TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

format-create a hatch
Read 1091 times
* November 15, 2019, 05:47:08 AM
 I am drawing up a bar that is curved, I am hatching the 3/4" thick walls  that are curved, I am using format-create a hatch., works fine except if you focus in on the 3/4" lines I notice that the hatch is not inside the lines. the hatch is above and below the lines not exactly inside.  What gives ??

thanks Frank

Frank Zangari ASID

November 15, 2019, 06:09:35 AM
I am drawing up a bar that is curved, I am hatching the 3/4" thick walls  that are curved, I am using format-create a hatch., works fine except if you focus in on the 3/4" lines I notice that the hatch is not inside the lines. the hatch is above and below the lines not exactly inside.  What gives ??

thanks Frank

I would say-- A "curve" (a Circle, an Arc, a Curve, etc.) is just that-- in layperson's terms, an infinite number of definable points.  When we Format/Create_Hatch, that is a Polyline, technically.  So it is segmented, in relation to the associated curve(s), causing the Hatch boundary to not exactly correspond to the curves boundaries.

Better to make the 3/4" wall a singular closed 2D entity, and give it a Brush pattern, if one requires zoomed-up-real-close exactness.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:21:31 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 15, 2019, 06:25:11 AM
How do you this?
(Better to make the 3/4" wall a singular closed 2D entity, and give it a Brush pattern, if one requires zoomed-up-real-close exactness.)

Frank Zangari ASID

November 15, 2019, 06:42:34 AM
How do you this?
(Better to make the 3/4" wall a singular closed 2D entity, and give it a Brush pattern, if one requires zoomed-up-real-close exactness.)

There are a few methods.  Try this one and see if you like it:

>Activate the Polyline Tool
>Using Vertex Snap, trace over the walls entity you currently have, using Arc Segment (Local Menu) for the two arcs, and making sure to invoke the "Close" command (Local Menu) at the end.
>The arcs will be way out of whack.  Activate the Edit (node) Tool and edit those arc radius green nodes, Nearest_on_Graphic Snapping to the pre-existing arcs.
>Apply the Brush pattern and scale you wish, to the closed Polyline.

What version of TurboCAD are you working in currently?  In case we want to provide you and example.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 15, 2019, 06:58:33 AM
Thanks but that is exactly what I use to do and it is too time consuming.When you had to make corrections to the curve you had to do the trace all over again.

Frank Zangari ASID

November 15, 2019, 07:03:41 AM
Thanks but that is exactly what I use to do and it is too time consuming.When you had to make corrections to the curve you had to do the trace all over again.

Okay.  Maybe just make your Format/Create_Hatch result Pen Pattern "$INVISIBLE". That'll be good enough for construction/fabrication plans.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:42:54 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

November 15, 2019, 07:53:53 AM
If your version/edition of TurboCAD has it, another method is to:

>Using the Meet_2_Lines Tool, make sure your 3/4" walls end-lines and arcs meet up.
>Use the Join Polyline Tool (Auto-joining enabled, to make it quicker) on the 4 entities (the two arcs, and the two end lines that make the walls "closed")
>Now you have a separate entity, less segmenty, that you can apply a Brush setting to and the Brush hatch won't go outside the boundaries.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:17:45 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* November 15, 2019, 08:34:09 AM
yes thank you I have used that one also, however, join polyline doesn't always work. it's finicky

Frank Zangari ASID

November 15, 2019, 09:06:32 AM
yes thank you I have used that one also, however, join polyline doesn't always work. it's finicky

Hmm... what we seem to need here is a Double-line-Arc Tool...  with an "end caps" option.

Although, without it, I've always seemed to make it (things similar to what you are trying to achieve) work.

Join Polyline always works for me-- as long as all the entities are on the same Workplane and all the endpoints do in fact meet (are coincident).

Alvin Gregorio

* November 15, 2019, 09:14:36 PM
Would the wall tool with a 0 height work?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks