TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

polylines
Read 2468 times
* March 11, 2010, 09:34:08 AM
Hello and thank you to everyone for being so kind here.  I am a newbie and have tried to look for the answer in the help and forum to no avail.  I would like to know if I can convert a polyline into a solid?  I am using TC 15 Deluxe 2d/3d.

thank you

* March 11, 2010, 09:52:37 AM
Hello and thank you to everyone for being so kind here.  I am a newbie and have tried to look for the answer in the help and forum to no avail.  I would like to know if I can convert a polyline into a solid?  I am using TC 15 Deluxe 2d/3d.

thank you

You can either Extrude the polyline, or go to its Properties page and assign a 3D Thickness. (Double click on the polyline to open its Properties dialog.)

Henry H

* March 11, 2010, 01:42:16 PM
H.H.,  sorry I screwed up and did not describe what I was trying to do clearly. I would like to take a shape like a square made out of 3d polylines and change it to a solid. First I must close the 3d polylines somehow and then extrude them but I cannot figure out how.

Thanks HH and everyone.

March 11, 2010, 02:30:23 PM
I tried some experiments with a 3D Polyline (sort of like a square, but slanted).  I specified different coordinate systems in different ways.  I also changed between World and Entity coordinates.

Every extrusion went parallel to the World Z axis with the highest face parallel to XY (this means the result was rectangular solid and a wedge (if I specified the Height large enough to compensate for the angle of the 3D Polyline).

I was unable to get the Extrusion to be orthogonal to the plane of the 3D Polyline.

This is not what I expected.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 11, 2010, 02:44:27 PM
H.H.,  sorry I screwed up and did not describe what I was trying to do clearly. I would like to take a shape like a square made out of 3d polylines and change it to a solid. First I must close the 3d polylines somehow and then extrude them but I cannot figure out how.

Thanks HH and everyone.

Turn on "Workplane by entity" in the Workplane toolbar or in Workspace|Workplane and click one of the existing 3D polylines. Then select all of them and go to Format|Place on Workplane. Select one of the polylines using the Edit mode; click on one of its endpoints; move it aside a little, then move it to the endpoint of the neighboring polyline and press "V" on the keyboard. This action makes the endpoints of the two neighboring polylines coincident. Repeat with the next polyline until you've paired up all endpoints. Finally, select them all; click the "Join Polyline" toolbutton (or go to Modify|Join Polyline); click the "3D Polyline" icon on the Inspector Bar (or choose "3D Polyline) from the Local Menu; click the Finish flag on the Inspector Bar (or choose "Finish Join Polyline" from the Local Menu.

There are a couple of things you should be aware of:

1. If the existing 3D Polylines don't all lie on a single plane, you may not be able to extrude the result.

2. It's not always necessary to go through the Place on Workplane and connect endpoints procedures, but it's difficult or impossible to tell beforehand whether it will be necessary -- so go ahead and do it.

3. A 2D profile is generally used for extruding. Only rarely is it advantageous to use 3D Polylines for this purpose.

Henry h

* March 12, 2010, 01:04:56 PM
Thank you Sirs, that answered my question.  :D