TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Thread 3D Tool
Read 10217 times
* February 23, 2010, 04:03:48 PM
Hello!
       I trying to use the thread 3d tool to create a bolt; but the drawing disappear  from my view at the end when I do the final click to finish the bolt head.
        I notice that the workplane change on each step.
Any special set up on workplane or selector shell or other?    ???

TurboCAD©16
Professional – Basic Edition
Version: 16.0                           
Build: 34.4

Computer OP: VISTA

* February 23, 2010, 04:31:15 PM
Hello!
       I trying to use the thread 3d tool to create a bolt; but the drawing disappear  from my view at the end when I do the final click to finish the bolt head.

TurboCAD©16

That tool can be tricky to use. Here's the procedure that generally works for me: Activate the tool; Click on the desired head style icon; TAB to the Length1 field and type the length of the bolt body; TAB to the ThrDiam field and type the body diameter; TAB to the ThrLen field and type the length of the threaded portion; TAB to the Pitch field and type the thread pitch; TAB to the BodyDiam field and type the head diameter (width across corners for square or hex head); TAB to the FullLen field and type the overall length. Click one time in the drawing and wait.

Henry H

February 23, 2010, 04:42:11 PM
Hello!

TurboCAD©16

If Henry's suggestion doesn't work the tool is likely not going to work for you. I have seen this happen in a couple or so versions over the years and the only cure was to wait for a new program version. I see you are using V16. You may need to uninstall and load the new full build V16.1 version and then the 16.2 patch. http://www.turbocad.com/Support/TurboCAD16Support/tabid/1183/Default.aspx

* February 24, 2010, 08:00:17 AM
Thanks Henry and Don!!
                 I tried the last night Henry instructions, exactly. Don was wright it did not work.
              I will try a different version before an up grade to Mechanical Edition.

Thanks again :-\  JVCCAD

February 28, 2010, 10:17:25 PM
I just noticed that I too have the problem but the tool works fine only if the mouse is used. It simply does not work with tabbing of any sort, the object generates and then disappears. I have noticed that it worked (TC ver. 14.2 plat.) before on windows xp sp3 32 bit ver. but now I upgraded to win 7 64 bit. and it obviously glitch-y. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the use of the add-in sdk's and the compiled difference between 32 and 64 environments. I was wondering if any one else who had the problem; could respond with the  type of OS architecture they are using.

* February 28, 2010, 11:41:53 PM
Thread 3D Worked OK here on Vista 64bit. I do it similar to Henry;
establish a start point,
then input all the parameter info,
Tab over and choose a head,
then Enter.

It took about 10 seconds for TurboCAD to digest and deliver a finished bolt on my machine the first time around. The second and third bolts popped right up (1± sec).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

March 01, 2010, 06:48:03 AM
This is pretty much the same procedure I use, and have always had success.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

March 01, 2010, 09:11:38 AM
Still no good, the part will generate and then disappear. It only works if i use the mouse only and when it starts to generate the body or head it automatically jumps off screen. It makes me wonder if its a setting that I'm overlooking. Does anyone know the correct settings or presets to check in order for the tool to function. I'm also experiencing screen glitch's when the tool is running.

March 01, 2010, 10:11:14 AM
Try my steps exactlty & tell me if you still have problems
* Start new drawing
* Set your view to one of the ISOMETRIC views
*Select the Tread 3D tool
*Click on an area in your isometric view, you will see a circle appear, now click on the circle & move the mouse in an up direction, you will see blue circles folowing the pointer.
* Now TAB to the "Length1" Field & enter 3
* Tab again to the ThrDiam field & enter .25
* Tab to the ThrLen field & enter 1
* TAB to the BodyDia field & enter .505
* Tab to the FullLen field & enter 3.187
*Now tab 3 times to highlight the HEX icon & press your space bar
*Press your enter key

You should now have a 1/4-20 x 3 hex head bolt.

TurboCAD user since v3

* March 01, 2010, 10:15:54 AM
Still no good, the part will generate and then disappear. It only works if i use the mouse only and when it starts to generate the body or head it automatically jumps off screen. It makes me wonder if its a setting that I'm overlooking. Does anyone know the correct settings or presets to check in order for the tool to function. I'm also experiencing screen glitch's when the tool is running.

As Don said, there is a possibility that the tool simply will NOT work in your TCad version. Which version are you running?

Henry H

March 01, 2010, 10:32:28 AM
Yes your settings work in the new drawing, just wondering what does the thread pitch do? Maybe I'm causing a math error because when I change the fields to what I'm trying to accomplish it just disappears. What I would like to accomplish is a bolt with 3/8- 24 with the threads only 1/2" long and the shaft at 2.5" or so and then remove the head.  So its more like a screw in stud or long guide pin.

March 01, 2010, 11:13:03 AM
Based on what you have written, I think what is happening is that you entered "24" for the thread when you should have entered 1/24 (0.04167, or whatever precision you have set for your drawing).

It is possible that your thread is not disappearing, it is just being drawn so large that none of the standard markers are being displayed on screen. 

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 01, 2010, 11:18:48 AM
Yes your settings work in the new drawing, just wondering what does the thread pitch do? Maybe I'm causing a math error because when I change the fields to what I'm trying to accomplish it just disappears. What I would like to accomplish is a bolt with 3/8- 24 with the threads only 1/2" long and the shaft at 2.5" or so and then remove the head.  So its more like a screw in stud or long guide pin.

Head Style = "Circle Body"
Length1 = 2 (not critical)
ThtDiam = .375
ThrLen = .5
Pitch = 0.04167
BodyDiam= .375
FullLen = 2.5

Henry H

March 01, 2010, 11:49:33 AM
Yes your settings work in the new drawing, just wondering what does the thread pitch do? Maybe I'm causing a math error because when I change the fields to what I'm trying to accomplish it just disappears. What I would like to accomplish is a bolt with 3/8- 24 with the threads only 1/2" long and the shaft at 2.5" or so and then remove the head.  So its more like a screw in stud or long guide pin.

Pitch = 1/number of threads
Example 1/24 (Threads Per Inch) = 0.04167

Here are more posts on the subject 3D Thread
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:52:38 AM by kmartin »

TurboCAD user since v3

March 01, 2010, 12:53:00 PM
well I tried your configuration which worked finally. The only difference,  I noticed in the two configurations, was the thread pitch (which I was using the 1/tpi method) but I did not round the last significant digit .041666.... now it works. Don't really know all the limitations of the tools yet because I am quite new to TC.
 I thank all  you for your help in this manner.
Shaun

March 01, 2010, 02:04:51 PM
well I tried your configuration which worked finally. The only difference,  I noticed in the two configurations, was the thread pitch (which I was using the 1/tpi method) but I did not round the last significant digit .041666.... now it works. Don't really know all the limitations of the tools yet because I am quite new to TC.
 I thank all  you for your help in this manner.
Shaun

Come to think of it, I think I have had this tool act like that for me a time or two. I think this is how I developed the way I use the tool.

TurboCAD user since v3

* March 01, 2010, 02:20:08 PM
well I tried your configuration which worked finally. The only difference,  I noticed in the two configurations, was the thread pitch (which I was using the 1/tpi method) but I did not round the last significant digit .041666.... now it works. Don't really know all the limitations of the tools yet because I am quite new to TC.
 I thank all  you for your help in this manner.
Shaun

Fiddling with the fifth or sixth decimal should not have any perceptible effect.

Henry H

* March 02, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
Hello! Everyone:
       I did some patch fixes on my TurboCad software with the following sequence:
TurboCAD©16
Version: 16.0          Build: 34.4

Pro hotfix
Updates build  34.4 to build 36.7

TurboCAD Professional 16.1 Patch
This patch will update Build 36.7 to build 47.5

The 16.2 update build 54.0 will only update build 47.5 of TurboCAD Pro V16.1.
       Computer: Vista Ultimate Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU    2.13GHz
                          32-bit Operating System

Now it shows (16.2, Build: 54.0) then I follow Kmartin instructions(March 01) exactly and creates the bolt for a fraction of a second then dissapears again.   :o Apparently Don is wright. ???

Thanks, JVCCAD (newbie)

March 03, 2010, 04:04:06 AM
Hello! Everyone:
       I did some patch fixes on my TurboCad software with the following sequence:
TurboCAD©16
Version: 16.0          Build: 34.4

Pro hotfix
Updates build  34.4 to build 36.7

TurboCAD Professional 16.1 Patch
This patch will update Build 36.7 to build 47.5

The 16.2 update build 54.0 will only update build 47.5 of TurboCAD Pro V16.1.
       Computer: Vista Ultimate Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU    2.13GHz
                          32-bit Operating System

Now it shows (16.2, Build: 54.0) then I follow Kmartin instructions(March 01) exactly and creates the bolt for a fraction of a second then dissapears again.   :o Apparently Don is wright. ???

Thanks, JVCCAD (newbie)

This is very wierd. I can use the example I poste on v15.2 Pro, v16.2 Pro, & the new beta versions I have been testing. I get the same result no matter which version I am using.

TurboCAD user since v3

March 03, 2010, 10:16:16 AM
...the drawing disappear  from my view at the end when I do the final click to finish the bolt head.

I had a problem with a copied object disappearing after I pasted it.  Turns out the workplane was not World, but the last one used by the automatic Workplane by Face mode and it was being mapped to a different location than it should have been placed.

I figured this out when I pressed <F7> to have TurboCAD select the last object created, then Zoom Extents so I could see where it had been placed.

What happens when you do this after the screw disappears?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 04, 2010, 05:23:26 AM
Hello! Everyone:
                I will try your suggestion of the <F7> key, Jeff as soon I get home. Maybe the bolt is in another location after it disappear, since I notice the workplane changes while I was drawing the body.  8)

Thanks again, to everybody
                                                                                  JVCCAD

March 04, 2010, 10:46:31 AM
JVCCAD,

Keep in mind that <F7> selects the previously-created object.  If you repeatedly press <F7>, it will select the objects that were created before it in reverse order.

So... create the threaded object and, when it disappears, press <F7>, then Zoom Extents.

Jeff

* March 04, 2010, 10:53:03 AM
Thank you Jeff. I will try that.

Jose

* March 06, 2010, 05:16:25 AM
Hello Everyone!
             Just to inform that the previous issue with the Thread 3D tool in my computer it was solved:D
               What I did was to unistall TC16, then installed again using the CD step by step and then the patches again; and it work.
                Now the tool is working fine.  :D
     I would like to say thanks to Henry, Don, Jeff, KMartin, John and every one trying to help me.

Thanks again
                                                                            Jose                                                                             

* March 06, 2010, 07:40:10 AM
Hello Everyone!
             Just to inform that the previous issue with the Thread 3D tool in my computer it was solved:D
               What I did was to unistall TC16, then installed again using the CD step by step and then the patches again; and it work.
     I would like to say thanks to Henry, Don, Jeff, KMartin, John and every one trying to help me.

Thanks again
                                                                            Jose                                                                             

Glad you've got it fixed.

Henry H

March 06, 2010, 08:34:35 AM
Hello Everyone!

Thanks again
                                                                            Jose                                                                             

Glad to hear it. As far as the help goes, we are always here to help, so you're welcome.

TurboCAD user since v3

March 06, 2010, 09:43:15 AM
So it was just coincidence that your problem appeared similar to mine.

Congratulations on the fix.

Jeff