TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

wall dimension
Read 581 times
* April 11, 2019, 09:01:39 PM
I think I am here to more complain than expect to find a fix.  Although I have been proved wrong many times.  Using the wall dimension tool which is pretty slick.  I hate the part where it measures to every side of an adjoining wall.  Would not be such a big deal but it looks like garbage as all those numbers trying to use same space.  I can explode and then delete all the wall width measurements but then the association is gone as well.  Not to mention I might was well just use the normal dimension tool and have what I want.  For a supposedly professional program I find it hard to believe full time drafts people would put up with some of the things TC offers but really is not good.
Not going to get into the finicky walls themselves.  In my mind in a past tc I thought there was options to control this very issue, it was either never there removed or  hidden well.  I have tried with styles and settings and have no luck getting this to work so it is clean and neat looking.

Reg
Pro Platinum 2017(current)
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19
TC pro 16.2 Architectural
Win 10 64 bit  16g DDR3 Intel i7 quad core

* April 12, 2019, 12:08:06 AM
You will need to go and adjust it in the Style to your like for each line before use it, or after is you want a special way for a spesific Project.
If the distance between 2 walls i.e. are to small. it will write the txt in same place, then you explode it and node edit 1 txt to a different location.
This is just how it works, the tool is very old, back to the days where they use elevation for Draw a second story in example and not move the workplane like we do today, if you take the wall you have in your example and lift it up a bit, the dimension txt will rotate 180 degree for that wall, 1 time explode will turn it correct again.
If you dont want the blue wall in your example to show in your dimension you need to break the link between this 2 wall's first.
I never link interior with exterior wall's, and this is one of the reasons for it :)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* April 19, 2019, 02:45:24 PM
You will need to go and adjust it in the Style to your like for each line before use it, or after is you want a special way for a spesific Project.
If the distance between 2 walls i.e. are to small. it will write the txt in same place, then you explode it and node edit 1 txt to a different location.
This is just how it works, the tool is very old, back to the days where they use elevation for Draw a second story in example and not move the workplane like we do today, if you take the wall you have in your example and lift it up a bit, the dimension txt will rotate 180 degree for that wall, 1 time explode will turn it correct again.
If you dont want the blue wall in your example to show in your dimension you need to break the link between this 2 wall's first.
I never link interior with exterior wall's, and this is one of the reasons for it :)

Torfinn

Thanks to Andy H I was able to get a copy of 2017 back and working.  So after getting things kind of back to how to how I like it I have been working with walls. Which seem to work much better in 2017 then tc21.  I was wondering if there is a setting to not link wall by default as it seem to be always turned on when I select a wall.  I have just started to test my methods of drawing without the link wall and have had much better results. 

Reg

Reg
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19

* April 19, 2019, 03:45:19 PM
It is possible i think in TC Explorer, but i dont believe it will stick, so next time you will need to do it again, not worth the time.
If you forget to untick the Link button you can select 2 walls and there will turn up a symbol down on Inspector bar that will let you Unlink them, be aware, it is not possible to link them again if you change your mind ;)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 19, 2019, 03:52:48 PM
It is possible i think in TC Explorer, but i dont believe it will stick, so next time you will need to do it again, not worth the time.
If you forget to untick the Link button you can select 2 walls and there will turn up a symbol down on Inspector bar that will let you Unlink them, be aware, it is not possible to link them again if you change your mind ;)

Torfinn

Thank you.  I kind of figured it out there was on way to keep link turned off.  But I did find you can link them again using either the T-intersection or join two lines tool.  when you use either tool after an unlink they will join and again be linked. 

Reg

Reg
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19

* April 19, 2019, 04:27:24 PM
They will be joined in corners i.e., but they are not linked, but do this matter as long as they clean corners, nope, the problem wit that system is that they like to kiss each others butt, and many times, at least i dont want that to happen, look stupid from top view on multi Component walls that i basically what i use.

Test to draw an L shape with wall tools in 3D, select one of them and the other one will turn blue, unlink them and try to use Join walls tool
T is 2D in my mind, maybe you only draw walls in 2D ??

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 19, 2019, 04:39:06 PM
Interesting, if set heigth of walls to 0, then use T, they will link again in corners, at lest with standard walls, maybe something similar can work with interior against exterior walls also.
And ofcourse set heigth again afterwards.

Torfinn
Edit:
It will also let the T relink the interior walls if selected in correct way.
It dont work with Component walls, but very easy to change to a adjusted standard wall, heigth at 0, do the links and then set back to Component walls with higth again, very nice :)

Full of hope i tested the kiss buttom walls also, change or draw as/to standard walls, drag it to correct place if needed, change back to Component and all look fine.
Save, close drawing, reopen drawing and the gay tendens was back :(

I have this in bug section too, but looks like everyone think it was just fine, i find it not fine at all that a woodwall go true a concrete fireprotection wall, but that is maybe just me ;):)

Torfinn
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:23:56 PM by Torfinn »

RedSDK enabled

* April 20, 2019, 05:23:11 PM
Maybe should start a new thread on this as kind of off original topic.  After seeing  your component walls got me thinking and reading.  I have so much issue with drawing say an 8" foundation wall and then showing a 4" framed wall inside.  As it works sometimes but often messes up when the walls are just so close they try to heal into one another.  I have just setup a component wall that does it all in one sweep.  I am quite excited about this.  I have seen the settings but did not see a reason to use them till now. Might have saved me a lot of grief.  Thank you for the insight.

Reg
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19

* April 20, 2019, 06:27:22 PM
There are issues with Component walls, 2-3 is not to bad, but my exteriors ar normally 5-7 so … :) (Max possible is 20 i believe)
The biggest issue is still the kiss my ... :)
The other is possible to work around, that said, next project will be with a standard wall and Multiline for 2D, aka top view/ plan to test the timescale and frustrationlevel, even if it seems a bit akward to me rigth now :)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 21, 2019, 07:35:40 AM
I understand. I have thought about going back to using the double line tool and forget about walls but the ability to insert doors and windows is so nice.  I just have to cheat when it comes to intersections that do not want to join nice or rather always join when I don't want them too.  Add double lines and boxes to make it look nice for printing.  I have not had to do a full set of drawings for a while. mostly my drawings are for renovations projects, and for getting permits so show what I have and what I am going to change.  I have seen a lot of drawings from others and expect mine to look as professional as any of them.  Gets frustrating when I spend more time trying to do one intersection then I have for most of the drawing.

Reg
TC 21 pro platnium
TC pro 19