TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

save 3d as 2d dxf
Read 551 times
* April 20, 2019, 03:30:27 PM
Hi,

I'm drawing a model plane in 3d. To cut the parts on my laser I need to save them as a 2d DXF. I toggled 3d to 2d and tried to save as dxf, but my laser software doesn't know what to do with it. If I draw the parts in 2d and save as DXF, all works as expected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joel

* April 20, 2019, 03:38:59 PM
Toggling 3D to 2D does not affect the 3D parts you've already drawn.

Henry H

* April 20, 2019, 04:01:53 PM
You dont say anything about version/ edition, Pro Platinum have Draft palette where you can get 2D of a 3D Object, but on a plane i will believe there is curves that need to be un folded and a Draft will not help with that, PP also have Unfold Face, so maybe that can do it for you.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* April 20, 2019, 06:22:19 PM
I have 2017 Pro Platinum. There are no curves on the Z axis. I will look for the function you mention and see if it does what I need. Sounds promising.

Thanks

* April 20, 2019, 08:38:37 PM
The Draft palette worked somewhat. I can make the 2d part and save it as a dxf but some some reason it still won't open in my laser software. It does open in  LibreOffice Draw, which it would not before. if I go and draw say a 2d circle and save it as a dxf, it opens fine in the laser software. It's really surprising to me I can't easily get form a 3d drawing to a 2d profile that's makes a compatible dxf drawing.

I could draw the parts in 2d then extrude them later to build the 3d model but some of the drawing tasks for me are easier in 3d, I do a lot of 3d modify using add and subtract. I'm sure there are ways to do it in 2d, but my limited experience is in the 3d workspace.

Attached is a sample part.

Joel

* April 20, 2019, 09:50:42 PM
Give the attached dxf file a go and see if the cnc software recognises it.  I don't have any cnc software, so I cannot test. 

The attached was done by using 'Section' tool. along with a couple of extra steps needed before saving to dxf...   One oddity, is that you part has faceted sides.  I don't know if this is by design.  i.e. whether it was necessary for the cnc machine.  But it looks like you exploded a circle or arcs before extruding.

On the point of drafting palette,  its was converting the 2d to lots of separate small lines (grouped), this may have been what upset the cnc software. 

### Edit ###  In addition to the section tool.  In 2017  you have the Extract edge / face tool.  using this on the top surface will produce an ACIS solid of zero thickness.  Exploding twice will leave two closed polylines.  These can then be selected and 'Saved-As' selected dxf.  Obviously I've still no idea if this will work with the cnc software.  ### End Edit ###

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:02:19 PM by Andy H »

* April 21, 2019, 07:42:05 AM
Hi Andy,

The DXF you generated works fine. I will try your steps.

This part was drawn as a 3D object. Started with a cylinder and built from there. I have also tried starting with 2D shapes and extruding them, either way I end up with faceted sides. What I do notice is, when  I draw 2D, the outline is smooth, circle, arcs, whatever. As soon as I do the extrude, the outline becomes faceted. This may just be from lack of knowledge on my part.

Your file demonstrates it can be done,  I will try both ways you mention and see how they work, maybe one will stand out as easier.

EDIT: Your mention of explode got me to go and do that on my DXF that won't load. After doing an explode, the DXF works fine and produces two continuous curves for the cutter software, looks just like the DXF you produced.

Thanks

Joel
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:51:16 AM by Joel »

* April 21, 2019, 07:52:06 AM
Looks like I 3 potential ways now to generate what I need, thanks for the help!!

Joel

* April 21, 2019, 10:00:12 AM
On the Draft metode you will need to work a bit more, as the cnc will not know what that draft is, and because it was a 3D object there will be a lot of lines over each other if you explode it, boring job to clean out in v 2018, 2019 have tools that by system should fix it.
So i use the Hatch on it, normally in the part itself, but on this one that was not possible, henche using Hatch afterwards, see Attached

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* April 21, 2019, 02:27:58 PM
I did not have the problem with the draft method you mentioned. I open the draft palette, select the former in the work space, select plan view, drag a copy onto the work space. Select the copy and explode it once, then save the section as DXF. If there are artifacts left, my cutter software is not bothered by them. It shows and cuts the part as a continuous path, outer and inner loops.

What I do notice is that once I do the explode, the part is now many disassociated segments which seems odd. If I open the DXF file in TC, I cannot select is as a single part, it is now made up of many many segments.

Seems like there are many nuances I need to learn, but for now I have working methods to get from the 3D parts to 2D DXF I can cut. I still need to play with each and see if one has the advantage.

* April 21, 2019, 07:45:55 PM
I've now tried the extract face method and draft method. In the end, I come out with a DXF from both that works fine with my cutter.

What I notice,

With the draft method, I explode once and it's good. The exploded part is many segments. Selecting all and making a group works fine for moving the part around later.

With the extract face method, I have to explode twice. The exploded parts is the internal shape and external shape as separate selections. Again, just group them and it's fine.

One oddity I notice, when I add nomenclature to the former as a TCW file, the text is offset when I convert to a DXF. If I add the text to the part as a DXF file, it stays in the correct location. I also noticed this when I made the control panel for my laser. I drew the panel in 2D and added test on a separate layer. When I created the DXF, the text was all offset. If I add the text to the DXF file as a separate layer, it works fine.

Thanks again, I can now continue making parts in 3D.

Joel

* April 22, 2019, 01:32:52 AM
I did not have the problem with the draft method you mentioned. I open the draft palette, select the former in the work space, select plan view, drag a copy onto the work space. …………...

I dont have issues with it :), but i do know that sometimes ( most of the times with my use ) there are a bunch of extra lines under the lines you can see, thats why i also showed that you can explode and make a brush that can be exploded and then use the single polyline for saving as dxf.
And you also dont need to make Group out of it later, but guess the amount of work/ timeuse is about the same.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled