TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Problem Placint Cylinder on Face of Cube
Read 529 times
* May 05, 2019, 06:17:16 PM
Hi, guys.  I have TC 2018 Deluxe.  I'm trying to place a cylinder on the face of a cube.  Can't get to first base - which appears to be moving the reference point to the center of the cylinder base.

I created a cylinder using 3d Primitaves/Cylinder.  Select, cursor on Reference Point and hit "D".  Then move the "hand" to just outside the base of the cube and hit "C".  Get the message that the operation can't be completed because snap mode i active w/no snap points.  Get this message regardless of snap mode being on or off. 

From my readings, it seems I have to activate Degenerative Faceting.  However, when I look for "Options/Drawing Settings/ACIS", no ACIS is shown.

My drawing is very simple, solely for the purpose of learning how to do this operation - just a cube and a cylinder.

What am I missing?

* May 05, 2019, 07:02:22 PM
One way (assuming that the cylinder is already in the desired orientation):

1. Activate "Workplane by Facet" and select the cube face on which you want to place the cylinder.

2. Select the Point tool, using a Cross and being sure that "2D point" is enabled. Place the cursor on an edge of the cube and press E on the keyboard. This puts the cross on the center of the previously selected cube face.

3. Using the same technique, place a cross on the end face of the cylinder (the face that you want to attach to the cube).

4. Select the cylinder, press D on the keyboard, move the cursor to this new cross, and press V on the keyboard. This operation moves the Reference Point of the cylinder to the center of its end face.

5. While the cylinder is still selected, click (and release) on its yellow Reference Point to pick up the cylinder, move the cursor to the cross on the face of the cube, and press V on the keyboard. Done.

Henry H

May 06, 2019, 04:06:46 AM
I have TC 2018 Deluxe.  I'm trying to place a cylinder on the face of a cube.

I would go about this in either of two ways, depending on my mood.

Method 1 (Very precise placement)
1. Create Box (aka cube).
2. Place Point (Cross) on the Box facet where you want the Cylinder to end up.  If you want it in the center of the facet, move the point to the edge of the facet and tap the "e" key.  Note that, if you are snapping a 3D object to another 3D object, tapping the "e" key will snap to the physical center of the 3D object.  This is why you use the 2D object to snap to the center of a facet.
3. Place another Point on the World workplane (you will use that as the starting point to create the Cylinder).
4. Create the Cylinder, starting by V-snapping to the Point.
5. Select the Cylinder, press "d" to free the Reference Point and V-snap it to the Point created in step 3.
6. Select the Cylinder at its new Reference Point and V-snap it to the Point created in step 2.
7. Rotate as desired.

Method 2 (Faster, but not as precise)
1. Create the Box.
2. Create the Cylinder.
3. Find the Assembly by Facet command (its location will vary depending on which Workspace you have selected; it is commonly found under the Modify drop-down menu or the Modify / 3D sub-menu).
4. Select a facet of the Cylinder (doesn't matter which, because its ends are identical).
5. Select the destination facet on the Box.
6. Manually adjust the position of the Cylinder as desired.

Jeff

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:25:06 PM by Jeffin90620 »

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 06, 2019, 05:16:10 AM
Hello,

even faster.

Draw circle.
Draw rectangle
Extrude circle into the plus
Extrude rectangle into the minus

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very low knowledge of English - I ask for indulgence - Thanks
Currently installed
TurboCAD  Professional 32-bit V.17.2.77.1
TurboCAD 2016 ProPlatinum 64-bit V23.2-61.2 engl.
TurboCAD 2015 2D V.22.2.51.4
on Win 10.

* May 06, 2019, 05:35:41 AM
You can't set the refpoint to center of a cylinder, but you can draw a 3 point circle on it, and then set the cylinders refpoint to the center of the circle, if it's face to face sideways i would just use default E of cylinder to E on Box and move later back half the distance from edge to E on Box and also half heigth of cylinder in Z direction if it should be on top/ bottom of box.

Give thickness to a rectangle and circle is what some people in here call 2,5 D, but it's all about what you want to achive, and Deluxe is just surface anyway, aka 2,5 D.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* May 06, 2019, 08:26:35 AM
The way I would go about this is to draw a 3D Polyline across the middle edges of the Box. If the box hasn't been rotated, go to a side view that the 3D Polyline is on and use "Plane by Active View". Go back to an Isometric view and create the cylinder. Snap to the middle of the 3D Polyline and enter your values. To move the reference point to the cylinder end, use the middle of the 3D polyline as a snap point. Return to the "Previous WorkPlane" when finished.

If placing the cylinder on a top/bottom face, no need to change the workplane.
If the box is rotated in any way, use the "By Facet" workplane tool on the face where the 3D polyline is located.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:35:04 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 06, 2019, 08:32:24 AM
One way (assuming that the cylinder is already in the desired orientation):

1. Activate "Workplane by Facet" and select the cube face on which you want to place the cylinder.

2. Select the Point tool, using a Cross and being sure that "2D point" is enabled. Place the cursor on an edge of the cube and press E on the keyboard. This puts the cross on the center of the previously selected cube face.

3. Using the same technique, place a cross on the end face of the cylinder (the face that you want to attach to the cube).

4. Select the cylinder, press D on the keyboard, move the cursor to this new cross, and press V on the keyboard. This operation moves the Reference Point of the cylinder to the center of its end face.

5. While the cylinder is still selected, click (and release) on its yellow Reference Point to pick up the cylinder, move the cursor to the cross on the face of the cube, and press V on the keyboard. Done.

Henry H

This did the trick.  Only issue was, I rotated the cylinder to get access to the base - then couldn't get it lined up exactly when bringing the objects together.  Tried again (new cylinder) and just changed the view to access the base.  Bingo.

The practice drawing is for application on another drawng with an already drawn, complex, cylindrical object (that I'd like to avoid re-drawing) - so I don't have the option of the drawing-from-scratch techniques that were suggested.