TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

No Longer Able To Dimension Anything
Read 2401 times
* June 28, 2019, 01:42:53 PM
For some reason, I can no longer add linear dimensions to any drawing!

I have a large assembly-drawing that I was modifying and making satellite drawings from, and that has many key dimensions I don't remember giving me any significant problems. It was laborious editing their properties to make them legible and consistent in appearance, but they all worked. Even though I find the maze of dimension types confusing and the User's Guide makes it even worse.

Diameters and radii seem to work, but even experimenting on dimensioning a plain rectangle divided into 4 by 2 centre-lines fails.

As I understand it, all dimension types needs snaps to locate them properly. So I set the appropriate (or least inappropriate?) snaps, pick any of the linear dimension tool that looks sensible, and select the entity to be measured. It used to work, but now either:

The drawing generates the dimension, but if I drag it away from the outline it creates a message  about no snaps in snap aperture, so I need turn the Snaps off. This is even if it's selected the right part of the object in the first place. That leaves no choice but to draw the dimension  by eye so obviously not accurately.

OR  Sometimes at least, I can leave the dimension on the entity outline, click away from it, then Select it and use a Delta move to place it properly - only it has no extension-lines indicating the start and end points.

I've tried everything I can think of - using the supplied templates and letting TC decide what layers to use, placing everything on one layer, trying different dimension tools, different snap types..... I thought I found a solution of sorts, by right-clicking on the active dimension with the main snaps off, and selecting a Local Snap; but I think the once or twice this worked was pure chance.

Some dimension tools produce a little tool-bar in the bottom-left of the screen, but this doesn't help. I don't remember seeing that until very recently, and I have not noticed which particular dimension type it's for.

Whatever I try, there is no pattern to anything. Quite simply, I can no longer rely on properly dimensioning even the simplest drawing: just occasionally it works, but I have no idea why.

So what's gone wrong please?

Otherwise I've no choice but dimensioning everything by eye, non-snapped, and editing the texts to the right values.

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* June 28, 2019, 08:57:43 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very low knowledge of English - I ask for indulgence - Thanks
Currently installed
TurboCAD  Professional 32-bit V.17.2.77.1
TurboCAD 2016 ProPlatinum 64-bit V23.2-61.2 engl.
TurboCAD 2015 2D V.22.2.51.4
on Win 10.

* June 29, 2019, 01:01:48 AM
Thank you Sauaerkraut2018

OOOPS! I replied to that reference by mistake, instead of here!

Anyway, I followed everything there but it still doesn't work.

I set the snaps for the dimensions I want but they raise a message telling me to turn the snaps of. As far as I can see I am doping everything right, and I've run out of ideas why I can't dimension anything, yet I've not had the problem previously.

This with the straightforward Quick, Parallel and Orthgraphic dimensions, no the complicated ones like Baseline; and in 2D only

Nigel.

June 29, 2019, 01:07:28 AM
I set the snaps for the dimensions I want but they raise a message telling me to turn the snaps of.

In all the years I've used TurboCAD, I have never seen a notice to turn snaps off.  I've got to wonder just what it is you are doing.

Any chance you could upload your file and indicate where you want the measurements to be made?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 29, 2019, 10:14:20 AM
This is what appears:

"The requested operation cannot be completed.
A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled."

It's a sort of circular trap. The dimensions need the snaps but turning them on somehow stops the dimensions working. As far as I can see I am not doing anything wrong. I'll try a new drawing and add it here, but the directory system on this PC is so strange (and it's how it came, not my settings) it's very hard to find the TC drawings. I have TC running so can switch back and forth.

Oh Hell!!! I can't even reproduce the drawing. All I want is a simple rectangle, but the same's happening with that. A New drawing, not one of the templates; select Rectangle, try to draw it and the same error message appears.

I tried again, and this time produced a rectangle, divided it into 4; BUT I have no idea what changed or what I did differently between them.

The outline responded to Quick dimensions, a bit grudgingly.
Using Ortho or Parallel dimensions for the two centre-lines, fails - that No Snap Points" nonsense again.
Similarly, I could not dimensions the circle's diameter: same error.

I know everyone else finds TurboCAD easy, but it's the most difficult software I've ever come across. I get one thing right and something else fails. Your comment about you never seeing the sort of problem I have at the moment means I've no hope.

Nigel.

June 29, 2019, 03:50:10 PM
I had zero problems snapping to any feature for a dimension.

What does your Snap control popup look like?

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 29, 2019, 08:49:48 PM
This is what appears:

"The requested operation cannot be completed.
A Snap mode is active with no snap points within the snap aperture.
Re-try the operation with snap disabled."

It's a sort of circular trap. The dimensions need the snaps but turning them on somehow stops the dimensions working. As far as I can see I am not doing anything wrong. I'll try a new drawing and add it here, but the directory system on this PC is so strange (and it's how it came, not my settings) it's very hard to find the TC drawings. I have TC running so can switch back and forth.

Oh Hell!!! I can't even reproduce the drawing. All I want is a simple rectangle, but the same's happening with that. A New drawing, not one of the templates; select Rectangle, try to draw it and the same error message appears.

I tried again, and this time produced a rectangle, divided it into 4; BUT I have no idea what changed or what I did differently between them.

The outline responded to Quick dimensions, a bit grudgingly.
Using Ortho or Parallel dimensions for the two centre-lines, fails - that No Snap Points" nonsense again.
Similarly, I could not dimensions the circle's diameter: same error.

I know everyone else finds TurboCAD easy, but it's the most difficult software I've ever come across. I get one thing right and something else fails. Your comment about you never seeing the sort of problem I have at the moment means I've no hope.

This is just my 2¢ to add.
I had no problem adding dimensions to your drawing sketch. I don't have Snaps turned on as shown in the Drawing Aids attachment. I use the SEKE keys (found in Keyboard Help) for all dimension Snaps as well as wherever else they're needed. For me, it keeps things simple and simple is good.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Don
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:47:36 PM by DonCW »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum
2020 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* June 30, 2019, 03:12:29 AM
Sorry Gentlemen, but that's still not left me anything but that purely manual way of dimensioning.

That Snaps table doesn't help because it's self-contradictory.

At the top it says "No snap mode" which you both say should be ticked. I assume that turns the snaps off.

Jeffin - your screen shot doesn't open properly here, so all I can see is the very top bit. I can't see any of the pictures now, probably because having switched between here and TurboCAD a few times has removed their links! Anyway I think you'd annotated that "No Snaps Mode" as "usually off" - but I don't know whether you meant leave that that box blank so the snaps are "on", or tick it so the snaps are "off".

Don - Your table showed that "Snaps Mode Off" ticked, then just two snaps on - Grid and Quadrant Point, then I think you'd left that confusing one about "Turn snap mode off if any snap is activated", blank.   

So I have no idea what is actually switched on or not! It looks to me as if NO snaps are on at all!

I set it up in the same way and tried to dimension the locations of the centre-lines in the rectangle, orthographically. This proved no snaps are on: there were no little Snap diamonds, that error message did not appear, and the numbers were just big enough to be legible. They were not though, true dimensions. They were where | judged them by eye. As I expected, with all the Snaps switched off.

Interestingly though the circle diameter tool worked. That appears not to rely on snaps. It even followed me changing the circle from random to an integer diameter.

I tried turning the main snap control on the Inspector Bar on and off. I tried that "Turn snaps off if on..." both on and off. No difference.

Finally, I tried
   "Mode - No Snaps" OFF (I,e, unticked the box)
   "Turn 'Turn No Snap mode off if...." ON (i.e. ticked)
   "Vertex, Mid-point and Intersection" snaps all came on automatically - I'd set them in the main drop-down menu.

If the Inspector Bar Snap siwch is OFF (word grey) the dimensions work but are not snapped.
If that switch is ON (SNAP in bold) - the dimensions fail on that error message.

Short of a fault developing in the programme,  I think I must have accidentally altered TurboCAD's settings, but cannot possibly know how or where. I can only set approximate dimensions by eye, then correct their values by editing. They also look scrappy because the dimension lines are all slightly misaligned and distorted.

I suppose that's better than nothing. I can't learn anything significant in 3D mode, I'll have to live without Layers and Groups; but an engineering drawing without proper dimensions is not much use.   

SEKEs: Umm, also for experts only! Drop-down menus are much safer for someone like me. I'd need a printed list ordered alphabetically by operation, so would not gain anything.

Nigel.

June 30, 2019, 03:37:58 AM
SEKEs: Umm, also for experts only! Drop-down menus are much safer for someone like me. I'd need a printed list ordered alphabetically by operation, so would not gain anything.

I do just fine remembering 'V', 'C', 'Q' and 'E' (rarely 'I').

But from your description, it seems that you are not properly positioning the cursor before using the snaps in any mode.  Can you make a video that shows us what you are doing and when you get the failure?  If so, please don't make it too large or you won't be able to upload it.

Jeff

* June 30, 2019, 07:46:39 AM
Thank you Jeffin.

Sorry _ I can't video what I'm doing. I've neither the means nor the knowledge to do so.

The failure seems to come immediately after creating the dimension, before placing it away from the line it's measuring, but I've no idea if moving it is the cause or just a co-incidence.

It's obviously all related to trying to make it snap to particular points. That may be why I can create loose dimensions not tied to the stored co-ordinates, and not involving snaps, but I know that defeats the system.

I honestly have no idea how to set up the drawing and what controls to use or anything to prevent this problem arising, and everything I try fails. I can't see any pattern in it either, and sometimes it wants me to turn all snaps off just to draw even a simple square.

I'm realise you need the cursor close to the appropriate snap points but for everything where the snaps do work, by eye seems sufficient. Even enlarging the snap aperture well above what should be necessary won't work. I've tried that. I placed the two cross lines on that rectangle by mid-point snaps with a snap aperture only 10 units wide, with no difficulty, so why should it be different for the dimensions?

I leave things like those SEKE keys alone because I've enough difficulty trying to use TurboCAD in its basic menu form. I see them as refinements helping expert users work more rapidly, but I am not an expert!

Nigel.

* June 30, 2019, 08:44:46 AM
Nigel,

I am able to recreate the error you describe.

"The failure seems to come immediately after creating the dimension, before placing it away from the line it's measuring, but I've no idea if moving it is the cause or just a co-incidence."

You create a dimension and then as you drag it away from the entity and click, the error message comes up saying that there is no snap point within the snap aperture.

Look on your pull up snap mode menu at the bottom of your screen.  There is an option "use mouse position if required snaps are not found".  Check this box.

When I have that option unchecked, I can create the situation you describe here.

What may be happening is that you are snapping to the extents of your object okay but when you pull your dimension away from the object to place the dimension, there is nothing to snap to.  This may also behave strangely because sometimes it may find a grid point or other hidden point to snap to which will make it appear to be working.

Toshiba Satellite S855D
AMD A10-4600 APU Radeon HD 2.3 GHz
16 GB Ram  Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
TC 2018 PP Ver. 25.0 Build 49.0

TC 2016 Pro Plat 64b ver 25 build 49  Win7 Pro 64B SP1
Intel i5 6500 3.2G 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM
Motherboard MSI Z170-A  Video Card Nvidia GTX960  Monitor Asus 27" 2560 x 1440

* June 30, 2019, 10:42:05 AM
Do you have the SNAP icon in the Status Bar turned OFF? That can occur if you left-click on it.

Just a guess.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* June 30, 2019, 02:57:03 PM
Third attempt to reply. I'm not a good typist and keep hitting some odd key combination that deletes what I'd written so far!

Thank You John!

I thought it must be something really obscure!  It's not obvious what that mouse position control does because its label suggests it would do just what I'd had happen all this time. The other thing to watch for I've noticed, is to keep the Magnetic Point switched on.

There WAS something odd in that drawing, which was not the main difficulty but did add to the confusion.

I'd drawn a plain, stock rectangle,  5 X 4, and divided it into 4 equal parts. While all the rest of the dimensions now behaved, one that should have been 2.50 kept showing as 2.44.  Once I'd followed your advice and made sure the right things were turned on, I examined the rectangle. It was the size I set, located as I set;  so I enlarged the view and could now see the magnetic point was indicating something hidden on the polyline rectangle, right next to the vertex.

I'd discovered long ago that "Select" will reveal all sorts of hidden, stacked faults like line trimmings and spurious copies. This time it showed a dimension leader from the far end of the rectangle almost to that vertex, on top of the outline.  I must have dragged that dimension to the wrong end of the outline. Deleting the assorted dimensions now cluttering the drawing, and re-dimensioning it, cleared it. 

So thank you all very much! I can only assume I'd switched off that "Use Mouse..." control at some point without knowing. Is it a default setting?

Nigel.

* June 30, 2019, 08:44:15 PM
Your "4.00 in" dimension was placed wrong. You snapped the dimension to the right corners of the rectangle, then pulled it all the way to the left side and placed it. Since dimensions have an offset space, you have an invisible snap point that will cause problems (shown in 01 pix). You want something like the '02 picture.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* July 01, 2019, 03:32:31 PM
Thank you John.
Yes, I'd realised I'd made that mistake with the dimension on the wrong side, but it wasn't obvious until you'd shown what had been happening previously.

Once back on track, I had the magnetic point back and when I enlarged the image enough to separate the snap points legibly, it showed something was hiding in the corner; but not what. It puzzled me for a time, then I remembered the Select tool will winkle out all sorts of hidden somethings; and indeed it revealed that dimension was in the wrong place.

I simply deleted the dimension and re-formed it, this time making sure I directed it correctly. 

Nigel.