TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Resizing a set of objects
Read 1788 times
* December 07, 2019, 01:49:32 PM
Ran across this short article I wrote several years ago to address an issue I'd run across several times. Not sure whether I'd posted it then, but in any case, here it is now...

It is sometimes required to enlarge or reduce the size of a set of objects without changing the size of the objects themselves (i.e., to change the distances between objects without changing the objects). Here's a way to do it...
1. The objects must be ACIS Solids. "Primitives" such as Spheres, Boxes, or the like, if created as Solids must be exploded to make them ACIS Solids.
2. In Options>ACIS, DISable "Allow axis scale."
3. Select all of the objects in the set, type the required value in the ScaleX field of the Inspector Bar and press Enter.
4. While the objects are still selected, type the required value in the ScaleY field and press Enter. Do not try to rescale X and Y simultaneously.
5. With the objects still selected, type the required value in the ScaleZ field and press Enter. Do not try to rescale Y and Z simultaneously.
Note that the scaling factors need not be the same for each axis.

To rescale the objects themselves without moving them:
Enable "Allow axis scale," select the objects, enter the desired rescale values in the Scale fields of the Inspector Bar, and press Enter. Leaving the objects selected, DISable "Allow axis scale" and proceed as above, using as the scale factors the reciprocals of the values in the first operation. (That is, if the selection had been enlarged by a factor of 2.0 when "Allow axis scale" was enabled, use a scaling factor of 0.5 after DISabling "Allow axis scale."

Henry H

P.S. The white helices in the screenshot are simply to provide a frame of reference for anyone viewing it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:53:17 PM by Henry Hubich »

December 07, 2019, 02:54:21 PM
I had pondered this problem years ago, but never pursued it.  My thinking at the time would have been to write a plug-in to take each selected object and treat it as if individually selected.

Your method is a lot less effort.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* December 07, 2019, 03:11:07 PM
Nice one, Henry, thanks!.  That excites me as a simple, versatile way to explode parts of an assembly to diagram product documentation in TC.

Jeff, you can do it in absolute increments with a series of objects with a Transform recording.  Parts don't have to be exploded to do that, but the translated parts are dumbed down. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:15:37 PM by murray dickinson »

December 08, 2019, 05:40:09 AM
Henry,

you inspired me to produce a little illustration, of your idea.
I hope you like it.
I didn't bother with the Z axis.
Notice how the green wedge rotates. 
Strange.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:28:05 AM by Tim Stewart »

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* December 08, 2019, 11:04:32 AM
Henry,

I hope you like it.
Strange.

Regards Tim

Very nice, Tim. Y'know, I don't think I have ever used the "Wedge" tool.

Henry H

December 08, 2019, 11:56:03 AM
Henry,

I hope you like it.
Strange.

Regards Tim

Very nice, Tim. Y'know, I don't think I have ever used the "Wedge" tool.

Henry H

Nor have I, until today!

The rotation of the Wedge solid was resolved by selecting all and choosing to Place on WorkPlane (familiar story  ::)).

I will upload the TC file and corrected Animation in the Animationlab forum.

Regards Tim

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017-2020 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018-2020 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit