TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

TC 2019 Drafting Palette
Read 1841 times
August 09, 2019, 05:25:11 PM
I sure am finding TC 2019 to be quite challenging to work with, performance-wise, especially when trying to use the drafting palette. A few parts with a few threads and it takes huge stretches of time to create the drafting palette objects. I am having the program crash while doing so, just blinking out of existence. I am thinking I might have to abandon the drafting palette and just use viewports, but then I don't have all the functionality I would like to demonstrate. I don't even know what to tell the programmers that might provide a hint of some kind of fix. I guess the best one can hope for is that they are aware of performance issues and have some kind of plan to fix it, but I have a suspicion that this is not even on their radar.

Note that the same file works just fine in TC 2018 where I have never installed the RedSDK program add-in.
Note too that even running TC 2019 in GDI Mode, the program still struggles with the file.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:01:27 PM by Don Cheke »

August 10, 2019, 04:06:30 AM
Hi Don

Can you post an example file you mention it's struggling with?

Does changing the ACIS Faceter Quality help at all?

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

August 10, 2019, 08:21:56 AM
Hi Don

Can you post an example file you mention it's struggling with?

Does changing the ACIS Faceter Quality help at all?

All you have to do is create a part with some genuine threads in it, like the boring head body in the attached image, and it will likely struggle. The attached image is from TC 2018 where no issues were encountered. I even uninstalled RED 2019 plugin and uninstalled TC 2019 and then reinstalled without Red and still the issues persist in TC2019. They obviously changed something between versions that affects the drafting palette.

As for changing ACIS setting that was  the first thing I thought to try. But even turning is way down does nothing to remedy the issue.

* August 11, 2019, 01:57:48 PM
I sure am finding TC 2019 to be quite challenging to work with, performance-wise, especially when trying to use the drafting palette. A few parts with a few threads and it takes huge stretches of time to create the drafting palette objects. I am having the program crash while doing so, just blinking out of existence. I am thinking I might have to abandon the drafting palette and just use viewports, but then I don't have all the functionality I would like to demonstrate. I don't even know what to tell the programmers that might provide a hint of some kind of fix. I guess the best one can hope for is that they are aware of performance issues and have some kind of plan to fix it, but I have a suspicion that this is not even on their radar.

Note that the same file works just fine in TC 2018 where I have never installed the RedSDK program add-in.
Note too that even running TC 2019 in GDI Mode, the program still struggles with the file.

Yeah Don, It has gotten worse though it always has been somewhat slow when "adding" part assemblies. I tried my test drawing a threaded rod 18"x1" genuine threads and TC is really slow, kinda how slow like this forum gets at times  ;D
I usually create the part assemble insert then explode it then delete its reference in the drafting palette. Saving a drawing with multiple part assemblies in the drafting palette pushes the size of the drawing way way up.

More power isn't always the answer working with TC. I wish there was a way to remove all Redstuff references in the program folders, just because  ;D Maybe they could create 2 Turbocads 1 only with LightWorks and 1 only with redstuff because even in GDI mode without the redstuff pugin I see redsdk references.
You should put in your signature what you are using.
I'm sure it's a lot more super duper than mine....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:09:07 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* August 16, 2019, 11:21:13 AM
Hi Don
I had a little go at your drawing to see if my new PC worked any better than my other PC which was really slow using Turbocad 2019.Using the thread tools within Turbocad the drafting pallet seem to work ok so my initial thoughts would be if the threads that you use are imported threads do you think that would make a difference , although everything worked in version 2018 there might be a slight difference in the translators in version 2019.
Just a wild guess.

Warren

August 16, 2019, 11:49:15 AM
Hi Don
I had a little go at your drawing to see if my new PC worked any better than my other PC which was really slow using Turbocad 2019.Using the thread tools within Turbocad the drafting pallet seem to work ok so my initial thoughts would be if the threads that you use are imported threads do you think that would make a difference , although everything worked in version 2018 there might be a slight difference in the translators in version 2019.
Just a wild guess.

Warren

Hi Warren,

Thanks for checking things out. Actually, all the threads, this time, were made using the Thread3D tool. This is part of my preliminary work developing a new tutorial that includes the creation of all threaded components and fasteners. If you had decent results, that is good news as this may just be local issues based on the computer I have. I have a Nvidia Quadro video card and have often thought that this wasn't the best choice for TurboCAD, although I got it more specifically to work with SolidWorks, and it seems TurboCAD is a casualty of it. This gives me hope that others may not encounter the issues I do. In the tutorial I discuss the issues and offer a number of alternatives, but it is always best when users can just follow along and have TurboCAD perform as it should.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:49:21 AM by Don Cheke »