There  are, of course, two of these in the full drawing. The entire hull (a TC surface) has 18,378 facets.

So far, the only internal part is the pressure hull. That's very easy to draw since it only consists of several two-profile (circles) lofts. At this moment, I'm thinking of just adding the propellers to complete the outer picture, then putting it aside for a while.

Thanks to all of you for looking, and for the kind comments.

Don

* June 05, 2010, 11:54:35 AM
Great model Don, looks like you got yourself a project to keep you busy when you have 5 minutes to spare, hope to see more of this as it progresses.

Andy

* June 05, 2010, 06:55:45 PM
Lets talk about poly count for a moment, I keep reading posts in other forums of poly counts in the millions, Yet TC gets bogged down in the thousands. Does anyone know why this is an please explain to me How the different modeling engines work. Am I correct in understanding that solid modeling is different then mesh modeling and is there any convergence between the two. I still find modeling in TC to make the most sence it is just that the high poly issue has become a bit of a road block.

June 13, 2010, 10:09:24 AM
After considerable thought, reading of Henry's several posts regarding loft techniques, and time spent, I have succeeded in an all TC, ACIS solid model. The hull was constructed by 3D adding four lofted sections, and the stabilizers by adding two sections. Most importantly, all loft profiles were 'compound', consisting of separate 2D splines and 2D polylines. Combining these into closed polylines gave hundreds of nodes and caused all kinds of problems. The ability to use compound profiles is one of the biggest advantages, IMO, of V17 over V11.
     The working file, consisting of 2D points for offsets, profiles constructed from these, and a couple of images from the USN drawings, along with the ACIS solids produced, gave a file size of only 1935 KB. Disappointingly, it gave 'Out of Memory' on attempting to quality render. Stripping that file of everything but the ACIS solids, didn't reduce file size very much, but the new file would render. In fact, I was able to put in a few more solids and do some 3D subtracts and still have no problems with rendering. The new file size is 2267 KB, slightly larger then the pre-stripped one.
     The attached render is quality Lightworks Raytrace Full with a Light Probe environment using a Hubble photo and Luminance of Simple Environment + Distant + Ambient.

* June 26, 2010, 02:38:39 PM
Love the sub hull - I gave up on that with my type XXI U-Boat cutaway. Hopefully I can get the image to attach showing what i have done so far. I was more interested in the internal detail anyway, but I am going to have to bite the bullet soon and give it another go.

* June 26, 2010, 03:10:32 PM
Love the sub hull - I gave up on that with my type XXI U-Boat cutaway. Hopefully I can get the image to attach showing what i have done so far. I was more interested in the internal detail anyway, but I am going to have to bite the bullet soon and give it another go.

That's a fantastic model.

Henry H

* June 26, 2010, 04:18:43 PM
Cheers Henry :)

It has been a steep learning curve with TC and i don't really get all the rendering possibilties yet. Having a decent set of plans helps - Conway 'anatomy of the ship' series. Thoroughly recommended to anyone  with an interest in marine engineering. Some are more detailed than others, but all contain enough to get your teeth into and drive you mad!

June 26, 2010, 04:44:36 PM
QFE:
     That's an impressive piece of work. The interior of my sub has not been developed yet and your model may serve as the impetus to get me going on it.
     The biggest help in drawing the Tang hull was the set of tables of offsets in the hnsa.org drawings.

Regards,
Don

* June 27, 2010, 05:24:38 PM
Hi Don,

likewise with your exterior model. Now I know that it can be done and with the details you have provided, I should be able to do it...

There was a fantastic programme on tonight in the UK where the BBC followed the construction of the new 'Astute' class nuclear submarine. It was phenominal to see the computer progams that were used to design and plan every last inch of the boat - what a job  to have!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00syt1w

June 28, 2010, 05:52:58 AM
QFE:
     Your BBC programs usually show up, much later, on our PBS; I'll keep an eye out for that one. Thanks for the link.
     I'd be very interested to see your progress on the type XXI.
     To be able to do any internal detail on the Tang, I've started by 'shelling' both the external and pressure hulls. The '...' is because TC refused to do shelling and I had to create, from scratch, reduced size hulls and 3D subtract. With that plus the addition of some more exterior detail, my file size is up to over 6 MB. Although I hold my breath every time I render, so far there's been no problem.

Edit: Unfortunately, the movie at the site you gave is not available in the U.S.

Regards,
Don
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:21:47 AM by Don Ritchie »

* June 29, 2010, 10:33:38 AM
Hi Don,

The whole 3D subtract thing really is a time for crossed fingers on complex models. I used a gaint 3D 'comb' to subtract from a larger cylinder around the pressure hull to create the bulkheads/ribs, but it had to be limtied to about 15 teeth as the program crashed with anything more complex...

I've had a crack at the conning tower casing and adding some of the engine and snorkel trunking. still needs a bit of work and detailing (especiallly the top of the casing) but it is starting to look like a sub.

Hope the internal details are going well on the Tang

June 29, 2010, 12:54:13 PM
Hope the internal details are going well on the Tang

You're leaving me in the dust. That's absolutely great modelling!! I'm surprised that TC has done as well as it has on both your work and mine, but especially on yours; that's a LOT of curvy stuff.

Do you know what is actually used for the stiffener rings?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:56:27 PM by Don Ritchie »

* June 30, 2010, 05:41:49 AM
 :) Unfortunately, I have rather a lot of free time on my hands at the moment due to heath issues, but at least TC has kept me occupied!

The trunking was a Bl**dy nightmare to do - I think I'm going to leave pipes alone for a few days, but I have been impressed with how well TC has done so far considering it is at the 'cheap' end of the 3D CAD market.

Not too sure about he rings around the pressure hull. Best guess is that they are cut from high-grade rolled steel. The ones on the XXI have a  'T' cross section; I gave up on that as you just wouldn't notice the detail as the overhang was just too small.

July 22, 2010, 05:43:45 PM
I've now completed about 90% of the framing and some of the pressure hull interior. The attached captures are ones that pleased me, so I thought I'd share these results to date.

Don

* July 25, 2010, 07:12:20 PM
Fantastic modeling Don!! Any tally on hours so far?

July 26, 2010, 04:28:34 AM
Hammer:
Thanks for the gracious comment.

I'd be embarrassed to report the amount of time spent on this. Suffice it to say: LOTS.

The file size, containing only 3D parts, has reached >24 MB and rendering can only be done in "draft" faceter mode. Even then, more than one render per session is iffy.

* July 27, 2010, 11:02:04 AM
Don,

That is absolutely bl**dy brilliant! VERY impressive work.

July 27, 2010, 12:09:24 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks, QFE.
I hope that your health is on the mend, but that you're still finding time for the U boat.

Regards,
Don

* July 29, 2010, 02:04:41 PM
Health is much better thanks. Still working on the U boat and one or two other projects that have benefitted from the experience gained on the XXI

January 21, 2012, 01:16:21 PM
The link that QFE gave us:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00syt1w
is now available for U.S. viewers.
You can watch it in four segments at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mKzBFuKn4

If you're interested in submarines, it's certainly worth a look.

Don R
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:41:24 PM by Don Ritchie »

January 22, 2012, 02:23:59 AM
Lovely looking models guys, keep up the hard work.

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

January 22, 2012, 03:23:03 AM
lovely images , interesting read , thank you.

* January 22, 2012, 10:38:20 AM
Great Job Don!