TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Snowmobile Front Suspension
Read 202 times
* September 09, 2019, 08:44:51 PM
Here is one half of a Ski Doo T3 front suspension kit that I modeled before I installed the actual components on a sled that had a meeting with a rock out in Cooke City Montana. I modeled all of this back in version 18 and have been working on the rendering some to use for my future website. This is standard lighting with ambient, headlight, and 1 directional with DBC's shadow catcher below it all. I am not exactly pleased with the rendering and need to work on it especially figuring out how to get soft shadows. Regardless I though I would post it as it was a fun project years ago. I am going through some of my models and trying to make nice renders so I may share some more soon. Thanks for having a look and all feedback is welcome especially on the rendering.

TC 14 pro.  TC 18, 21,22 pro platinum. 3 s10's and an s4. Creality Ender 5.

September 09, 2019, 08:56:06 PM
Those look great. Thanks for sharing.

With regards to soft shadows, if you are using lightworks and have set up for soft shadows and are still not getting them, go to Options / LightWorks and uncheck transparency (or whatever it is called) as that overrides the render manager setting.

* September 09, 2019, 09:26:27 PM
Thanks Don. You know I had unchecked that box and tried many things and never was able to get any soft shadows. I just hopped back on the computer and re opened the drawing and then unchecked that box and voila! Soft shadows. Ha ha, ya just have to love this program enough to be patient with it I guess. Thanks.

* September 10, 2019, 12:20:15 AM
Yes nice drawing, looking forward to the rest of the drawing.

Maybe a little bit of glossy black would be nice on the shock absorber.

Please put your name aka nickname in your signature, s obsessed is a bit of a mouthful.🙄

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5 & LightWorks rendering mostly.

* September 10, 2019, 06:05:21 AM
Thanks Darryl. Looking back at the actual pictures the shock was painted black with a black spring. My personal sled has a plated shock body with a blue spring so that is maybe why I chose those colors. I may have to play around with that some. I changed my name as you guys see it. I didn't know I could do that. I dislike the name "s obsessed" as I realized a long while after using it for many forums that it could be understood in a way that I didn't intend instead of the fact that I have had so many s10 pickups and blazers and an Audi s4. I am glad I could change it and keep my connections to the questions I have posted here over the years.

* September 15, 2019, 06:46:55 PM
I decided to assemble the parts as it would be completed on the sled. In these renders I used luminance lighting with lightworks instead of the standard lights. Took some time to put all the pieces where they go. I would have to dig for my original measurements so everything is just arbitrary and how it looks close to some pictures as far as the angles of the arms and shock. Thanks for looking.

September 15, 2019, 07:09:47 PM
The renders and modeling look terrific Brandon!

* September 15, 2019, 09:52:26 PM
Hi Brandon now these renders look really good with the contrasting materials. Good modelling too.

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5 & LightWorks rendering mostly.

September 16, 2019, 02:37:25 AM
Nicely done.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 16, 2019, 08:52:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Thanks to Mr. Cheke for the start on luminance lighting and shadow catchers in some of your youtube videos. I now look forward to playing with other models since Don took some mystery out of the rendering info. The manual is a little dry to read on these things for me. I would like to completely redraw this in alibre also but I am slow to really get into that program. Ya know Don, if you made some Alibre tutorials also I think the world would give you a big smile cause there is not much out there for that program at least from what I have seen. Making one object is not a big deal but doing a larger assembly with a paid for video instruction would be really great. Hint hint.  :)

September 16, 2019, 10:55:15 AM
I would like to completely redraw this in alibre also but I am slow to really get into that program. Ya know Don, if you made some Alibre tutorials also I think the world would give you a big smile cause there is not much out there for that program at least from what I have seen. Making one object is not a big deal but doing a larger assembly with a paid for video instruction would be really great. Hint hint.  :)

Hi Brandon,

I am pondering the idea of creating some Alibre tutorials, but I am hesitant to put in the work it takes to break into a new market. I had used Alibre for a little while back in 2011-2012 and even produced one tutorial that sold very few and only to fellow TurboCAD users that also had Alibre. Then my work world got very busy and I only looked at Alibre again in May of this year when I 'retired' from my day job. I have been playing around with Alibre quite a bit since May and find it a reasonable program and it is much easier for me now than it was then. Like you, I also see that there is nothing for comprehensive tutorials and so there is a place for them. Alibre, like TurboCAD, is a very small market, so putting in the time for little return will not be the motivating factor. I will need to find something in Alibre that make me want to do it for the love of it. My love affair with TurboCAD had been renewed since I retired and I am once again enjoying the process of tutorial production. Even still, there are very few new customers, most of my tutorial sales go to previous customers who purchase many if not all that I produce. I can't imagine that they are still looking to learn (but some say they still pick up new things with every one). I expect that many purchase and work through them as a form of entertainment or just to support me in this endeavor. Whatever the case may be, I appreciate it more that they can probably imagine. At any rate, time will tell how this will pan out.

Hope you don't feel this response is hijacking your thread.

* September 16, 2019, 12:51:03 PM
No hijack at all Don. I understand your reasoning and point of view. You make great tutorials so it would be great to see it on another platform as well. How ever you progress I am sure it will work out great. Thanks.