TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

how to create a smooth cylinder, not faceted in V21 Pro, esp. with 3D printing
Read 214 times
* March 25, 2020, 06:01:26 AM
I have V21 Pro Platinum and i am mostly a beginner in 3D modelling. 

My primary problem is that smooth curves are faceted when printed (and when displayed) typically 60-ish facets along the circumference of a cylinder when printed, and maybe fewer than that when displayed.  I create the 3D objects, then save in STL format, then print using Cura.

I am not sure if the problem is in the generation of the STL, or in the native approximation of a smoothly curved 3D cylinder in TC.

I think that if I learn how to create a cylinder with a smooth curve then I will be able to generalize that technique to my other similar issues.

Since I am a beginner, and since my 3D solids are typically quite simple shapes, I generally start with a 2D drawing and then use the properties->3D menu to make it 3D with a certain height.  Also, I typically hollow it out with another cylinder using 3D boolean subtract.

These are usually (always?) "solid" type objects instead of TC surface types.  Using Faceting options does not seem to change the appearance on the screen.  I don't know if it changes the STL. 

What do I do to improve my printed objects?

-Tony

P.S. with more checking I see that setting the ACIS options to highest quality does result in many more facets along the curve of a cylinder.  Trying to modify "expert faceter parameters" does not seem to result in more facets than the basic faceter slider.  How do i get it to produce even MORE facets?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:07:30 AM by ARhodes01075 »

* March 25, 2020, 08:54:49 AM
You can make a Polygonal Prism with as many as 100 faces. And you can fillet the edges if you wish.

Henry H

* March 25, 2020, 11:34:29 AM
re: …"Expert Faceter Parameters"…

Maybe these pix will help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* March 25, 2020, 02:45:55 PM
Thanks.  I had tried playing with the expert faceter setting but they didn't seem to do much.  Maybe the surface tolerance alone will do the job.

Thanks

-Tony

March 25, 2020, 06:26:25 PM
re: …"Expert Faceter Parameters"…

Maybe these pix will help.

That DOES help!  Thanks John!

(I remember that from the now-defunct TC Wiki)

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

March 25, 2020, 07:21:51 PM
Keep in mind that *all* 3D printers you are going to find will (eventually) use STL files, which are comprised of triangles.

Best to create the STL file yourself and have it be as detailed as you need for curved surfaces.  That adds a lot of size, so be careful as many service bureaus have limits (Shapeways is 60 MB, as I recall, and I've easily created STL files well over 200 MB while experimenting with the ACIS Faceter settings).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 25, 2020, 07:41:44 PM
Thanks.  I had tried playing with the expert faceter setting but they didn't seem to do much.  Maybe the surface tolerance alone will do the job.

Thanks

-Tony

I've always experimented with a single option and left the others in their default state; such as "Maximum Edge Length" and leave the first two alone. I've never played with the Grid Line settings.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

March 25, 2020, 09:33:16 PM
It is also kind of interesting and informative to temporarily turn on the option "Draw form building edges" in Options/Display.
To see what's taking place behind the curtain sort of.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 26, 2020, 06:45:39 AM
Keep in mind that *all* 3D printers you are going to find will (eventually) use STL files, which are comprised of triangles.

Jeff

Not always now Jeff.  Cura slices .obj, 3MF, and others as well as .stl, so it's sometimes worth trying them, some .obj and subD outputs are quad dominant, and you can have different resolutions for different regions, because edges and vertices don't have to comply with .stl criteria.  Slicers and FF printers are also tolerant of .stls that used to be rejected, not because they weren't watertight or manifold, they didn't meet strict "two faces to an edge, three to a vertex"  .stl criteria, or normals weren't all pointing outwards.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:01:56 PM by murray dickinson »

* March 27, 2020, 01:13:09 PM
I figured out the main problem I was having.  My LAPTOP could have the expert faceter selections actually make a visible change in number of vertices.  But my main desktop showed no extra facets at all.  No matter what.  This was with the exact same part being displayed.

I tried resetting stuff back to default, but I could only find a tool to reset the palettes.  So, I uninstalled V21 then re-installed from scratch and now the faceter's settings show up in the display of the part!!

I don't know what was wrong, but I fixed it (with a sledgehammer)!!

-Tony

* March 29, 2020, 09:45:59 AM
Glad you figured it out. Keep in mind also that infill can "ghost" through to the walls of your part. If you have a thin outer wall thickness then the inside grid will tend to push and pull it around and be visible which creates a facet type of look also.

TC 14 pro.  TC 18, 21,22 pro platinum. 3 s10's and an s4. Creality Ender 5.