TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

New Forum
Read 49894 times
May 16, 2009, 11:03:57 AM
Thanks guys, so easy after all!

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* May 16, 2009, 02:32:06 PM

This can be edited in the style sheet of the theme.  Not sure if we want to edit the default theme or create a new one based on user feedback. 

If you want the quotes to look even worse try switching to the Babylon theme.  You can change your theme in Look and Layout preferences of your profile. 

I am open to suggestions on themes we should add.  If anyone knows of a real good one shoot me a message. 

Rip,

I don't know if this is what you'd want, but what do you think about this Mod(ifier) file for a text drop-down list?

D Fishback

* May 16, 2009, 03:30:12 PM
I love the new forum!!  Great work TCAD!!!

When I upgraded our old forum I received all the same "whoa is me".  In the end it was the best thing for everyone and those same people would agree now. As for the "wealth of information" in the old forum this was soon forgotten.

People by human nature resist change - Entrepreneurs (such as myself and those at TCAD) are an anomaly in that we/they crave change and realize it is fundamental to growth and progress. We will always lead others forward while they kick and scream.

Get busy posting people and this forum will soon surpass the old one in more up to date and relevant "wealth of information".

* May 17, 2009, 07:07:17 AM

When I upgraded our old forum I received all the same "whoa is me".  In the end it was the best thing for everyone and those same people would agree now. As for the "wealth of information" in the old forum this was soon forgotten.

People by human nature resist change - Entrepreneurs (such as myself and those at TCAD) are an anomaly in that we/they crave change and realize it is fundamental to growth and progress. We will always lead others forward while they kick and scream.

Get busy posting people and this forum will soon surpass the old one in more up to date and relevant "wealth of information".

I recognize that a new forum might be necessary for technical reasons, and because new forum members might be more familiar with this updated format.  However, there is no benefit to "change" that does not add value.  Many of the supporters of the old forum format are self-employed entrepreneurs who perhaps have a clearer idea of the necessity for change.  Change that adds to productivity is good; change for the sake of change is a diversion from productive work and should be avoided.  I have seen many companies lose money by chasing technology. They would have been better served by learning the processes essential to their business.

Many TurboCad users continue to maintain inventories of old files and old versions of TurboCad in order to work on them.  When these files are needed, information on how to recover them will only be available from the data stored on the old forum.  How will this be replaced?

Another aspect of the old forum that many members enjoyed was the atmosphere of civility;  I hope that this aspect, at least, will continue on the new forum.

For the record,  I intend to try and adapt to the new format, and continue to wish success to IMSIDesign.  But I recognize and share the legitimate concerns of those who will miss the old format.

Sincerely,

JoeM

* May 17, 2009, 11:31:47 PM
I don't have time to scan the forum every day.
In the old forum it was easy to pick out threads that had been updated since the last time I looked, but how do I do it with this one?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* May 18, 2009, 12:15:21 AM
In the old forum it was easy to pick out threads that had been updated since the last time I looked, but how do I do it with this one?

Click the "view the most recent posts" link in the "forum stats" box near the bottom of the home page and navigate to the threads from there.  Or, in the category thread lists, the RH column shows the date of the most recent posts, and "today" or "yesterday" where appropriate.  The thread list ranks the topics most recently posted or replied to ie, the top thread is the one that got an update most recently.

* May 18, 2009, 12:20:20 AM

Thoughtful people resist change for it's own sake.  It's captivating to one phase of a short attention span, not the hallmark of enterprise.  The forums have been contemporary and relevant by virtue of their content and contributors, not of their format. 

* May 18, 2009, 12:55:30 AM

Another way to see what's new is to log on and look for the "New" button at the end of the thread title. Click on the "New" icon to take you where the latest posting's start. No need to scroll down or click through several pages of postings. From what I can tell, new postings will bump the thread to the top of the list, just like the old forum.

Also, depending on the theme used, the icons in the first column of the main page will give you an indication of what has new postings and what doesn't.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:17:26 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

May 18, 2009, 10:52:24 AM
Change is always difficult but often necessary. I am working hard to develop more synapses and ward off the alzheimers by learning this new forum.  Great to see that most of the regulars are back and participating.

Does anyone know if there is a spell checker associated with this new forum?  One of my weaknesses!

(edit) I feel dumb, just saw the spell check button.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:32:51 AM by coxwelljon »

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 18, 2009, 11:04:14 AM
I can only speak for the web browser that I use, but Mozilla Firefox will underline a misspelled word in red and if I was really confused on how to spell it, I could highlight the word, right click, and it will give me a list of possible options as to what I was trying to type.

I think Internet Explorer doesn't come standard with this option, but it can be added via a plug-in or something, but it always annoyed me that it didn't come with the program.  The benefit to Firefox is that this spell checking feature works ANYWHERE you can type text, not just on this forum.

* May 18, 2009, 12:03:04 PM
(edit) I feel dumb, just saw the spell check button.  >:(

I believe they just added the spell check button in the past couple of hours.
Ask and you will receive. ;-)

Any misspellings show up with a red dotted underline for me; it may be a feature within Foxfire.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 18, 2009, 12:32:04 PM

Any misspellings show up with a red dotted underline for me; it may be a feature within Foxfire.

John R.

Ha!  Yes, the spell check button certainly wasn't there when I made my reply earlier today.

The red underline is a standard feature of FireFox.

May 18, 2009, 01:17:26 PM

I thought I had lost another synapse.  Back to work!

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 20, 2009, 12:18:39 AM

I use Firefox and maybe the underlying code is standard, but it doesn't do anything without a dictionary. Dictionaries are installed as optional Addons.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* May 20, 2009, 03:47:25 AM

I use Firefox and maybe the underlying code is standard, but it doesn't do anything without a dictionary. Dictionaries are installed as optional Addons.

Do you need a dictionary or just a spell checker?  If you just need to know how to spell a word that has the red underline, highlight said word, right click and you'll be given a list of possible options for the proper spelling.

* May 20, 2009, 08:14:45 AM
You sure you have to highlight the underlined (non-)word first?

D Fishback

* May 20, 2009, 11:54:00 AM
You sure you have to highlight the underlined (non-)word first?

No, I guess you don't need to highlight it, I just always assumed you did.

Either way, if a forum you are on doesn't include the spell check feature and you happen to be a Firefox user, you can rest assured that you will still have spell checking capabilities.  As far as this dictionary stuff is concerned, I really don't know anything about it...I never installed an additional addons for Firefox...I just downloaded and installed it and I have full spell checking features.  If you're talking about needing a built-in dictionary because you don't know the definition of the word you're trying to use, then no, Firefox doesn't have that as a standard option.

May 22, 2009, 05:37:22 PM
Personally, I like this type of forum. Keeps the flow of a topic going rather than jumping back and forward as with the old forum.

If the old forum can still be kept 'active' somewhere as there is a very large amount of information there, but over time, the questions will get asked and the information will be back.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

* May 22, 2009, 09:26:59 PM
Either way, if a forum you are on doesn't include the spell check feature and you happen to be a Firefox user, you can rest assured that you will still have spell checking capabilities.  As far as this dictionary stuff is concerned, I really don't know anything about it...I never installed an additional addons for Firefox...I just downloaded and installed it and I have full spell checking features.  If you're talking about needing a built-in dictionary because you don't know the definition of the word you're trying to use, then no, Firefox doesn't have that as a standard option.

That was just me jumping in, Tim, but I take it your answer was for lemel_man. (I've been using Firefox for years.) Just wondered if you had to highlight the misspelled word while I didn't. Thought it might save a few million mouse clicks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:41:54 PM by Don F »

D Fishback

* May 22, 2009, 09:40:03 PM
Personally, I like this type of forum. Keeps the flow of a topic going rather than jumping back and forward as with the old forum.

If the old forum can still be kept 'active' somewhere as there is a very large amount of information there, but over time, the questions will get asked and the information will be back.

Hi, Steve. Good to see you over here, but most of us like the Indented / Threaded view, so your vote doesn't count.  ;D  (Just kiddin')

Seriously though, some do like this Flat view, but some of the "key members" seem to be holding out because of it. I'm hoping for a software update where each user can choose (like on Yahoo Groups.)

*edit* Almost forgot - the archive of the original forum has been discussed in several places on this site. Short answer - They plan to keep it accessible for as long as possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:49:30 PM by Don F »

D Fishback

May 23, 2009, 12:48:10 AM
Hey Don, nice to see you here too!

Yeah, I can see that some 'old hands' are not here yet and I guess they are just in lookin' to what is going on.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

May 26, 2009, 11:08:53 PM
Forum software:
Looks like this one is set in stone, but if it falls out of favour, Mega BBS may be worth a consideration. It looks like a simple forum software offering, very easy to change type of view on the fly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)