TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

gremlins Slicing part V21 pro
Read 1599 times
* November 12, 2019, 08:00:51 AM
 I am going to attach a part I created. When I go to do a slice on the side so I can delete the excess on both sides as the part is .070 thick. Watch what happens to the part some of it  disappears?? I am guessing it is the way I created the part it but just would like some input as to why? So in the future parts I create this will not happen again..

* November 12, 2019, 09:35:03 AM
Where is the slicing plane?

Henry H

* November 12, 2019, 10:14:09 AM
It's about the Part tree, if i explode it one time before Slice by Workplane it behave and do what i think it should.

Else it move the rigth horizontal part and arc halfe the depth in - Y and Slice it there, it's not possible to Undo, so close the drawing without saving and test when exploded.
If i move the Object 0,007 in -Y it do Slice normal at first and then later move the rigth side + arc and Slice one more time, about the middle on the rigth side part

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* November 12, 2019, 01:50:34 PM
I'm taking a stab at it and guessing that the initial extrusion that the part's based on was double-sided.  You've used a mix and match of construction methods and I think that that's introduced some workplane confusion.  When you've sliced the part and got your unexpected result, select the bottom item in the part tree and choose "edit content".  Move the extrusion half its thickness in the Y axis, click the green tick in the part tree palette header, the drawing window reverts to the part view and the part has rebuilt with the correct result.

An interesting (or not. YMMV) thing to try is, instead of slicing, create a box that encloses the section of the part that you want to keep and intersect it with the part.  This is a little more efficient than two slices and deleting the offcuts, but aside from that, the intersection is as you'd expect the sliced part to be.  Don't ask me why, I got nuttin'.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:26:06 PM by murray dickinson »

November 12, 2019, 05:44:13 PM

Henry H

Based on what to wrote, and taking a measurement, I'd say it is the current active Workplane when the drawing is initially opened.
Then to probably wants the other side.  The "bar" that is left as shown in the image below is .070 thick, in the current active Workplane Z direction.

I am going to attach a part I created. When I go to do a slice on the side so I can delete the excess on both sides as the part is .070 thick. Watch what happens to the part some of it  disappears?? I am guessing it is the way I created the part it but just would like some input as to why? So in the future parts I create this will not happen again..

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 12, 2019, 06:26:02 PM

Henry H

Based on what to wrote, and taking a measurement, I'd say it is the current active Workplane when the drawing is initially opened.
Then to probably wants the other side.  The "bar" that is left as shown in the image below is .070 thick, in the current active Workplane Z direction.

I'm just about certain that you're right, Alvin. And Torfinn is correct, too: Exploding the part to sever the Part Tree connection allows slicing to proceed without a problem.

Henry H

November 12, 2019, 06:54:23 PM
I moved the original Polyline that was used for the Extrude Delta_Z=+.035 (along its Coordinate System), and the Slice by Workplane worked okay.
Keeping that initial Part and all the successive Part operations intact.
What da ya know... :o

I had to Explode the resulting extraneous Parts, to get them to easily delete*, because they are associated with other Parts or entities used in making Parts.

That's all I did; that's attached herewith.; *(I just moved those extraneous ACIS Solids, in this Save)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:06:32 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 13, 2019, 07:47:11 PM
I moved the original Polyline that was used for the Extrude Delta_Z=+.035 (along its Coordinate System), and the Slice by Workplane worked okay.
Keeping that initial Part and all the successive Part operations intact.
What da ya know... :o

I had to Explode the resulting extraneous Parts, to get them to easily delete*, because they are associated with other Parts or entities used in making Parts.

That's all I did; that's attached herewith.; *(I just moved those extraneous ACIS Solids, in this Save)

Moving the extrusion in a part tree edit and moving the profile are functionally identical, because compound profile solids are backwards-and-forwards associated: move the profile, the solid moves; move the solid, the profile moves with it.  The complementary associated part or profile will move even if its separate layer is invisible and locked.    As I remarked above, intersection with some other object (in this case a box in plan view) is often quicker than deletion of offcuts.

November 14, 2019, 04:36:05 AM
I was trying to address the crux of to's original question:  [edited]"I am guessing it is the way I created the Part, but just would like some input as to why? So in future Parts I create, this will not happen again."

Having spent maybe a total of 30 minutes digging into it, my current hunch is that Part Tree was confused by the initial two-sided Extrude.
That's my current hypothesis; could be-- probably am-- wrong.

For those of us that do this diagnosing problem-solving stuff for hobby, figuring out the why is the challenge and fun.

That initial Polyline and its resultant Extrude puzzle me.  Particularly its World_Y position, when selected in the final model, compared to the World_Y position when selected for editing the Extrude Part in the Part Tree; and when editing that Extrude Part via the Part Tree, why the extrude appears to be one-sided.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:03:45 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

November 14, 2019, 12:56:50 PM
Gremlins.  Definitely Gremlins.

Alvin Gregorio

* November 14, 2019, 04:18:23 PM
I dunno Alvin.  Part tree doesn't show transforms, so it's very possible that an inadvertant move or workplane shift led to this.  Recent TC can save and transfer files with 100 levels of undo, if the action stack had been preserved and the part had taken fewer than 100 actions to build, that could've been confirmed or discounted.  What puzzles me is that the part looks okay until the slice is performed, but if it's done with an intersection between the part and a box, the outcome is as if there hadn't been a historic error.  If the OP had used an intersection instead of slicing, this wouldn't have been noticed at all.     

* November 16, 2019, 07:42:09 AM
What puzzles me is that the part looks okay until the slice is performed, but if it's done with an intersection between the part and a box, the outcome is as if there hadn't been a historic error.  If the OP had used an intersection instead of slicing, this wouldn't have been noticed at all.     

Good catch, Murray.
I'll report this.
I'd say there's a bug in the slice tool.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* November 16, 2019, 10:40:28 AM
I  am guessing a lot of you are correct when you detach the part it will slice. And most found the problem it was I extruded polyline .035 both ways 2 sided then added a box that I could alter with different shapes to see which would work for this part. the software seems to have gotten confused with doing a 2 sided extrusion and when you slice the part with the the box I created and added to part became exactly .035 thick. Answer software!!! Thank you all it really is a hard to come to an exact conclusion but it does seem to come out how the part is created.

* November 18, 2019, 04:58:14 AM
issue reported.

Anum Masood IMSI

SQA Engineer | Technical/Customer Support
IMSI Design.

* November 22, 2019, 01:10:53 PM
I have had other parts where I extruded in both directions and I noticed that sometimes when I sliced the part ,the part altered itself just changed but the parts  were more complex so I worked around it not know if anything or what was wrong .When I did this simple part then it hit me all my other parts this happened to me was the same gremlin extruding in 2 directions !!!!!!!!!! But I have to thank you all it really was a complex issue. I was sort of shocked no one had this problem when it has happened too me a few times.