TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

TC21 Pro Platinum 64 bit locking up - Selection tool seems to be the culprit
Read 267 times
* September 07, 2019, 09:24:43 AM
My TC 21 PP was working fine (apart from the occasional crash while rotating 3D objects) until just recently. Now, both new and existing drawings freeze after perhaps 15 seconds of use. I mean no response whatsoever. It may have something to do with the selection tool, because when I change tools it seems to release and start functioning again. When I go back to the selection tool I have maybe 2-3 clicks and it freezes again. Any experience with this out there?

September 07, 2019, 09:41:32 AM
For me, it happens when I select something and TurboCAD recalculates.  If it's a massive object and it is identifying nodes, that takes a while.  If I am in a render mode with a large screen and a complex object, that takes a while, too.

But I am unfamiliar with this happening on new drawings (if, by 'new', you mean mostly empty).  Is that what you meant?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* September 07, 2019, 10:06:04 AM
My TC 21 PP was working fine (apart from the occasional crash while rotating 3D objects) until just recently. Now, both new and existing drawings freeze after perhaps 15 seconds of use. I mean no response whatsoever. It may have something to do with the selection tool, because when I change tools it seems to release and start functioning again. When I go back to the selection tool I have maybe 2-3 clicks and it freezes again. Any experience with this out there?

Including the bit about "(apart from the occasional crash while rotating 3D objects)", do you notice this issue occurring mainly/only when the drawing is rendered?  Or does it also occur when working in Wireframe?

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 07, 2019, 10:33:24 PM
Recently Windows upgraded - as it does - and all my files became really slow.
Could that be your problem too?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* September 08, 2019, 03:33:10 PM
When I say "New file" I mean nothing more than 12 random lines drawn at various angles. The simplest of drawings. I just now drew 5 lines at random angles, switched to selection tool, and began clicking on the lines one by one. By the fourth line, it stopped responding and the current line stays selected. I can use my mouse wheel to zoom in and out and see the rulers changing but the drawing stays static and locked onto the selected line. I can escape, right click for properties, left click for a drop down menu, but the selection WILL NOT release or drawing unfreeze until I select another tool from the sidebar.

* September 08, 2019, 03:35:56 PM
Before this problem it would lock up in a simple wire frame drawing regularly if I rotate in 3D for more than 30 seconds or so.

* September 08, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
The edit tool doesn't seem to have this problem, only the select tool. And I reverted to my previous keyboard to eliminate that as a problem, but no change. Select is still locking up the drawing and won't release unless another tool is selected.

* September 08, 2019, 04:11:17 PM
It is the same in 2D or 3D. The selection tool just freezes the display after 3-4 clicks. Also, the drag left or drag right selection modes do no work either. As a separate issue or perhaps not, I see that the show/hide intersections between 3D and workplane isnt working either now. Nothing is red although I drew two objects on the work plane.

* September 08, 2019, 04:30:20 PM
It just keeps getting better...I closed TC and restarted using "run as administrator"...got a Win compatibility check notice so I ran that. Now I can't open TC at all...not in admin, not opening an existing file...nothing. Dead in the water. WTH is going on?

* September 08, 2019, 04:36:14 PM
Have you try'd to delete the built-in folder ??
Normally placed at
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\21x64\Professional\Data\Profiles

TC should be shut of when doing so, it will delete your personal settings, so you will need to set up cfg(UI) and Template etc again when you start up TC again, the Built.in folder will rebuilt itself.

If that not help i would do it again, but this time close your pc, wait 10-15 sec and restart pc, then run a repair of TC in windows apps and features and finally start TC again after that.

If you use the Sun in Geo Location, uncheck it, as there was some issues about that in an earlier version and i believe it was in v 21.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* September 08, 2019, 05:57:01 PM
Have you try'd to delete the built-in folder ??
Normally placed at
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\21x64\Professional\Data\Profiles

TC should be shut of when doing so, it will delete your personal settings, so you will need to set up cfg(UI) and Template etc again when you start up TC again, the Built.in folder will rebuilt itself.

If that not help i would do it again, but this time close your pc, wait 10-15 sec and restart pc, then run a repair of TC in windows apps and features and finally start TC again after that.

If you use the Sun in Geo Location, uncheck it, as there was some issues about that in an earlier version and i believe it was in v 21.

Torfinn

Tried all your suggestions and nothing works. Now the program won't open normally or in admin mode, only the initial open file dialog box opens. Regardless of which file I choose to open, or select New, it just closes the open dialog box and nothing opens. Plus, my PC starts throwing up 3-4 alerts that an app caused a problem with the default app setting for .png and .htm files.

* September 08, 2019, 07:21:19 PM
Deleted the Buit-In folder per instructions and didn't help either. Program refuses to open now beyond Open File dialog box. I get an unhandled exception error and TC21 closes. I'm running Win10 Pro and it's worked fine up until the past week so compatibility isn't the issue. I'm out of ideas. Help.

* September 08, 2019, 07:25:23 PM
Deleted the Buit-In folder per instructions and didn't help either. Program refuses to open now beyond Open File dialog box. I get an unhandled exception error and TC21 closes. I'm running Win10 Pro and it's worked fine up until the past week so compatibility isn't the issue. I'm out of ideas. Help.

I think I'd uninstall the program and then reinstall it. Might be a good idea to clean up the Registry, too, if you know how (I don't).

Henry H

* September 08, 2019, 07:34:36 PM
Thanks Henry...I think I'm to that point, however I'll have to research how to get a complete uninstall accomplished if registry items are involved.

* September 08, 2019, 11:51:59 PM
Make contact with support and ask for a v 21 cleaner, you will never find everything in the register to clean it out 100 % yourself.
Win 10 Pro and TC are not best friends, there have been some issues about it, but not like yours, as i know about.
And i assume you have try'd to run TC in Win 8 mode.

BTW, it's always a good idea to write TC version/ edition and Win version/ edition in your signatur.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB