TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

unable to create polyline by joining segments
Read 1076 times
* November 15, 2019, 02:53:56 PM
I must be making an obvious mistake, but I can't seem to find it!  I've created polylines to extrude and revolve before, but seem to be unable to do this now!  Using TCW Deluxe 2018.

In the attached file I'm trying to join the lines on layer "polyline trials" into a polyline so I can do a revolve.  I can go through the process of selecting the "join polyline" from the "modify" menu, selecting each line segment, it highlights in pink, then I click "finish", but nothing happens, the polyline does not form, and I'm left with just the individual line segments..

Can someone suggest what I may be doing wrong?  I believe all the lines and curve are all on the same workplane, and they all look like they connect, but apparently there's something I'm missing.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:57:23 PM by RetEng »

* November 15, 2019, 05:10:30 PM
JP works for me in your drawing. Sometimes TCad goes temporarily whacko for no obvious reason; when this happens it is usually fixed simply by shutting down the program and then re-launching.

Henry H

* November 15, 2019, 07:57:20 PM
This seems really strange!  I am unable to join the segments as a polyline even when I try on another PC using the same file. 

If I copy the line segments into a new empty file, both pc's will join the segments into a polyline with no trouble at all!  I don't understand what's going wrong.

* November 15, 2019, 08:49:50 PM
I encountered the same problem when selecting individual Lines/Arc with the Join Polyline tool and Finish. The lines joined when I used the "Auto Joining" option. One segment has two lines, which I deleted one.

EDIT: The problem may be due that the profile isn't on the World WorkPlane. The Join Polyline tool has been known not to work in situations like this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:10:20 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

November 16, 2019, 12:35:09 AM
As John R mentioned one line is duplicated, which may be confusing matters (see attached).
Other than that, I found no problem with JoinPolyline.

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* November 16, 2019, 09:48:22 AM
I think I've figured out my problem.  Dumb mistake, I have had layer 0 turned off!  I got a hint when I had turned layer 0 on, and discovered several polylines had been created for the same thing.  The program apparently has been creating them, but with layer 0 off, they aren't visible.

Someone said "never turn layer 0 off".  Good advice!