TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

v17 cannot open file
Read 2132 times
* May 05, 2010, 11:20:15 PM
My apologies in advance if this question has already been dealt with elsewhere. I haven't been able to find anything, but would appreciate a link to the relevant topic if it exists.

I've just installed v17, & can't open some of my old .tcw files. I'm able to open most files, right back to v4, but there are some recent files which give the error "Failed to open ...file name... :Loading Graphics".

The problem files seem to be ones that behaved strangely in my previous TC version (v15). The problems I was having were to do with parts of the 3D model I was building disappearing. I would come back the next day to continue working where I left off, only to find that great portions of the model had disappeared. The .bak file was good for recovering most of the lost model, but I never felt comfortable with that file again - there were 3 or 4 of these files over time. Even though there were problems with these files, TC (up to v15) would open them of a fashion, but now v17 won't.

Is it a common issue? Is there a remedy/workaround? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Is v17 clever enough to recognise a corrupt .tcw file? What should I do?

So many questions. Any takers for answers?

Once again, sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere previously, & I would appreciate some help/guidance/whatever, as to how to deal with v17 not opening all files.

* May 05, 2010, 11:40:51 PM
Does the drawing have PartTree information? If it does, on a copy, turn off the PartTree in V15 and Save, then see if this copy opens in V17.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 06, 2010, 04:02:05 AM
John, thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately there is no Part Tree information in the problem drawing I'm looking at.

I've managed to get the file opened by v17, by deleting heaps of the model in v15. It was a 17MB file beforehand. It's now a 3MB file. I'll continue to play, & by a process of elimination I may find a component of the model which is causing the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

May 06, 2010, 08:02:25 AM
I had a similar problem after I changed my graphics driver to allow Redsdk to work (as instructed by the program).  Redsdk didn't work.  My drawing would not load or were incomplete on the screen when they did load.  Once I reverted to my original driver the problem went away.

Tom

* May 06, 2010, 08:29:58 AM
 Are there any x-refs?  If so, try removing them from the drawing (I'm assuming you can still open the file in v15) and save a copy.  Then try re-opening in 17.

If it will open in 17, do not reload the xrefs and save again in 17 though.  I've found that if you do that, you won't be able to get back in and remove the xrefs, which may be causing the problem.

Cameron Blair

* May 07, 2010, 02:09:24 AM
Coaster: No x-refs in file.

Gamma: I wonder if you're onto something.

I have wondered if the problems may have arisen due to issues outside of TC, but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks everyone for your responses. You have shown me that there are are number of different situations which can cause the same problem.

I'll keep investigating at my end, & if I find a solution to my particular scenario, I'll post it here.