TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

New Forum
Read 49805 times
May 12, 2009, 01:45:02 AM
Well,
We often said we wanted to keep our old format.
This seems to have lots of bells and whistles and you can now see what we look like!
If you dare?
Best of luck with the new format
Geoff

Geoff Malthouse

May 12, 2009, 03:42:41 AM
When I suggested this format (PHPbb2) a couple years ago, I got beat up pretty bad. Who woulda thunk?

???

Mike...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:39:07 PM by mikeschn »

May 12, 2009, 06:19:08 AM
But we seem to have one little problem to overcome ...

Each post should state which version the message relates to?
Otherwise the very next question will come back asking the obvious.

Geoff Malthouse

May 12, 2009, 06:26:56 AM
I'm finding the requirement to decipher and input the verification letters for personal replies and other edits somewhat irksome!
Not something my mature eyes are as good at nowadays ...   :(

Geoff Malthouse

May 12, 2009, 07:35:37 AM
I'm finding the requirement to decipher and input the verification letters for personal replies and other edits somewhat irksome!

I recommend one of those really big flat panel monitors. I think mine is a 23" wide screen. And I've seen 24" widescreens at the store...  :)

Mike...

* May 12, 2009, 08:28:50 AM
Each post should state which version the message relates to?
Otherwise the very next question will come back asking the obvious.
[/quote]

There needs to be more folders such as v 16 v15 v14 etc etc just as before!!!!! :(

Tom

May 12, 2009, 10:35:15 AM
The organization of this forum is different and its something we will have to get use too.  What made sense in the old forums may not always make sense in these.  We want to make this transition as easy as possible for everybody and appreciate any suggestions. Since we will not be bringing over the posts from the older forums, it is probably unnecessary to split up the forum by version.  If somebody is posting a problem they should specify which version of TC they are using.  If this becomes a problem we will come up with another solution.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 12, 2009, 11:15:10 AM
...wondering if possible to go back in the posting and make changes at a later time  that user created.

See the Modify button above your own posts.

D Fishback

* May 12, 2009, 11:31:52 AM
I agree with Rip that the version categories are unnecessary. It seems that most posts were always in the newer versions anyway, and questions in the earlier ones didn't likely get as much viewership. This way, early-version questions can be right out there in the heavy traffic.

What I think is most sadly missing is the indented format that the original TC forums use. It is so much easier to follow a dialogue when the reply is right below the replied-to post. The format that PHP uses seems primitive, compared to lots of others I've used. Maybe they'll work on that?

D Fishback

May 12, 2009, 11:49:00 AM
What I think is most sadly missing is the indented format that the original TC forums use. It is so much easier to follow a dialogue when the reply is right below the replied-to post.

I could not agree with you more.  This was the reason we used the older style forum as long as we did.  We will have to get used to quoting others and creating new topics. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 12, 2009, 12:34:22 PM
I could not agree with you more.  This was the reason we used the older style forum as long as we did.  We will have to get used to quoting others and creating new topics. 

This layout is how most modern forums are setup, so hopefully it won't be that big of a transition for those of us that belong to a multitude of other online forum groups.  I do wish that Simple Machines would get a multi-quote feature going...

May 12, 2009, 01:04:28 PM
The abrupt nature of the change and the loss of the lessons learned in the old forum do not reflect well on IMSIDesign.  I also miss the familiar names (many of whom seem to have not made the transition) who provided much of the expert advice I've come to rely on. >:(
Regards,
Bill Cain
Berkeley, CA

Bill Cain, S.E., C.E.
Berkeley, CA
TC v20 Platinum
Win 7 (desktop) Win 8 (laptop)
User since v4

* May 12, 2009, 01:22:19 PM
The abrupt nature of the change and the loss of the lessons learned in the old forum do not reflect well on IMSIDesign.  I also miss the familiar names (many of whom seem to have not made the transition) who provided much of the expert advice I've come to rely on. >:(
Regards,
Bill Cain
Berkeley, CA
I agree its going to be a great loss for all. And large amount of talent will be lost .It will be decades to it pull back together  :'(   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:18:46 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* May 12, 2009, 02:17:03 PM
<quote author=Geoff>…and you can now see what we look like!</quote>

You can turn off the avatars in the "Look and Layout Preferences" section of your user Profile. Icons I can put up with, but I really dislike having to look at someones picture all the time.

I'm still not sold on this rinky-dink software, as it's very hard to follow a conversation, plus some of the features don't work. I think they would've been better off collapsing all the old version forums (V2—V10.5 or 11) into one general forum and keep 12, 14, 15 & 16 as is. When a new version is brought out, move the oldest version into the General forum.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

May 12, 2009, 03:20:39 PM
Re: New Forum

Just a couple of observations. Change is always unfriendly and challenging at first.  But we are cad people, we live in a changing environment.
We wait for software changes each year or updates.  We have customers that request changes all the time and my favorite- the email from
the engineer making a change after the item has been thru the approval process and the in-house checking and sent to the fabricator. We will
change and make the best of it.

I also, see since I signed up that nearly three times the people have signed up.  We may lose some past postings but we still have the good people that have shared all these years.

John, I agree with the pics, so posted my Grandson's.  He's a cool dude.

Have a Good Day.
Pat

* May 12, 2009, 03:28:39 PM
Sorry - but I'm not impressed at all, just took me nearly an hour to register, kept refusing to show me the pictures of the letters I was surposed to type in, and now it displays the posts but every page gets stuck trying to download something callled search.gif, tried on both desktop and laptop (different browsers).

not a good start to a new forum.

Andy

May 12, 2009, 03:33:39 PM
I agree.  The quotes print is too small and I have a flat screen 26".  Viewsonic recommends 1920 x 1200, which makes the print too small.  I use the AVS forum and like their layout.  It seems easier to follow and is easier to read.  I tried to bump up the "text size" on IE which helps, but then I have to bump it back down everytime I am not on this forum.  Is there anyway they can make the text the same size and just keep the light colored box for quotes??

I would put my picture up but I'm afraid I might bring the site down.  ;D

Are all of us newbies again?  I had to re-register for this site because it would not recognize my old name and password.  (Nevermind, if Rip is a Newbie, I'm Jason Bourne!) ;D  

IMSI has to do the best it can with the software and hardware available.  I'm sure some tweaking will be needed.  Same fine folks, just a different bag to put us in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:06:37 PM by Chris Bryant »

I have 3 great looking kids, thank God my wife cheats on me.
Using V15.2, Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

May 12, 2009, 04:25:12 PM
I agree with Rip that the version categories are unnecessary. It seems that most posts were always in the newer versions anyway, and questions in the earlier ones didn't likely get as much viewership. This way, early-version questions can be right out there in the heavy traffic.

What I think is most sadly missing is the indented format that the original TC forums use. It is so much easier to follow a dialogue when the reply is right below the replied-to post. The format that PHP uses seems primitive, compared to lots of others I've used. Maybe they'll work on that?

Agreed.
Minor thing, the bookmarks icon is non-descript. The old one stood out! But more importantly, unconvinced this forum software is quite the ticket.

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* May 12, 2009, 04:48:01 PM
<quote author=Don F> ...unconvinced this forum software is quite the ticket.</quote>

Neither am I. I believe it's free and they don't have anyone who knows how to use it properly. I think they should have spent some money and time getting better forum software and an IT person to set it up properly. The Wiki has the same problem, cheap sub-standard software.

John R.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:53:19 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

May 12, 2009, 07:18:58 PM
Welcome to our new house ladies and gentlemens !! Like it or not, it's here and we probably ain't moving for quit some time. BTW, I don't like it but the world is an ever changing place and I will get used to it.

Barry

Barry

* May 12, 2009, 07:32:33 PM
Bells and whistles....I'm going deaf....
Loved the old forum because you logged on, and new threads, or new posts in old threads, were at the top in blue, previously read threads in red. It was so simple to catch up on the latest topics. It was so simple and fast. And of course the indented reply format made you feel you were part of a conversation, not just reading or writing a bunch of individual monologues. Gonna have to work out how to navigate the labyrinth and figure out how you discern new from old and start sticking quotes and emoticons in every post ???, Feel like I've lost an old friend, guess I'll have to get over it. :'( Isn't 'moving forward' the catchcry of the day. I reckon, for the sake of some smily faces and other assorted gismo's, if the old format could have been made to work, 'staying back' wouldn't have been a bad choice.

"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Good point Barry......where is that box of tissues....

May 12, 2009, 10:36:34 PM
Welcome to our new house ladies and gentlemens !! Like it or not, it's here and we probably ain't moving for quit some time. BTW, I don't like it but the world is an ever changing place and I will get used to it.

Barry

Prime opportunity for CadCourse to set one up! Users will simply throw their weight into the best available, or if its bad enough, set our own up [if sufficiently able softwear even exists]. I personally think we haven't even seen really good software yet, and the future will lie with new, more visual icon lead threads, flow chart type visuals etc. which simply hasn't been invented yet. Come on program designers, show some imagination!

Alan.

* May 12, 2009, 11:13:40 PM
It seems that most posts were always in the newer versions anyway, and questions in the earlier ones didn't likely get as much viewership. This way, early-version questions can be right out there in the heavy traffic.

All versions of TurboCad to my viewing always got answered....the  categories should happen here. Lets have a vote. Lets see............... is there a vote section in this sate of the art forum  :(

Tom

* May 13, 2009, 12:14:02 AM

This layout is how most modern forums are setup, so hopefully it won't be that big of a transition for those of us that belong to a multitude of other online forum groups.

Contrary to what Tim said, way back there, somewhere (see what I mean?),... this clumsy, incoherent format is a wave of the dim and distant PAST. I know of two other forums, namely Yahoo! groups and SodaHead, that have the indented, tree-type format. My thinking was, rather than go elsewhere, or grin and bear it, try to twist some arms of the folks who run this site to get them to improve it.

D Fishback

May 13, 2009, 02:42:19 AM
You can turn off the avatars in the "Look and Layout Preferences" section of your user Profile. Icons I can put up with, but I really dislike having to look at someones picture all the time.
John R.

I think it is useful to see your photo.  Perhaps it tells more about the contributor?
I haven't spotted Henry yet.
Are you with us yet Henry?

Geoff
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:22:48 AM by Geoff »

Geoff Malthouse

* May 13, 2009, 03:27:24 AM
re: Henry

I see him in the "Users Online" list every so often.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* May 13, 2009, 06:35:54 AM
..this clumsy, incoherent format is a wave of the dim and distant PAST. I know of two other forums, namely Yahoo! groups and SodaHead, that have the indented, tree-type format.

Hardly the past.  Visit any online automotive enthusiast forum and you will see what I meant in my original post.  Even the two of the largest online forums groups on the internet (Somethingawful.com and Offtopic.com) use this same format.  When I first visited the TurboCAD forums about six months ago, I nearly spit out my soda laughing because I couldn't believe a company such as IMSI trying to create a user support forum would use such the outdated, tree-type layout.  I could never find anything of value with the search engine and the way it displayed the results was a joke.  Speaking of jokes - the login process.  I'm not sure how many times I had to reregister because my cookies were cleared on my browser and I forgot my password and there was no password recovery link in sight.

Yes, if you're new to this type of forum, it's going to take a little bit of time to get used to - just like it took me some time to get used to the "old" style tree-type format, but give it some time.

I am a little disappointed, though, that IMSI skipped the bill on the support community and went with a free Simple Machines forum rather than one like VBAdvanced.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:38:42 AM by Tim »

* May 13, 2009, 10:55:44 AM
...if you're new to this type of forum, it's going to take a little bit of time to get used to - just like it took me some time to get used to the "old" style tree-type format, but give it some time...

Just because I don't like this pre-Cambrian format doesn't mean I'm new to it. It means I don't WANT to get used to it AGAIN. Yahoo Groups started out this way, and then got with the times.

With the tree format, you could see a question, then immediately see all of the replies at once, no matter how much time passed between them. Here, you're forced to read the whole damn thread, whether you want to or not. I still don't understand what happened with Allaire, but nearly all TC Forum users were happy with it.

D Fishback

May 13, 2009, 11:32:35 AM
I can't find the meaning of the stars under our 'Newbie' nickname?
Most of us are single stars some, apparently beta testers, are 5 stars.
And,
What follows 'Newbie' and how many posts per 'title'?

Geoff Malthouse

* May 13, 2009, 05:16:37 PM
How do you reply to someone? This forum sucks! Takes forever for all the stupid yellow faces to load so I can type. The M with the arrow icon is stuck and never stops moving. Waaaaaaay to much distracting crap!

* May 13, 2009, 05:34:29 PM
And,

Your efforts enable you to ascend through the seven circles accumulating wisdom and powers until the sum of all you have achieved is subsumed within the universal soul.  Y'see, the old format didn't DO that.....

* May 13, 2009, 08:35:34 PM
How do you reply to someone? This forum sucks! Takes forever for all the stupid yellow faces to load so I can type. The M with the arrow icon is stuck and never stops moving. Waaaaaaay to much distracting crap!

It might be time to upgrade from the 56.6 AOL service you're on...

* May 13, 2009, 11:50:00 PM
re: How do you reply to someone?

You can't make a direct reply like you could in the old forum. The closest you can get now is to use the "Quote" button. Since quoted text shows up at about half-size and nearly impossible to read, I replace the square brackets [ ] with less/greater than signs < >, so the text remains in a normal readable size. One of the many pitfalls with this type of Forum.

In my opinion, they could/should set this forum up to work as a Newsgroup, just like all the Autodesk forums. Since IMSIDesign tries to emulate many of the features that Autodesk publishes, they should also follow their lead in this area. And it comes in a tree format. :-)

John R

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:13:00 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

May 14, 2009, 02:05:57 AM

You can't make a direct reply like you could in the old forum. The closest you can get now is to use the "Quote" button. Since quoted text shows up at about half-size and nearly impossible to read, I replace the square brackets [ ] with less/greater than signs < >, so the text remains in a normal readable size. One of the many pitfalls with this type of Forum.

Or increase the size of your quote text... I wonder if that's a configurable option in SMF? RIP?

Mike...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:14:08 AM by mikeschn »

* May 14, 2009, 03:11:03 AM
re: Or increase the size of your quote text... I wonder if that's a configurable option in SMF?

DUH!!! :-))
This is why they say two heads are better than one. Thank you.

Rip had mentioned to me that he was going to look at the CSS and see if there's an entry where he can increase the size. I think the circled item in the picture is what he's looking for.
http://forums.turbocad.com/Themes/classic/style.css

John R.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:14:37 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* May 14, 2009, 03:38:45 AM
Geoff
 Henry still with us he register April 22, 2009, 08:48:54 AM he  may busy or something.I'm sure he'll jump back in the game sooner or later.My biggest problem if I wanted get out of the Post reply Dialog frame there no Cancel button.There only Post and Preview buttons.Its obvious all the details in forum design was not worked out.I hope they'll change this.I'm curious is there hyperlink setup available or do we have to go about the old way.Has anybody see anything on this?With these stupid emotion cons and navigational maze.I'm starting to get headache,I'm going to have to take hard tablet and check back with you later.

W.D.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:04:08 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* May 14, 2009, 06:19:52 AM
biggest problem if I wanted get out of the Post reply Dialog frame there no Cancel button

W.D.

Cancel is redundant, really always has been.  Use the browser's back button, or navigate to another page.  Posts or edits only stick if you deliberately post them.

And thanks to Mike and John for hints about quote sizing.  Lookit that, legacy compatibility between old dogs and new tricks...There's also the BBC tags capability.  Highlight text, hit the font size button (dunno about other browsers, assume they're similar, Chrome gives me javascript cues bottom left of the screen when I hover over the buttons) edit in the brackets as it takes your fancy.  Drat!  This is growing on me....

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:43:53 AM by murray dickinson »

May 14, 2009, 07:30:23 AM

In my opinion, they could/should set this forum up to work as a Newsgroup, just like all the Autodesk forums. Since IMSIDesign tries to emulate many of the features that Autodesk publishes, they should also follow their lead in this area. And it comes in a tree format. :-)

John R

I sure hate to be contradictory with you, of all people John, but I would not like the news group approach. Although I loved the Allaire forum, I think I can get used to this one, but not the newsgroup system. Perhaps I got disillusioned when I watched the PSPX1/X2 group for a while. I couldn't believe the in house fighting that went on there and the piles and piles of useless chatter. I know that you watch the PSPX, as you said so - perhaps it is not like that.

As for chasing AC, I wish IMSI would stop doing that. I liked it when AC was chasing IMSI for a while with regards to 3D functionality. I know it probably makes good business sense to chase but I am not keen on the whole premise. I think - make your product awesome and they will come. Follow the turkey into the barn fan and everyone loses their head, as my English teacher was fond of saying.

* May 14, 2009, 08:46:41 AM
 Follow the turkey into the barn fan and everyone loses their head, as my English teacher was fond of saying.
Well put Don I couldn't agree with you more.With regards to the new forum. It has weakness and strengths. Anything beats that old battleship gray background that was in the old forum.I could get by with the new forum also.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:48:27 AM by wd »

* May 14, 2009, 09:24:34 AM
Someone ought to look at the forums at alphasoftware.com. It is similar to this but the layout is much better. I haven't got the foggiest idea what we have here. If I go to the Problems section of this forum, are problems for every version of TC lumped together?  Where are Designer or Floorplan problems. Is there someplace to go like "Options" in the old forum to select what versions we want to see?

* May 14, 2009, 10:54:43 AM
re: I would not like the news group approach

Hi Don, I know a Newsgroup is not the best, but this forum still leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Now when I go to a thread with a new posting, I usually click on the "New" button, which I believe will take me to the latest posting. I'm not sure that it will take me to first "unread" post.
Yes, I'll agree with you about the occasional fight going on in the PSP newsgroup. The person/vegetable that hides behind the Spandex moniker really doesn't know how to speak to people at times and all of a sudden things go very wrong.  Thankfully most of the other troublemakers have gone elsewhere (Adobe).

re: Someone ought to look at the forums at alphasoftware.com.

I looked at the alphasoftware forums and it seems to be the same as this.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* May 14, 2009, 11:32:44 AM
John, you said that the alphasoftware forum seems to be the same as this. Not in my display. At the Alpha Message board, if you pick Alpha Desktop, you are greeted with a screen that gives you the choice of picking the latest version of Alpha, the one before that, the one before that, a Features wish list, and, then, more older versions of Alpha. Thus you pick the version you want to view, just like in the old forum for TC. Once you open the version you want, then you get a forum like this. Give it another look, I think you'll agree.

Bob Muzik

* May 14, 2009, 12:48:51 PM
John, you said that the alphasoftware forum seems to be the same as this. Not in my display. At the Alpha Message board, if you pick Alpha Desktop, you are greeted with a screen that gives you the choice of picking the latest version of Alpha, the one before that, the one before that, a Features wish list, and, then, more older versions of Alpha. Thus you pick the version you want to view, just like in the old forum for TC. Once you open the version you want, then you get a forum like this. Give it another look, I think you'll agree.

Bob Muzik

I see what you're driving at, but all-n-all, it's the same. On the Alpha board, I can click on a sub-forum so only that one is visible. In TurboCAD, it seems the only choice is to collapse the other top-tier forums (02 picture). Once inside, there's hardly any difference. I do like in the Alpha forum that the original post appears in a tooltip format when mousing over a thread title.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

May 14, 2009, 01:43:44 PM
Or increase the size of your quote text... I wonder if that's a configurable option in SMF? RIP?

This can be edited in the style sheet of the theme.  Not sure if we want to edit the default theme or create a new one based on user feedback. 

If you want the quotes to look even worse try switching to the Babylon theme.  You can change your theme in Look and Layout preferences of your profile. 

I am open to suggestions on themes we should add.  If anyone knows of a real good one shoot me a message. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

May 14, 2009, 02:30:07 PM
And,
In my experience, the stars are automatically assigned based on the number of posts you have made and the number of replies your posts have engendered.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

May 15, 2009, 05:09:43 AM
This is an awesome upgrade, in my opinion.
There are so many more possibilities with a forum of this kind.
Great!  ;D

Edit:
I guess the hard thing now is to get everyone up and running with this forum type. Takes some getting used to, I guess, but since I'm pretty much an adolescent kid (at heart, I guess), I've only been to these kinds of forums.

Edit2:
You should also consider to add a sub-forum in the start, called "The Testing Tank" or something like that, where people are allowed to test out forum functions without the fear of being yelled at for not sticking to the topic. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:39:42 AM by Bent »

Bent Sannes - DAKnor
TurboCADdin' since early 2009

* May 15, 2009, 08:43:22 AM
Edit2:
You should also consider to add a sub-forum in the start, called "The Testing Tank" or something like that, where people are allowed to test out forum functions without the fear of being yelled at for not sticking to the topic. Just an idea.

Sort of like the Sandbox in a Wiki site. HTML on this site is limited to very basic HTML coding.

Bold - Bold
Italic - Italic
Underline - Underline
Strikethrough - Strikethrough

Break

Horizontal line

Code: [Select]
Bold - <b>Bold</b>
Italic - <i>Italic</i>
Underline - <u>Underline</u>
Strikethrough - <del>Strikethrough</del>
<br>Break<br>
Horizontal line<hr>

John R

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

May 16, 2009, 02:22:32 AM
Can somebody please kindly explain the easiest way to attach a picture in this forum. [I'm using Firefox browser.]

Alan.

May 16, 2009, 03:39:53 AM
Sure... under additional options use the Attach field. Browse for your picture on your harddisk... double click the picture you want to upload, and when the field is filled in with the name of the pic, you can hit the Post button.

Mike...

P.S. I resized my picture to 640x480 before I started the upload process. I've found that size works well on most forums.

* May 16, 2009, 03:43:57 AM
Can somebody please kindly explain the easiest way to attach a picture in this forum. [I'm using Firefox browser.]

Click on the "Additional Options..." link under the Message window in the Reply form. Click on the "more attachments" link to post more pictures, files (max of 6 per post). Pictures won't show in "Preview" mode; only after you Post.

John R.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:47:36 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled