TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Right Hand Thread Drawing
Read 278 times
* May 10, 2020, 01:00:03 PM
I'm making a section of right hand thread for a printing project.  Being conceptually challenged, having trouble determining if I got it right.

Having newly discovered the "Revolve" function, I started out with a 2d profile of the modified "V" shape of the thread.  Then revolved the profile 360 degrees.  Finally, went to the "Selection Info" Palett, set the desired pitch and number of rotations and direction of rotation.  Came out looking just like a section of threaded rod (yea!).

My question involves the direction of rotation.  Intuitively, it seemed that rotating the thread profile along the axis at the entered pitch was similar to using a tap or a die to cut threads - clockwise rotation for right handed threads.  Did it that way and it looks right.  Even compared it to a large threaded bolt.  However, the more I look at it the more my eyes play tricks on me. 

I'd like to know if I got it right (correct) before I head to the printer.  So, my question is, direction of rotation to make a right handed thread?  I did it clockwise - did I get a right handed thread?

May 10, 2020, 02:03:09 PM
"Right-handed" as in "righty tighty; lefty loosey"?

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 10, 2020, 02:05:59 PM
Yes.

May 10, 2020, 02:13:03 PM
I get Revolve=Clockwise, =righty-tighty

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 10, 2020, 03:09:15 PM
Maybe left hand thread vs right hand thread on Google would help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* May 10, 2020, 03:36:19 PM
I'm making a section of right hand thread for a printing project.  Being conceptually challenged, having trouble determining if I got it right.

Having newly discovered the "Revolve" function, I started out with a 2d profile of the modified "V" shape of the thread.  Then revolved the profile 360 degrees.  Finally, went to the "Selection Info" Palett, set the desired pitch and number of rotations and direction of rotation.  Came out looking just like a section of threaded rod (yea!).

My question involves the direction of rotation.  Intuitively, it seemed that rotating the thread profile along the axis at the entered pitch was similar to using a tap or a die to cut threads - clockwise rotation for right handed threads.  Did it that way and it looks right.  Even compared it to a large threaded bolt.  However, the more I look at it the more my eyes play tricks on me. 

I'd like to know if I got it right (correct) before I head to the printer.  So, my question is, direction of rotation to make a right handed thread?  I did it clockwise - did I get a right handed thread?

Render the object to make it easier to see its handedness.

Henry H
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:51:13 PM by Henry Hubich »

May 10, 2020, 06:29:17 PM
I think too, that it may be one or the other depending on your workplane. I have been confused before on this, thinking I should go clockwise, when I should have gone counterclockwise. Always good to check like Henry shows. If you check right away it is only a couple undos to go back and redo.

* May 10, 2020, 10:07:39 PM

Henry H

Mine matches the RH thread rendering you show.  That reassures me I've got it.  Thanks.

* May 11, 2020, 06:10:06 PM

Henry H

Mine matches the RH thread rendering you show.  That reassures me I've got it.  Thanks.

Glad to help.

Henry H