TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Tip 3d printing interior or exterior features in part
Read 1936 times
* May 24, 2019, 08:17:34 AM
 I had parts with interior or exterior features what I did was add a chamfer or angle to the parts and it worked incredibly well . And I did not have to add supports. So if you have interior or exterior features on your part you can use this angle on the bottom of the feature and the 3d printer will print going out from the angle nice finish and no supports used. This worked fantastic!(see pic)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:40:26 AM by to »

May 24, 2019, 02:37:41 PM
I think I understand, but am not certain.  Would you please mark the images you are talking about?

Also, could you resize the images so that they fit on the screen?  Irfanview is a free photo viewer/editor that works very well for this sort of thing.  https://www.irfanview.com/

One more thing... your camera (smartphone?) should have a Closeup setting (often, the icon looks like a flower) that will work with the autofocus to provide sharper pictures.  There is usually a visual confirmation of focus lock.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 13, 2019, 07:39:33 AM
if you look at jpg030 there is an 45 degree angle on the bottom of the interior feature if you design the part with this angled feature there is no need for supports coming all the way  from the 3d printer table saving material and having to remove the supports. it works like a dream on any part with an interior or exterior feature off the main  object.The 3d printer builds outward from the angle and holds the feature dimensionally correct.

* July 08, 2019, 05:33:31 PM
I see what you did there. You are holding the part upside down and the little tab gradually builds out into the interior as the layers progress. Use whatever over hang angle you can get away with depending on the filament to start the feature lower then as if it just had a square bottom with support u see it to build off of. Good plan for designing new parts.

TC 14 pro.  TC 18, 21,22 pro platinum. 3 s10's and an s4. Creality Ender 5.