TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Snap Issue
Read 1528 times
* October 22, 2019, 09:26:20 AM
One of these little niggles that happens every now and again. I expect I have got a setting wrong. In the view in the attached drawing I wish to establish the dimension between the two holes that appear on the curved surface but , with the work plane set as "Active View" which normally works I just get the usual error message  "The requested operation cannot be completed. A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled".   Any ideas please.

* October 22, 2019, 09:43:43 AM
The holes are not objects that can be snapped to. I'd draw a 2D Circle by Three Points on each hole (using the V SEKE) and then dimension between the circles. Or place a Point object at the center of each circle, delete the circles, and dimension between the Points.

Henry H

October 22, 2019, 09:53:04 AM
    Is the attached, what you are trying to achieve?

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* October 22, 2019, 12:10:30 PM
No, it is the centres of the holes that I need and also the diameters. This is a layout that I did some while ago and have forgotten the dimensions. It has been copied and pasted and so has lost information in selection info as well as being 3D added into one lump.

* October 22, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
Why dont you try to do like Henry say in the reply 1 ( # 1 )
Attached show the result, after draw 2 "3 point circle" over the hole's, snap to edges of them and then use this circles to Dimension from.
Just remember, you cant snap to the center of it, use the edge of the circle's and let TC figure out where the center is.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* October 24, 2019, 05:34:42 AM
This does illustrate something about TC which has long bothered me, which is the hierarchy of snaps. If you can draw a 2d circle on a 3d shape using snaps, why can't you dimension from those same snap points? I assume that it goes back to the origin of these 2 different tools but it really should be fixable.

October 24, 2019, 05:47:43 AM
This does illustrate something about TC which has long bothered me, which is the hierarchy of snaps. If you can draw a 2d circle on a 3d shape using snaps, why can't you dimension from those same snap points? I assume that it goes back to the origin of these 2 different tools but it really should be fixable.

Hierarchy of Snaps is addressed in the Drawing Aids window.  Right-click on SNAPS or GEO at the bottom of the TurboCAD desktop.  It is termed "Priority". Works good.
____
We can "draw a 2d circle on a 3d shape using snaps" and "dimension from those same snap points".
Just use the same Snap type for inserting the Dimension as one did-- or would have-- for inserting the 2D Circle.

In this thread's case-- It turns out that what the original poster was requesting was to Snap his Dimension to the centers of the holes.  Essentially, snapping to the centers empty voids.  Now... how is that going to be possible? :o  So we have to put something in those same geometric locations (the centers of the holes) that we can snap to when inserting the Dimension-- Circles, Point objects, intersecting Construction Lines, ....

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* October 25, 2019, 05:50:02 AM
Hi Alvin, when I referred to a hierarchy, it was not to the preference between one type of snap and another, which as you say is handled in the drawing aids window, but a hierarchy of what snaps and in what contexts different drawing and measuring tools can use those snaps. I haven't tried for a while but I used to find that the line tool was the most "snappy" of all the tools, and often the only way of getting a measurement off a 3d shape was to snap lines to features, and then to snap measurements to the lines. I have always assumed that this was because the line tool was the oldest tool in the box, and deeply embedded in the program the way newer tools aren't.