TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Weekly changes in TC behavior
Read 888 times
* February 19, 2019, 05:40:51 AM
Can anyone explain to me why I seem to have weekly changes in how TC behaves.  For example when using the edit tool, the method I have to utilize to select a node seems is different this week then it one last week. Also the options available in the edit tool frequently change.  I have scoured the documentation files on how this tools works and as you all know the documentation is pretty sparse. My time is important and when I need to figure out how to keep the software, or me, from changing some random setting that costs me hours trying to figure out why things are different.

* February 19, 2019, 05:55:01 AM
The tool should work in the same way, but it can be placed different depending on the cfg (UI)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* February 19, 2019, 07:24:07 AM
Not sure what you mean by options changing but.

The edit tool options (inspection bar icons or right click menu) change depending on the which 2d object is being selected, various options will be greyed out depending on whether its a open or closed object, and polyline options, circle options and spline are all different.

I assume by 'select a node' we are talking 2d objects, I can't say I've noticed a problem, though occasionally I've had to drag a selection window around a node to highlight the correct one. instead of simply clicking it to select it. 

* February 19, 2019, 06:09:16 PM
Andy,  having to drag a selection bracket  to select a node is only one of the changes, but that is definitely a new thing for me.  Additionally the node filter option randomly get selected.   Another behavioral change is when adding a node, or I should when trying to add nodes, It doesn't work 9 out of 10 times.  All the icon indicators show up but no node is added.  I've tried adding nodes using both Ctr-click and from the menu and nothing appears.   

* February 20, 2019, 03:05:12 AM
Unfortunately I don't have 2018 deluxe, so I am only guessing, but.  Just one thought.  If you are trying to add nodes to a spline that is set to 'fit points',  it doesn't work.  Been that way for years.  A spline needs to be in 'control point' mode. 

That said, on an open spline in 'fit point' mode, Add Knot may work to add a node. 

* February 20, 2019, 05:04:40 AM
This weird add node behavior is similar on all types of TC elements.  Interestingly, the next morning after starting this post,  the edit mode functions now work differently again.  Without changing any settings, opening the exact same file as I was working the other day, selecting, modifying and add/delete node functions all work as they originally did. A behavior I have not seen in over a month.

Being a programmer for 30 years, I have never seen an application, even in development that changes it's operating characteristics as randomly at this one.  I really would like to figure out the cause of these weirdness's, and I'll admit I only I have about 2000 hours of experience with this application, but I struggle with the numerous behavioral oddities just about every day.

I have searched for a technical description of the software data structure, properties and constraints so I can understand some of these problems, but have had no luck.

Anyway thanks for the replies.   

* February 20, 2019, 06:25:40 AM
Odd behavier like that can be because something hang in your system, but it seems like you have shut down TC and open it again.
Have you checked the Place you save your drawing if there is a .dwl file there ( when drawing is NOT open) with same name as the drawing, it is only added .dwl to it in the end, in case delete it.
Else a Repair of TC is a simple task
Or delete the Built-in, but that can sometimes also affect materials
TC should be closed in all this cases before doing it.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* February 21, 2019, 05:34:37 AM
Torfinn,  closing the application and reopening does in fact correct some of the strange behaviors, but not this edit tool one.   It does work with another common problem I have in which I often cannot select new composite objects following a 3D subtract or slice operations. 

At any rate, I have done all the recommended fixes, deleting the build folder, resetting the configuration to default, repairing the application install, and even a complete fresh install.  Which all seem to fix issues on a short term basis, but they always come back.

* February 21, 2019, 06:24:30 AM
If i have issues that dont want to go away, i close TC, delete the Built.in and then close PC, wait 10-15 sec and start PC and TC, load cfg/ template etc. and so far it have worked.
It's important to not just do a re-start, as that will not clean the memory.

And i assume you also did look for .dwl's

Un/ Re- install is normally just waist of time as there are so much leftovers

In like
C:\ Users\ User\ Document\ … your TC version
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\ … your TC version
you will have it stored, so take out what files and folders you want to keep from there and then delete the rest wil give you a "clean" install of TC.

Close and open pc again before start TC

But again, be aware as drawings, cfg(UI), symbols. materials etc. etc. are in the places you should delete, so make sure to take out the keepers first.

And hopefully by that you will get rid of what cause your issues, and can move back the files/ folders you did take out  to see if it's ok

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* February 21, 2019, 03:56:54 PM
Another behavioral change is when adding a node, or I should when trying to add nodes, It doesn't work 9 out of 10 times.  All the icon indicators show up but no node is added.  I've tried adding nodes .... and nothing appears.

SNAPS >> To add a Node, Turn OFF snaps ...if snaps is activated, then no Node will be added.
The above method is relevant in all previous TC versions.

Cheers
Mike

* February 21, 2019, 07:59:56 PM
Snaps was my first thought too.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* February 22, 2019, 03:30:22 AM
"""
The above method is relevant in all previous TC versions.

Cheers
Mike
[/quote]

Not on my Versions, i never use running snaps, but tested in v 2017 and v 2018, no problem to add nodes by ctrl or by local menu by rigthclick.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled