TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

630+ Objects in my model
Read 1705 times
* May 30, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
Got a large model with 630 objects and file size of 212mb. In wire frame mode its fine to review and manipulate but when rendering in draft mode it consumes 15+gb of ram/memory and its noticeably slower to review or manipulate. Im using my mobile atm and I searched earlier this morning and came across a part post by John R on "Turbocad Performance" and in it he talks about redsdk being better working with a large amount of objects.

Can the redsdk experts share their knowledge on the best render engine to use with the amount of objects that Ive got in this 1 drawing?

Fwiw this model will be used for animation and I intend to split this file into smaller parts visually and stitch the animation scenes together.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* May 30, 2019, 03:15:01 PM

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* May 30, 2019, 08:41:29 PM
That was long, long ago when RedSDK was introduced. Since then they've made a lot of changes to RedSDK and now everything slows down. I don't think they're using whatever it was that sped things up back then.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

May 30, 2019, 09:50:10 PM
Got a large model with 630 objects and file size of 212mb. In wire frame mode its fine to review and manipulate but when rendering in draft mode it consumes 15+gb of ram/memory and its noticeably slower to review or manipulate. Im using my mobile atm and I searched earlier this morning and came across a part post by John R on "Turbocad Performance" and in it he talks about redsdk being better working with a large amount of objects.

Can the redsdk experts share their knowledge on the best render engine to use with the amount of objects that Ive got in this 1 drawing?

Some of my files get that large (and significantly larger).  I'm loading a 2016 TCW file into 2019 and it's taking a very long time (4+ minutes, so far).

I've got to say... using this file in 2019 is very slow.  I will experiment with an earlier version and get back to you.  I'm leaving this post so that I will get notifications.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 31, 2019, 12:40:54 AM
After posting last week about whats the biggest file size and Andy asking file size or memory used, the penny has now dropped.

Before I get into the nitty - gritty the model in wire frame is almost complete and Ive LW AR rendered just about every object individually and it looks great. The model has a great amount of detail purely for animation.

So Ive been using 2018pp all along as it gives me a quick turnaround back to V21pp if I get stuck ( 2019pp can only save back to 2016pp ). So far have not been able to render the complete model in 2018pp. So I worked as follows:
Win 10 loaded, 2.7gb used
After V21pp loaded: 2.9gb used
Loaded Upperdeck file: 4.2gb used
LW draft render: 31.1gb used
( thats not a typo 31.1gb used )

GPU was hovering around 33-40% activity for the last 10 or so minutes until I saw a draft render.

Every object has a material applied and so now Ive got questions as follows:
Is there any relationship between physical size of the boat ( 42m long and 4.6m wide by 10m high ) and memory used to render?

If I was to rescale all objects by the same factor would that help with rendering?

Is there anything that I should look for to reduce render memory used?

Will redsdk render engine be any better?

Can any point me to backgound information on render materials?

Daz

May 31, 2019, 02:26:01 AM
Is there any relationship between physical size of the boat ( 42m long and 4.6m wide by 10m high ) and memory used to render?

No.  Dimensions are irrelevant; only detail matters.  A 100 meter Sphere will render faster than a 1 meter tree with 1000 leaves.

If I was to rescale all objects by the same factor would that help with rendering?

No.  If the pixel count remains the same and you have zoomed into the scene so that it takes the same amount of screen space, then it will take the same amount of time to render.

Is there anything that I should look for to reduce render memory used?

Yes, if you are using ACIS History, you can Explode those Parts down to ACIS Solids.

While I have not experimented much with this, you should also get faster rendering times if you Explode ACIS Solids down to TC Surfaces along with less memory used.

Will redsdk render engine be any better?

One can only hope.  I have two technology demonstrators (WatchDemo and TurbineDemo) installed on my computer that are amazing.  The watch demo has functioning hands that keep moving as you rotate the model (or the viewpoint) and you can do it at phenomenal speeds (more than 100 frames per second with my NVidia GTX 970 and that card is some 4 years old).  I cannot find them for download, but here is a story about the watch demo, with video: https://victorhomocea.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/redway-3d-watch-demo-on-a-rdp-8-1-session-with-windows-2012-r2-and-nvidia-grid/.  IMSI seems disheartened with Redsdk, but for the price that the plug-in goes for, you'd think that some enterprising programmer would employ more of the capabilities and produce a better product.  If even 1,000 users bought it, that's a good chunk of change.

One other thing... rendering time is directly proportional to the pixel count, so I resize the TurboCAD window as small as possible (while still being able to work the program) to make the first render.  I then select Save As and specify which image format to use, setting the pixel sizes in Setup.  You can either set the workspace's display ratio by adjusting the TC program window and select View in Setup or you can just select All.  Be sure to remember that the Tile Area has to be an integer greater than the product of Height x Width / 1000000 or the rendered image will be screwed up.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 31, 2019, 04:32:39 PM
Jeff thanks for those tips they do make a substantial difference in render time for lw ar. 😀

Daz