TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Bug Catcher
Read 236 times
* May 17, 2020, 02:58:47 PM
Tongue-in-cheek Beta testers' coat of arms, dating from 2001...

Henry H

* May 17, 2020, 03:15:47 PM
Amazing what could be done in the early 3D versions of TurboCAD. Nice one.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 17, 2020, 04:25:50 PM
Love it, Henry.
Nice boots!
Agree with John, to think you did this 20 years! ago, amazing.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP TurboCad Platinum >2020- 2019-2018-2017-21-20-19 and 18.Using only LightWorks (no Redsdk plugin installed), Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,

May 18, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Great job on this Henry. Definitely some history you have with TC. I am curious how you came to be acquainted with TurboCAD and how soon after you became a Beta tester. Care to share?

May 18, 2020, 10:43:06 AM
Great job on this Henry. Definitely some history you have with TC. I am curious how you came to be acquainted with TurboCAD and how soon after you became a Beta tester. Care to share?

Me too.  That sounds like an Alvin question.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 18, 2020, 02:35:08 PM
Don and Alvin...

I started with TCad version 2. Didn't especially like it and switched to a different CAD program whose name I forget. Then I read an article--in PC Magazine, I think--that praised TurboCAD highly, so I gave TCad another chance and eventually came to terms with it. Upgraded to v3 when that became available and almost jumped ship again because it just didn't run well on my 'puter. Grabbed v4 when I could and fell in love with it. Version 5 was the first to offer 3D (in TCad itself; a 3D modeler was available as an accompaniment earlier on). Version 6 provided the first approach to photorealism, and I remember being floored by some of John R's drawings. Rob Berry invited me to join the Beta team during one of the last v6 evolutions.

Henry H

May 18, 2020, 03:03:46 PM
Don and Alvin...

I started with TCad version 2. Didn't especially like it and switched to a different CAD program whose name I forget. Then I read an article--in PC Magazine, I think--that praised TurboCAD highly, so I gave TCad another chance and eventually came to terms with it. Upgraded to v3 when that became available and almost jumped ship again because it just didn't run well on my 'puter. Grabbed v4 when I could and fell in love with it. Version 5 was the first to offer 3D (in TCad itself; a 3D modeler was available as an accompaniment earlier on). Version 6 provided the first approach to photorealism, and I remember being floored by some of John R's drawings. Rob Berry invited me to join the Beta team during one of the last v6 evolutions.

Henry H

Thanks Henry. Well I am sure you came back to it after your first experience, because we have sure benefited from all you have shared so freely over the years.

One last question. Were you already retired from your work as an engineer when you first got TC or did you get it to use with your work?

* May 18, 2020, 03:06:26 PM
Don and Alvin...

Henry H

Thanks Henry. Well I am sure you came back to it after your first experience, because we have sure benefited from all you have shared so freely over the years.

One last question. Were you already retired from your work as an engineer when you first got TC or did you get it to use with your work?

Already retired.

Henry H

* May 18, 2020, 08:24:29 PM
re: …Version 5 was the first to offer 3D (in TCad itself; a 3D modeler was available as an accompaniment earlier on).…

From my recollection, it's TurboCAD SolidModeler and was bought from Corel. IMSI tried to pedal it for $999.95. I don't think it went far. 6 months or a year later it was going for $99.95. I think this had the ACIS engine and was integrated into TurboCAD.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* May 20, 2020, 12:53:32 AM
Solid Modeler was originally CorelCAD, and it was a bit shaky originally because the first ACIS kernel had problems, memory leakage and some other hiccups, but it ran alongside mainstream V5, which was 3D built on top of 4.1, with LISP command line and a BASIC interpreter, which was designer, deluxe and Pro with ACIS.  Pro was an unstable horrorshow, frankly, but I began with designer and used it comfortably for a year or so.  It didn't have 3D meshes or lofting, all you could do was prism and add them, or 3D faces with 3 or 4 vertices, and it only had one paperspace, so I used to use alternative viewports for each paperspace when needed.  Solid Modeler was upgraded to 2.1 with ACIS 4, and became a lot better, I've still got it living on this PC.  It's got associative history tree, shelling, lofting, sophisticated blending and edge treatments, scripting, LightWorks, output to .sat, .dxf, IGES (not very good) and .stl, almost the only accessible .stl output at the time, as well as .ccd, which was its own project format.  It doesn't have a 2D environment, though, which is where TC 4.1 came in.   V5 Pro crashes if you try to save .sat, and it claims to do IGES too, which quirkily disappeared in V6 and came back in later versions.  They stopped selling Solid Modeler during V6's run, and if you try to install SM it tells you that it's no longer supported - but if you install it, then upgrade to 2.1, it'll register online and run.    Then they did a better job of ACIS integration in V7 with shelling and blending and it became a proper hybrid being able to switch between solids and surfaces.    Solid Modeler is still pretty impressive for two decades and more back.  The first version inflicted reputational damage that it didn't recover from, unjustly, IMO.  When SolidWorks was first developed, they tried ACIS and Parasolid kernels, and very quickly settled on Parasolid because of ACIS' problems.  ACIS has been well developed since then, even AutoCAD has it, although Autodesk bought a permanent license at V7 and then went their own way, but if you want to import TC solids into AC, save them as .sat V7 and they'll pass.   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:12:52 AM by murray dickinson »

* May 20, 2020, 07:14:33 AM
The one thing I remember about TurboCAD 4 & 5 was the "MFC42.DLL" fiasco. Microsoft changed this DLL and TurboCAD stopped working. It seemed like months of trying this or that idea until they came up with putting the old DLL in TurboCAD's "Program" folder, so TC would ‘see’ this copy first and ignore the newer Windows copy elsewhere.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* May 20, 2020, 07:47:23 AM
Yeah, you helped me out with that, John. 

May 20, 2020, 09:32:35 AM
"MFC42.DLL" =  >:( --> the stuff of nightmares!   ;D

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit