TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

For Lesser Experienced TurboCADers, Drawing in 2D only (Safe UCS)
Read 2692 times
November 25, 2019, 05:22:54 PM
Suggestion:

For newer TurboCAD Users, with an edition of TurboCAD that has the ability to work in 3D in addition to 2D.
If you do not intend to work in 3D for your current drawing session, if you intend on drawing in 2D only, do yourself a favor and go into 3D Selector Properties and check the Box (activate) "Safe UCS mode" (Safe User Coordinate System mode).

This has the potential of saving you a ton of grief caused by what is, in one form or another, the most often reported problem/issue newer Users seek help with here on these Forums.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 25, 2019, 06:26:48 PM
Why not just set the 2D only option?  Right-click when the cursor is over the main work area and choose.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

November 25, 2019, 06:32:33 PM
Why not just set the 2D only option?  Right-click when the cursor is over the main work area and choose.

Jeff

Cuz that option has long and always been available, but lesser-experienced users-- as I was not too long ago-- still screw it up and come here with their-- common... recurrent... -- issues caused by this not knowing what's going on and how to solve it and avoid it in the first place.

Watching This "Getting Started" video reminded me.

And, come on... all of us that have been on these Forums 1,000+ posts have seen this as being the most often recurring problem/issue reported.  I can easily recall when this was a complete mystery and issue for me, as well.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 26, 2019, 01:40:57 AM
Alvin,

I agree with your sentiments but, perhaps, a provided 2-D only UI Workspace, with all 3D options removed might be useful?

Why not bundle Designer, for free, with PP purchase?

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* November 26, 2019, 08:42:41 AM
I agree with Alvin's suggestion of using "Safe UCS mode". It can be especially helpful when moving 2D & 3D objects together; as long as they stay on the same ‘plane’. If you try to move a 2D/3D selection to a different height, it should generate the workplane warning, because the 2D object(s) in the selection are indeed, moving to a different workplane.

I like working with the "2D/3D Depending…" setting (Selector Properties / General page) instead of 'toggling', so I know what kind of object has been selected (IBar changes).

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* November 28, 2019, 03:47:04 PM
Thank you!

I think it's caught me out in the past, but I still see work-plane warnings occasionally despite being careful not to touch the 2D/3D toggle, so I don't know if something else can cause them to appear.

To be honest I had no idea that Safe UCS mode exists - but from your description it's not an obvious control, and is right where you don't want to venture (in 3D Properties??). I suppose if you are trying to work only in 2D with default settings, you don't expect work-plane and co-ordinate oddities; but I have known objects to occupy weirdly displaced co-ordinates of their own.

I base all my drawings on the default World Co-ordinates; and certainly so when I tried to learn 3D drawing; working outwards from the primary centre- or datum- lines being the (x,y) axes, for the whole drawing. It means a lot negative numbers (even harder from (0,0,0)!)  but is safer than trying to define an origin elsewhere. (Though this assumes the grid and rulers do appear - they seem not to, on some of the templates.)

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* December 06, 2019, 08:02:36 PM
Alvin,

I agree with your sentiments but, perhaps, a provided 2-D only UI Workspace, with all 3D options removed might be useful?

Regards Tim

Done!: paper space.  If you're intimidated by inadvertant lift off, 3D objects and options are greyed out, inaccessible.  If thrillseeking behaviour manifests after (or to take advantage of features like viewport and dimension scaling for sheet layouts), copy and paste objects into model space...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:44:45 PM by murray dickinson »

December 07, 2019, 02:26:50 AM
Alvin,

Regards Tim

Done!: paper space.  If you're intimidated by inadvertant lift off, 3D objects and options are greyed out, inaccessible.  If thrillseeking behaviour manifests after (or to take advantage of features like viewport and dimension scaling for sheet layouts), copy and paste objects into model space...

;D

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* March 24, 2020, 04:39:50 PM
Hi folks, this has long been an issue that has plagued me, and think I may finally have found a cause of some, if not all, the frustration I have experienced. 

I was watching an older YouTube clip last night (Paul Tracy I think) and one point made was that for those of us who use a mouse that has a pressure sensitive scroll wheel (pushing it causes a click), even a slight inadvertent pressure of the wheel can put the current action into 3D mode. 

Not sure if this can be by-passed with Alvin's suggestion or not; but I am going to see if I can isolate that on my mouse options/setup.  I am also not sure if this is still an issue, as I mentioned this was an older version video and I only happened on it by chance.

cheers

Pat

TC2019 Pro
Beginner (with much to learn) mainly period ship plans and fittings, wood toy plans.

March 24, 2020, 06:54:17 PM
Hi folks, this has long been an issue that has plagued me, and think I may finally have found a cause of some, if not all, the frustration I have experienced. 

I was watching an older YouTube clip last night (Paul Tracy I think) and one point made was that for those of us who use a mouse that has a pressure sensitive scroll wheel (pushing it causes a click), even a slight inadvertent pressure of the wheel can put the current action into 3D mode. 

Not sure if this can be by-passed with Alvin's suggestion or not; but I am going to see if I can isolate that on my mouse options/setup.  I am also not sure if this is still an issue, as I mentioned this was an older version video and I only happened on it by chance.

cheers

Pat

I would say that that "bump of the mouse wheel" does not put you in "3D mode" (if there were even such a thing), as most have described it.

However, The inadvertent "bump of the mouse wheel" can inadvertently cause the TurboCADer to get in a View that is slightly askew from that of the regular ol' 2D Plan View.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 24, 2020, 07:49:48 PM
Alvin this probably proves I fit firmly in this 'less experienced" grouping :)  From my understanding I thought  (warning - dangerous assumption) that 2D was world plan only?  So if you 'get into' a different view in way or another, is this not another work plane.?  From what I am making from your post, is that you can be in 2D  and world plane, but looking at a different "view' rather than a different work plane?

cheers

Pat

TC2019 Pro
Beginner (with much to learn) mainly period ship plans and fittings, wood toy plans.

March 24, 2020, 07:58:58 PM
Alvin this probably proves I fit firmly in this 'less experienced" grouping :)  From my understanding I thought  (warning - dangerous assumption) that 2D was world plan only?  So if you 'get into' a different view in way or another, is this not another work plane.?  From what I am making from your post, is that you can be in 2D  and world plane, but looking at a different "view' rather than a different work plane?

cheers

Pat

RE "From what I am making from your post, is that you can be in 2D  and world plane, but looking at a different "view' rather than a different work plane?"  -Pat
___
Yep.  Try it.  Open a Drawing that you know is 2D.  Use the Standard Views Toolbar to activate say... ISO SW view.

It's like looking at a 36x24 2D architectural construction Plan sheet of paper while you are standing up, and the plan is on a desk, down and to your upper-right.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:20:38 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 24, 2020, 08:33:22 PM
Most mouse wheels have a positive click and you do have to hold it down to orbit with the scroll wheel.  I've had a lot of mouses over the years and inadvertant clicks of the scroll wheel without holding it down always zooms extents but only occasionally skew the view.
3D figures like 3D polylines and 3D splines that aren't flat on a plane can be associated with a workplane because they refer to its coordinate system, its origin and axes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:34:27 PM by murray dickinson »