TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

What frustrates me, Pro Platinum 2018
Read 1977 times
* June 25, 2019, 05:40:20 PM
There are numerous things that frustrate me about using TurboCAD, which I have been doing since v8 (I think).  I will add to the list as I come up with more.
1. I set the paper space to A3 Landscape.  Save the drawing.  Re-open the drawing and the paper space always reverts to Letter Portrait in the Printer Paper section.  Why can't the setting stick to what it has been set to?  The printer is a network printer.  We don't even use Letter sized paper in Australia.
2. On some drawings, the tabs at the bottom of the page that allow you to select model space and paper spaces appear normally, on other drawings, the tabs are "rolled up"  behind the drawing space, but can't be fully extended/expanded.  (I wish I could add an image to show this)
3.  When doing a copy and paste in model space, and I change the layer of the pasted element, it doesn't always display in the paper space.  When I close the drawing and re-open it, it then shows up.
4. If I place text on paper space over the top of a viewport, and assign to it certain characteristics (e.g. Calibri, Bold, 14pt) and then I save and reopen the drawing, the text has reverted to txt.shx and a random font size
5. When closing a drawing and re opening the Selection Info for a viewport loses previous settings, such as Override Layers Visibility, Fixed Scale etc
6. In model space, using Selection Info, and if you want to change parameter of the selected item, such as Brush Pattern, why does the selection default to the last item on the list, when I most often want to use the first item on the list (ie Solid)
7.  Again in Selection Info, when I reopen a drawing, the Brush/Brush Color always reverts to "By Pen" when I explicitly have set it to a particular color?

That will do for now, but there are many other frustrations.  I am about to upgrade to 2019, but not sure I want to spend  money on something that frustrates me this much.

* June 25, 2019, 08:39:52 PM
Can you attach some screen grabs that demo some of your problems. Can you attach a sample drawing?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* June 25, 2019, 08:47:54 PM
I'd love to add screen grabs, but can't see how

* June 25, 2019, 08:59:48 PM
When I click in the insert image icon I get: 
What do I do then?  I try dragging an image between .  That doesn't seem to work.
Can't copy and paste

* June 25, 2019, 09:49:40 PM
I'd love to add screen grabs, but can't see how

Click on the "Attachments and other options" below the message window when posting. Click on "Browse" and search for your file. If your file type isn't in the "Allowed" list, put it in a Zip file.

The "Insert Image" icon is used to post images from your website.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* June 25, 2019, 10:14:13 PM
Ok, thanks.  Here is an attachment of the tabs along the bottom, not behaving as expected.

* June 25, 2019, 10:37:24 PM
Ok theres a glitch there, try minimising the screen and then maximise the screen.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* June 25, 2019, 11:16:18 PM
Not a glitch that can be fixed by minimizing and restoring - the horizontal slider and the tabs are not sharing the same screen space like they would normally do.  The horizontal slider is below the tabs, and it preventing the tabs from stretching downwards.  Attached image.

* June 25, 2019, 11:30:52 PM
Example of text parameters being corrupted.  The text was Calibri, Bold, 14 point when the file was saved on paper space.  When reopened is is as shown on the attached screen grabs.  Have to fix the files every time I open them.

* June 25, 2019, 11:36:13 PM
Prior to shutting file down, the Override Layers Visibility  and  the Fixed Scale were checked.  After shutting down and re opening the file, they are no longer checked.

* June 25, 2019, 11:59:47 PM
Can you attach the drawing?

Daz

* June 26, 2019, 12:05:37 AM
Sorry Darryl, the drawings are legally privileged.

* June 26, 2019, 12:34:42 AM
Darryl, here is the file heavily redacted and 99% of the information stripped out

June 26, 2019, 12:52:28 AM
Bernard,

yes, if you have made no changes and don't save prior to closing the file, it doesn't save the check marks. 
However, if you choose to save after selecting the check marks, regardless of any other alterations, then for me, the check marks are retained when reopening the file.
So, save before closing. 
It could be better implemented.

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:55:11 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

* June 26, 2019, 01:55:18 AM
I have exactly the same problem with the model and Paper Space tabs and it drives me mad! I often have to open two drawings at the same time and as soon as I do this the tabs on the newly opened drawing shrink in the way you've described. The only way to solve it is to restart TC. I've even reinstalled TC to see if it makes any difference, alas no. It only started doing it last year (TurboCad 2018) - I can only assume it's a glitch of some sort.

June 26, 2019, 05:13:24 AM
1. I set the paper space to A3 Landscape.  Save the drawing.  Re-open the drawing and the paper space always reverts to Letter Portrait in the Printer Paper section.  Why can't the setting stick to what it has been set to?  The printer is a network printer.  We don't even use Letter sized paper in Australia.

Granted, TurboCAD has had problems with printer drivers for years.  I have gotten around them by using the free CutePDF printer driver.  In my experience, TurboCAD remembers the page size settings when that is the driver.

What is the Default Printer setting for Windows?  If you change that to your preferred page size, maybe that will solve your problem.

7.  Again in Selection Info, when I reopen a drawing, the Brush/Brush Color always reverts to "By Pen" when I explicitly have set it to a particular color?

I have been seeing a variation of this with 2019 (specifically, the Pen Width setting).  Haven't tracked it down to a repeatable bug for reporting it.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 26, 2019, 05:23:01 AM
I have never had any of this issue's, but have seen the hiding Tab's in a early built of v 2019, and was not the solution or at least for some to change the UI scale up just a bit in Options/ Customize ?, maybe it was a different issue, but worth to check out.
And save cfg (UI), restart TC and see if it stick after several restart's of TC
Assuming the issue have something to do with adjust TC for 4K screen.

Brush, non and solid are in different end of the scale, so maybe that was the ide'a behind where they put it in the menu, but agree they could stay as choice 1 and 2 in the menu's as it is boring to scroll all the way up or down, but then some other people may have different idea and they should stay somewhere so ….

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* June 26, 2019, 03:35:20 PM
Tim,

For me the check marks disappear even after the file is saved.  That's why it is frustrating.  I have to go into each and every paper space and re enable them for the viewports

* June 26, 2019, 03:39:50 PM
Jeff,

Thank you.  I will give CutePDF a try.  BUT, we shouldn't have to resort to this.  None of the other Windows based programs behave in this manner.  They all remember the last paper size setting for the document.

As I mentioned in my first post, TC reverts to Letter Portrait, which is a paper size that is never used in Australia, so there is no reason for TC to be picking that up from the printer