TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

V21PP: Editing a Parametric Symbol [and-- Parametric Part Script Editor]
Read 2001 times
October 24, 2019, 06:55:47 PM
Hello All,

I decided to put some effort into learning Parametric Parts.  I'm working through the Help Documentation example "mini-tutorial" (Here).
In version-21.2;Build_59.0;ProPlatinum, I am having this issue:
    When Loading the Parametric Part, as shown near the very end of the Help, the Help states that I should be able to Edit the Parametric Symbol before inserting it.  See the attached screen-capture below, it is from the very bottom of that Help Documentation.

When I go to Insert/Parametric_Part, and the "Select Parametric Part" pop-up window opens, I am not getting the icons in my TurboCAD desktop as shown in the screen-capture below.  I want to be able to edit the part, to fix my mistakes, utilizing that same simple-to-use table that I use to create it per the "mini-tutorial".  How do we do that?  Or is this feature just broken in my version/edition?

Thanks, Alvin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:04:03 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* October 24, 2019, 09:14:06 PM
Alvin don't.
There is a bug with the symbol editor - it breaks the symbol because it resets all parameters to 0.
I gave up on this method  - (although I made a lot)- because they are quite unstable
For instance -  if you save a drawing with a parametric part in it - it doesn't work when you reopen the drawing. They can also crash the system

However if you do still want to use this method, to make parametric symbols plan around not using the symbol editor.
If you want to nest parts - to make patterns  use the palette found in the selection editor.
As a side note
Believe it or not scripted symbols are much easier to create and a lot more stable. It is worth the effort to learn them rather.
They seem to work with all versions that supporting ppms, which means you can upgrade without worrying about all the effort you have put in going to waste.
They can also be a lot more complex.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* October 25, 2019, 12:12:00 AM
I agree with Nikki, dont waste your time on pp files, ppm will give you small files that you can use in all versions of TC PP.
Dont know if they have pp in deluxe.
The biggest one i have of ppm's is the house, and it's less than 100 Kb in total with all connected macro ppm's
And another good thing, you can make ppm's that you can re-use in other ppm's ( macro's )

A default empty New from scratch drawing is about 200 Kb i believe

And ppm's are way more flexible than pp.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

October 25, 2019, 04:53:47 AM
Thank You both, for the input.

You can imagine us Parametric Parts Newbies' attraction to just drawing/modeling something, and having the ability to select it, and wa-lah I've created the table or script for a Parametric Symbol.  I think I read you two saying this can't be done, dependably, in TurboCAD; is that correct?

What I think I hear you two saying is that the two ways of creating Parametric Parts ("Symbols"??... are they the same thing?...) are completely different animals, and the one that I tried to use-- that seems much simpler to sue for the P-novice-- is flakey (which I experienced, in my only one attempt; but it looks so good in the Help Documentation...) and we shouldn't waste our time on that method.
______
Nikki, you wrote--
     However if you do still want to use this method, to make parametric symbols plan around not using the symbol editor.
     If you want to nest parts - to make patterns  use the palette found in the selection editor.

--Can you elaborate on that please; I couldn't follow what you were trying to communicate.

______
As a side-note, I came across this yesterday, while reviewing some posts in the PPM Board.  I got a giggle... the sentence I made red.

Thanks Torfinn but I am a visual person. My programming skills are limited to excel user forms so I really want this system to work as shown on the video. I can see from the picture I drew what I am going to get, not a whole lot of code which I battle to decipher.  Also I suspect that programming is a little addictive I don't really have the time to get fixated on yet another thing.
I am sure I am not the only one

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* October 25, 2019, 05:32:57 AM
You should learn something from Nikkis note in the end here Alvin.

Like you she believed it was so difficult, not understandable from all the crazy words i assume, but luckily, after i try'd to explain many times that it is not difficult at all, she fianally try'd, well, what Nikki do now should explain it ??, should it not ;)

Just imagen that you just write something, save it and drag it in to TC as a symbol and TC draw that thing for you, change one parameter ( value) inside the Selection Info palette after insert and the whole dang ting change, that's "magic" :))
It's only words.

And it is so much more flexible than this pp thing :) and adjust in calculator, and also more easy to understand, nearly strait forward for everything you want to do.
So try a couple of examples and see for your self, before the long krinky route of pp.

Test one of the files in the help, follow it step by step and you will understand what it is about

Torfinn
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:37:29 AM by Torfinn »

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

October 25, 2019, 06:13:06 AM
Thanks for the input Torfinn.

Just to clarify-- for myself, and for others, I am sure:  Is it accurate to say that there is no way to utilize an already-created object to created a Parametric script?

Example:  I draw a rectangle.  Origin=0,0,0.  It is 1600(X) x 900(Y).  Can I somehow use that as a selection in order to get a script written for me?

Alvin Gregorio

October 25, 2019, 06:17:16 AM
The version-21 online Help Documentation, in the "Creating Parametric Part" section states:
     Note: You can also create a parametric part using a script. For details on creating scripts, check the "Docs" folder of the TurboCAD installation disk.

Does anyone know where this "Docs" folder with the "details for creating scripts" resides, in a typical installation?

Alvin Gregorio

October 25, 2019, 06:19:31 AM

Test one of the files in the help, follow it step by step and you will understand what it is about

Torfinn

In regards to "Test one of the files in the help..."-- Where can we find those files?

Alvin Gregorio

* October 25, 2019, 07:13:05 AM
Hi Alvin

Near the bottom in TC Helpfile
Link Direct to that page i assume

doc.imsidesign.com/articles/#!turbocad-2018-user-guide-publication/parametric-part-script-editing-1

Dont look at the example on the page just under this Place, use time on the basic's first, that one is not difficult, but maybe confusing in the start, when you dont know what it is all about.

There is also some example in the TC, if the link to that Place is not in this tread i will paste it here later.

Torfinn
""
They was in Sauerkraut's tred about ppm

C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\TCW2019.5\Symbols\PPM\EN

I am on a betaversion now, but adjust it to your Version and you will find them
Not everyone work, but check them out.
""
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:16:41 AM by Torfinn »

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

October 25, 2019, 08:42:46 AM
Thanks Torfinn.  Guided by your link, I found the similar for version-21, in its online Help Documentation, here.

That page should help get a basic understanding of Parametric Part Script Editing.

______
[EDIT]: COPY_&_PASTE somebody else's Parametric Part Script is the easiest way to go! ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:47:27 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* October 25, 2019, 11:27:50 AM
Hi Alvin

Good you find it :)
I take it from a beta, but the place should be about similar in all TC's from many years back.

And yes, it's most easy to CnP but you dont learn to much then :)
Better to learn it so you can make some that meet yours wishes and needs ;), and then it's also more easy to adjust others if you copy some that is not 100 % to your like.

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* October 25, 2019, 01:14:51 PM
Thanks for the input Torfinn.

Just to clarify-- for myself, and for others, I am sure:  Is it accurate to say that there is no way to utilize an already-created object to created a Parametric script?

Example:  I draw a rectangle.  Origin=0,0,0.  It is 1600(X) x 900(Y).  Can I somehow use that as a selection in order to get a script written for me?

I did not see this earlyer, and the answer is yes, thats correct as it cant collect any info in the drawing and insert that to the input Fields/ pararameter values.
It will do exact what you write and only that.

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

October 25, 2019, 04:03:29 PM
In the PP Script Editor, what does the button "Set Add/Update Parametric Part mode" do?  The button on the far-right, in the top bar.

Alvin Gregorio

* October 25, 2019, 04:53:28 PM
If you check that one, you will update the symbol that already are inserted in the drawing from editor, or insert the first one, else you will re insert all the time, many test/ click will then give you a bunch of symbols inside the drawing, and sometimes it then kan be difficult to see if there was a change, if that was what you did when click on the insert again, as they all will be on the same spot.

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* October 25, 2019, 05:59:37 PM
A small ppm example of something similar to PP from top of tread.
It's not exactly the same and i add an option more
There is no limitations in it, so if the holes are to big i assume there is nothing left of the Object ;) :)

Put the ppm inside My Symbols folder and reload Library >> My Symbols, or if TC is not on it will load it automatic when start TC next time

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* October 26, 2019, 12:11:38 AM
I tried to make the ones in this thread simple enough to follow
https://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,22995.msg137551.html#msg137551

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum