TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Drag & Drop jpeg/gif etc
Read 1540 times
* May 06, 2010, 07:12:18 PM
Am I the only one who has had to devise a workaround to Drag & Drop images into TC? It just occurred to me that maybe I should check what others have found.

My situation is that I want to work with jpeg &/or gif files which can be photos, screen grabs etc. Using Insert|File/Picture/Object, the best I get is a reference to the file, but not the file as an image that I can overlay my work on.

I have a workaround that is crude, but if it takes crude to get the job done, then I can do crude :)

The workaround: By installing 602Suite (but not MS Office or other software that I've tried), something happens with file associations which means I am able to Drag & Drop files (jpeg & gif are the 2 I use mostly) from Windows Explorer windows into drawings, & they appear in the drawing beautifully. I'm then able to resize them etc. just like a TC object, however rotating is a bit more fiddly.

It's still a mystery to me why I can't do this with a fresh install of TC, & am prepared for someone to let me in on the secret of what I've been doing wrong.

I'd love to hear of others' experiences.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:14:37 PM by Non_Liquet »

* May 06, 2010, 07:34:01 PM
re: ...Using Insert|File/Picture/Object...

Try "Insert / Picture / From File" instead of "As Object".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 06, 2010, 08:37:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Tried "Insert / Picture / From File" with 602Suite installed, & everything worked well, but after uninstalling 602Suite, not so. Reinstalled 602, & I'm a happy boy again.

It's not stopping me doing my work (remember, I've got the crude workaround), so I'm not too worried, but it would be nice to know what's going on.

* May 06, 2010, 08:59:42 PM
I have no idea what's going on or the need to have this 602Suite software open/installed.

I just go to "Insert/Picture/From File"
browse for an image; Open.
click to establish the upper-left corner of the picture.
pull the cursor down and to the right
click to establish the other lower-right corner.
The picture should appear.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 07, 2010, 06:03:29 PM
"I have no idea what's going on or the need to have this 602Suite software open/installed."

That's exactly how I feel, John.

I've had to do this for as long as I can remember. I've got to remember to keep my 602 install disk on hand whenever I build a new PC. 602 is probably not the only app that would solve my problem, but it is the one that I've got that works for me. The best I can determine is that it is something related to Windows File Associations, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your input.