TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

block edit content!.
Read 984 times
* February 05, 2020, 09:41:39 PM
hi every one
im trying to install some windows on a single story construct!
i tried using a block  for some of them that are @ same specs,, but when editing the block contents, i cant seem to be able to undo /revert, this editing!.
any help with this please?.
cheers.,

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D
Win10- 64bit, intel P 3GHz 8G Ram nivdia Gforce710A

February 06, 2020, 02:14:06 AM
i tried using a block  for some of them that are @ same specs,, but when editing the block contents, i cant seem to be able to undo /revert, this editing!.

Are you trying to undo edits made within the Block editor before saving, or trying to undo changes to a Block definition after it has been saved and you have returned to Model space?

If the latter, I don't know that it can be done.   Better to copy the Block definition and rename it.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 06, 2020, 10:50:44 PM
hi jeff:
yes its when im using the EC in the blocks pallet,  to edit A block orientation ,.
the problem is, that this block gets isolate from the rest of the project window( when in editing mode),, making it very tricky to get it right!
& when i tick the finish editing the block tab! only then it re appears, in the main window with the rest of the project,
So! if the editing is wrong! i have to delete the block & restart again, ( because i cant Revers /undo the editing step).
cheers.

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 06, 2020, 11:26:22 PM
You can use select edit to edit blocks in place.
select the block and then select edit
https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/T2UG/pages/101646395/In+Place+Editing+of+Groups+and+Blocks
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:35:17 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

February 07, 2020, 04:04:50 AM
the problem is, that this block gets isolate from the rest of the project window( when in editing mode),, making it very tricky to get it right!

Another way to do it would be this:
Explode the Block object where it is, modify it to fit with the associated objects, then make it a new Block object.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

February 07, 2020, 04:29:38 AM
hi jeff:
yes its when im using the EC in the blocks pallet,  to edit A block orientation ,.
& when i tick the finish editing the block tab! only then it re appears, in the main window with the rest of the project,
So! if the editing is wrong! i have to delete the block & restart again, ( because i cant Revers /undo the editing step).
cheers.

Yes, that is a know issue/limitation with older TurboCAD versions.
Good News!... If you Upgrade to a current or more recent version*, they added the ability to not only see, but also Snap to drawing space objects that are not in the Block (same for Groups).

But, until you get the $$ to Upgrade from your version-20, as Nikki said, you can edit the Block contents in place, in the drawing space; you just can't Snap to the objects that are in the drawing space that are not in the Block/Group.

_____
*Someone please chime in with what version they added this ability.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 08, 2020, 12:25:21 AM
hi guys:
thanks for your help on this one,.
now! i tried what nikki has suggested , as in to edit the block in place,
 but in doing so causes the (window block insertion) to lose its vital characteristics,including the see through Glass! as it changes to a black rectangle that is stuck in the middle of the wall!, & even if i increase the thickness of the window block, it still douse not cut through the wall, but instead it changes to a black rect on both sides.( in both render modes.).
& as Jeff has suggested to explode the block & do the editing & recreate a new block for the particular window,,
this action seems to delete some of the block components, ( the frame).
so my only work around that seems to work is.
to first  change the block into a group, & from there i can do the changes in place as nikki has advised,
and by doing  seem to work OK .
cheers.

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 08, 2020, 01:56:40 AM
It sounds like something is wrong with the block
Is it possible to post a drawing with the corrupt block to the forum?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

February 08, 2020, 03:00:41 AM
hi guys:
thanks for your help on this one,.
now! i tried what nikki has suggested , as in to edit the block in place,
 but in doing so causes the (window block insertion) to lose its vital characteristics,including the see through Glass! as it changes to a black rectangle that is stuck in the middle of the wall!, & even if i increase the thickness of the window block, it still douse not cut through the wall, but instead it changes to a black rect on both sides.( in both render modes.).
& as Jeff has suggested to explode the block & do the editing & recreate a new block for the particular window,,
this action seems to delete some of the block components, ( the frame).
so my only work around that seems to work is.
to first  change the block into a group, & from there i can do the changes in place as nikki has advised,
and by doing  seem to work OK .
cheers.

That issue is probably due to some of the Properties settings of some of the objects within your Block.

We'll need the TurboCAD Drawing file (.tcw) in order to effectively educate you much further.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* February 09, 2020, 10:04:03 PM
i don't seem to be able to attach the JPEG images that i produced for the block that was in question!.
when attaching them to the reply message & clicking  post ( all i get is a blank screen ) & when trying to get help on how to post an attachment im getting the SMF Run around!.
????

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 10, 2020, 12:04:11 AM
The TCW file will be better anyway

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 10, 2020, 12:48:36 AM
here goes, two attachments  hopefully,
all window blocks X1500mm Z1000  Y12.7.
on world plan culprit block is clearly stuck in middle of wall even though all block insertions are the same!..

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 10, 2020, 03:05:09 AM
The object you are pointing to is a TC window not a block.
It doesn't seem to be linked to the wall.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 10, 2020, 03:34:12 AM

Normally blocks need to be dragged from the block palette onto wall so that they link to the wall.
- in recent versions, when a block isn't linked to the wall you can select the block drag it - in the same way you move a block- and hold the control key down when you position the block ,  a copy will be made which is linked to the wall.

I see that you have used TC windows to define your blocks
I would make a copy of the block in the block palette and edit the new block and drag that onto the wall. Or replace an existing block with the new block in the properties palette.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

February 10, 2020, 04:44:03 AM
i don't seem to be able to attach the JPEG images that i produced for the block that was in question!.
when attaching them to the reply message & clicking  post ( all i get is a blank screen ) & when trying to get help on how to post an attachment im getting the SMF Run around!.
????

That typically means that the file or combination of files is/are too large-- too many megabytes-- for to be allowable on the Forum.
I'm thinking the limit is somewhere around 8mb.

There used to be a little error message that came up; now it just does what you described.

Alvin Gregorio

* February 10, 2020, 06:22:55 PM
all window Blocks including the one that is stuck in the middle of the wall!,  are of the same block , from the blocks pallet.
i generated the original block from a standard window & did a EC to rotate the block 90' ,
as for the rest of properties all originated from the TC window..
all of other blocks in drawing , i dragged & snapped to walls & they all automatically rotated & fitted nicely with the walls directions & orientation.
i did not have to change the world plan or any coordinates. as all blocks fitted where i wanted them to be. except the one that you see inside the wall!.
 On insertion it snapped perpendicular in the middle  of the wall ( for some reason).

so i tried the EC through blocks pallet,   & sure enough  i couldn't rotate it because
all other blocks did the same.
& when i used the edit tool & rotated it in place,, it got sucked in the wall. ( it lost some of the original components).
i tried working on its properties, but with no luck,.
so my work around, was by deleting it & installing another one with the same specs, & this time i had to change it from a block to a group.
after i did the rotation, & also increased the (12.7mm thickens of group) to 150mm to insure full penetration of wall., & it seems to work. as the new group didn't seem to loos any of its characteristics...

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 10, 2020, 07:40:31 PM
It is not a block its a window you have exploded it at some point .

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 10, 2020, 10:29:54 PM
hi nikki
at no point i used the Explode command.
the only thing that i done was to edit (in place) the block orientation from perpendicular to in line  & as you said it has reverted to a window ,but with out the cut out in the wall.
its still visible only in wire frame mode, & not in any of the other render modes.

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

* February 10, 2020, 10:42:08 PM
It is not cutting an opening in the wall because it is not linked to the wall.
I think it is not linked to the wall because they are not on the same workplane.
It seems like a simple window design, doesn't deluxe include a double casement window?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 11, 2020, 05:00:10 AM
re: …doesn't Deluxe include a double casement window?

Deluxe only has the following two ‘Types" and no ‘Shapes’.
Window Type:
Picture
Awning Transom

Door Type:
Single
Double-Dhung

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* February 11, 2020, 03:57:04 PM
hi guys:
i attached a couple of shots of the situation that im having.
the window is a standard TC Deluxe window.
& i believe that is attached to the wall as in fig1 .
but ! when i come to edit it in place,, it comes to be a 2D object no 3D.
and as you can see in fig 1 its a standard 1500mm X1000MM ( insertion) .
Now, when i need to rotate it vertically to change the orientation of the glass sliding panels, ( its a no go) because it only registers as a 2 D object.
 so when creating a block from this window that is in fig2 i can insert it as a block into the wall as in fig 3 but the one in fig 2 goes vamoose into the wall, when i switch from wireframe to render modes!.
 the window it self is still part of the wall on insertion ,but when creating a block from it !, it changes part of it characteristics, as you can see in wire/render modes.

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

February 11, 2020, 06:32:32 PM
[Alvin Edited bob's just-previous post; for clarity]

Hi Guys:

I attached a couple of shots of the situation that I'm having.

The Window is a standard TC Deluxe window-- I believe that is attached to the wall as in Fig-1.
But!-- When I edit it in place, it becomes a 2D object, not 3D.

As you can see in Fig-1, it is a standard 1500mm X1000MM (insertion).
Now, when I need to rotate it vertically to change the orientation of the glass sliding panels, its a no-go, because it only seemingly displays as a 2D object.

So when creating a Block from this Window-- that is in Fig-2-- I can insert it as a Block into the Wall as in Fig-3; but the one in Fig-2 goes vamoose into the Wall when I switch from Wireframe to Render modes!

The Window itself is still part of the Wall upon insertion, but when creating a Block from it, it changes part of it characteristics, as you can see in Wireframe versus Render modes.
--bob_snz [edited by Alvin]

Alvin Gregorio

February 11, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
[Alvin Edited bob's just-previous post; for clarity]

Hi Guys:

I attached a couple of shots of the situation that I'm having.

The Window is a standard TC Deluxe window-- I believe that is attached to the wall as in Fig-1.
But!-- When I edit it in place, it becomes a 2D object, not 3D.

As you can see in Fig-1, it is a standard 1500mm X1000MM (insertion).
Now, when I need to rotate it vertically to change the orientation of the glass sliding panels, its a no-go, because it only seemingly displays as a 2D object.

So when creating a Block from this Window-- that is in Fig-2-- I can insert it as a Block into the Wall as in Fig-3; but the one in Fig-2 goes vamoose into the Wall when I switch from Wireframe to Render modes!

The Window itself is still part of the Wall upon insertion, but when creating a Block from it, it changes part of it characteristics, as you can see in Wireframe versus Render modes.
--bob_snz [edited by Alvin]

The Window in Figure-1 is an actual TurboCAD Window, created via parameters in the Style Manager.
That is why you cannot simply rotate it.

But I am not clear if that is what you are trying to achieve, Bob.
In fact, reading your posts this thread, including the one I edited (above), I still do not know what your question and objective is/are.

Please state, in a simple sentence or two, what specifically is your question and objective.

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

February 11, 2020, 07:57:42 PM
Okay.

Let's assume that your question/objective is how to use the Opening Tool (not the Window tool) to correctly insert a Window into your Walls.
Or how to accomplish the same thing, via dragging out the Block into/onto a Wall.

As Nikki alluded to previously or straight-out said, it seems to be a Workplane issue.

Do this, to experiment and get a sense of what's going on:
>Up at the top Menu bar, click on Workspace
>Near the bottom, turn on by clicking on it-- User Coordinate Icon
>Activate the Workplane by Entity Tool.  It should be in your Local Menu, available by right-clicking; or again go up there to the Workspace Menu and click on Workplane and proceed through the expansion fly-outs to get to and click on "Workplane by Entity".
>Start clicking on stuff, including that tall Wall in Figure-2.
>Keep an eye on the User Coordinate Icon as it moves around and rotates.

____
Also-- It seems that-- in Figure-2, in that tall Wall-- you did not insert correctly.  That is why it is not behaving as you wish.
Since you rotated that wall (Z-axis is now pointing east, it should be up), the bottom of that wall is actually on the west side.
Don't know what I mean?-- Insert the window opening Block again, but this time drag it onto the west (left, in your initial view that you shared with us) edge of that Wall.

Better yet-- Simply rotate that Wall back to where it's Z is pointing up.  Then insert the window opening Block.

TurboCAD is not going to create the "block-out" opening in that Wall if you insert the Opening in one of its sides; you have to insert it via the bottom of the Wall (which, as I said, since you rotated the Wall about its Y axis, is now to the west).

Alvin Gregorio

* February 11, 2020, 08:18:16 PM
I think your problem is that the contents of the block is a TC window.
I presume you are using a window to take advantage of the parametric capabilities. But TC seems to be confused.
I would make a copy of the original block - for each new window size. Edit via the block edit page change the sizes and explode the window.
It seems like a lot of work when you first start drawing but if you can save the window blocks to the library you can use them in all future drawings.
Deluxe is a great tool for hobby users but the platinum version has a slightly better set of architectural tools.

As frustrating as it is You need to use the architectural tools as they were designed.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:21:30 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

February 11, 2020, 08:54:49 PM
See how the attached Deluxe TurboCAD Drawing file behaves for you Bob.
I didn't do anything to/with your Figure-1.

Alvin Gregorio

* February 11, 2020, 10:15:58 PM
hi guys:
thanks for your reply's regarding this one.
and yes as Nikki has mentioned im trying to manipulate the standard window  in TC Deluxe by using the blocks (trying to have more editing capabilities).
and as for figure 1A that Alvin has  posted,.
i wonder how did you rotate the window with out the wall. (my problem in figure2) .
As my main reason for posting this topic in the first place, was to find out if i can revert the EC Actions in the blocks pallet or not.
ill go through all your advice & hopefully ill get things rolling.
cheers.

TC Deluxe V20-2D/3D

February 12, 2020, 04:20:53 AM
hi guys:
thanks for your reply's regarding this one.
and yes as Nikki has mentioned im trying to manipulate the standard window  in TC Deluxe by using the blocks (trying to have more editing capabilities).
and as for figure 1A that Alvin has  posted,.
i wonder how did you rotate the window with out the wall. (my problem in figure2) .
As my main reason for posting this topic in the first place, was to find out if i can revert the EC Actions in the blocks pallet or not.
ill go through all your advice & hopefully ill get things rolling.
cheers.

In Figure-1a(Alvin's), all I did was use another/different Block, which I created.
I created it by dragging into Modelspace- not into/onto a Wall-- your 1500x1000 Block (taller, than it is wide)*
Then I Exploded it.
Then I rotated it (and changed the Reference Point and moved it such that the center of the bottom facet is at World=0,0,0).
Then Formatted that to create a new/another Block-- 1000x1500 (wider, than it is tall)*.
Then inserted that/my new Block into the Wall in Figure-1a.
_______
I do not think trying to rotate a Window or Door-- or window or door Opening-- in a Wall is good practice, even if one can somehow figure out how to manipulate TurboCAD into doing such.
_______
*In my region-- west USA-- it is common architectural and architectural-construction practice to specify (aka "call out") window and door sizes with width first, height second.
  You have your window Block named the opposite, and-- as I've worked with hundred or thousands of these in my life-- it was/is difficult to wrap my head around which window is which; I keep getting them backwards in my mind.

Alvin Gregorio