TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Simple Animation
Read 2214 times
* February 11, 2019, 04:51:54 PM
Heres a simple animation that Im hoping to use as the basis for a demo to my ship build which is going well, more on this later. The key point is that this animation would serve as the basis only for an introduction and video to the ship design, this is just a test case to understand what and if any limitations there are.

The frames to each hemisphere would be wrapped with promo images from Turbocad 2018PP and include Lightworks, AnimationLab and any other imsi tools used in the design of the ship.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

February 12, 2019, 12:40:50 AM
Daz,

yes, a promising idea.  So looking forward to the finished article.   8)

I know this is only a trial, but, the motion appears a little jerky to me.
I would suggest, when an inner cup reaches its limit of rotation, that you try continuing the rotation until it's no longer visible and, start the rotation of the next cup maybe one frame earlier.
Just a few thoughts.

Have a great day.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* February 12, 2019, 01:44:43 AM
Tim its those little tips that will make this a good demo video, so thanks. If I havent thanked Andy and yourself for putting together those pdf & chm help files then thanks to you both. While its been some time since I last used anilab, I got his happening in quick time thanks to the help files! ;D

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

February 12, 2019, 01:53:12 AM
    You're welcome.

Regards Tim

Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* February 12, 2019, 02:10:24 AM
Nicely done Darryl.   looking forward to seeing it with materials applied.  One thing I would suggest, is being careful with lighting,  in that I'd avoid any shiny spots when there is text in a material.

* February 12, 2019, 09:15:23 PM
Andy lighting will be my biggest challenge with the complete design, to give you just an idea I want to zoom around the upperdeck with a camera view then subsequently travel each deck from bow to stern covering all spaces including engineering.

Daz

* February 22, 2019, 08:21:34 PM
Heres another simple animation based on a hollow series of boxes with some objects inside and some side walls with different materials added ( thanks to John R, much appreciated! ). The purpose of the animation is to understand what Im gunna be dealing with once Ive got the ship design complete. So this simple animation is to learn more about the camera and follow by a spline path and how to control it better, Ive got it animating but not showing the view as it travels through the hollow boxes. What did I get wrong?

Daz

* February 22, 2019, 08:24:48 PM
Has anyone ever created a light object that represents something like a torch, where the torch can be used in an animation as lighting. I could use maybe many luminance object within the ship design but just dont enough about that yet.

Daz

* February 23, 2019, 06:15:16 AM
Ive got it animating but not showing the view as it travels through the hollow boxes. What did I get wrong?

HI Darryl.   You need to orientate the camera correctly at the start of the path.  What I would suggest is, using normal views (worldplan etc (NOT the camera view)),  put the camera at the start of the path, and rotate it so that its +z direction is exactly in line with the path.  Next record a single Keyframe for the camera at frame '0'.   This will force the camera to orientate correctly before your animation starts. 

Basically what is happening now, is, the camera is following the path correctly, but  based on its initial orientation, Follow-by-path only orientates an object from its initial state as the path bends.  it doesn't set the start orientation of the object, that's up to the user  :)

Has anyone ever created a light object that represents something like a torch, where the torch can be used in an animation as lighting. I could use maybe many luminance object within the ship design but just dont enough about that yet.

A few ways to do this.  My first preference would be to use a second path, make a copy of the path and move it upwards or downwards a bit, like holding a torch in ones hand,  and create a small objects like a sphere, with luminance and move that along the second path.  Basically, the camera is ones eye (in perspective mode), if you had a torch and held at against ones eye, you wouldn't see anything, same with AL.  My preference for a second path, is that one could slightly vary the objects path, independent of the camera, if one was not satisfied with the animation.

Alternatives. - using the same path as the camera.   The first alternative would be have the object orientated correctly on the path, then move it above the path.  Pick up the ref point, and put the reference point at the start on the path.  Follow-by-path moves the ref point, so the object will stay whatever fixed distance away from the camera as you have put it.  This is pretty much exactly the same as a 'head torch' would be if you always looked dead straight ahead, and moved your head rather than your eyes. 

Another alternative would be to play around with the object luminance tick box 'load for luminance only'.  In theory this should allow placing the object at the same start point as the camera, but the camera will not see the object, only the luminance emanating from it.  I say in theory, as I've had mixed results with sometimes the luminance not showing correctly, But I am using RedSDK so maybe lightworks is better.

Andy

## Edit ##.  Using normal lights instead of Luminance,  Much easier but with slightly less control over some settings

Although my preference would be luminance,  you can get a similar effect from standard lights.   In design director, click the word lights (in the top half of DD), right click  and choose properties, in the dialog, click Reset default).  close dialog, in DD, turn off all lights except Headlight, In DD, click the headlight colour and set it to, say , value = 30. click ok.   Turn on spot light, and set visibility.   Place and orientate the spotlight at the start of the spline, check in draft render it looks ok.  In AL,  make the spotlight an actor and copy / paste the command from the camera onto the light. 

Back in TC select the spotlight, right click - properties, and play around.  Try something like Fall-off = Linear,  Light Power = 5, Cone = 20, Umbra = 2.  but its trial and error to see what looks OK, as lighting in draft render will look different to quality (in draft render power may need to 100), so depends on what mode one is testing in. (Obviously quality render will be slow).  And obviously without materials the 'shinyness' of the light an object will be far different than with materials. 

## End Edit ##

Andy

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:04:45 AM by Andy H »

February 23, 2019, 09:34:46 AM
Hi Daz,

just by the orienting the camera, as Andy suggested, gave me the following (see attached). 
Rendered in draft mode using 35° perspective.

Regards Tim

* February 23, 2019, 03:06:31 PM
Thank you Andy and Tim as usual, Its always just the finer points that I need tips on. ;D

Daz

* February 23, 2019, 03:41:27 PM
Mine is still not right, where am I going wrong?

Daz

* February 23, 2019, 04:18:32 PM
Andy & Tim, I must be missing a step as Ive got something wrong. Dont assume that I follow everything youve said correctly so can I suggest that you give me discrete instructions for every step to animate it like Tims posted gif.

What I did was
1. Switch to world plan
2. Orient the camera like Andy said by setting the Camera object to the start of the spline path manually inside TC with the camera pointing in the Z direction.
3. I then set the camera to the start of the spline path within Anilab.
4. I then setAnilab to script editor mode with the command to: from 0 to 1 CamerLookByPath Param-1 0, Param 2 to 0, Param 3 to 0. Other anilab commands are unchanged.
5. Checked the perspective view and set the view angle to 35 degrees

I presume that I should be using the main window HollowSolidFollowbyPath.tcw, not the HollowSolidFollowbyPath.tcw Camera1 as the view?

But I still get the screen view with the objects moving around not the view like Tims post, so what have I got wrong or have I missed a step?

Daz

* February 23, 2019, 06:24:37 PM
Your almost there Darryl.  Just a bit of tweaking needed.

4. I then setAnilab to script editor mode with the command to: from 0 to 1 CamerLookByPath Param-1 0, Param 2 to 0, Param 3 to 0. Other anilab commands are unchanged.

Hmm.  I was going to ask, Why.  :) .  But that's a bit unfair.  There is no need for CameraLookByPath when the camera is actually on the path and following it.  Indeed it will only serve to confuse AL.

I presume that I should be using the main window HollowSolidFollowbyPath.tcw, not the HollowSolidFollowbyPath.tcw Camera1 as the view?

You need to be in the camera1 window with the camera perspective on (which you have), that way you are seeing exactly what the camera sees as it follows the path.  I'd suggest draft render for testing.

I was going to post the file back.  But....  when I tried to add a spotlight as a torch using lightworks draft render. TC crashed.  So Sorry,  but I'm going to stick with RedSDK for animations. Far quicker, and less prone to problems for me.  No doubt yourself and Tim have better luck with lightworks than I do.  I've posted a pic of the keyframe and command boxes.

* February 23, 2019, 09:47:24 PM
Posting a new file as the previous one became corrupted. Im using AniLab V5 File Version: 5. 1. 0. 16 and TCW 2018pp. Cant create a mobile camera as the AL menu commands are greyed out constantly.

For something so simple like this animation or at least it should be but I keep getting crappy results.  So these are the steps to reproduce from my side:

1. In AL add the spline actor
2. Insert a camera object by
   Camera by View
   On a Normal to View
   In Parallel to view
   Or by 2 points?
 Is this camera object  checked to a particular window by Camera properties or just leave it alone?
3. In AL add the camera actor
4. Create a new window.
5. Select the new window
6. Set the new window cameras perspective to 35 degrees.
   I presume the main window which is not tied to the camera has no perspective set?
7. Add the AL code:
   Keyframes: Frame 0 (Zero) to the camera
   Scenario script AniLab Commands
   5 100 FollowByPath Spline 0 100 0
   5 100 CameraLookByPath Spline 0 100 0
8. Attach the Camera object to the spline by vertex snap.
9. Do I stay in the Camera window?
10. Assuming that I stay in the Camera window with the perspective set, what else do I need to do?

After step 9, I just run AL but it never shows the result like Tims gif file, all I get is differing animated views but it never shows the animated camera path inside the boxes.
Any ideas why?

When and if should I render in draft mode and in which window before I run AL?

Referring to FrameOptions.png image With Options Frames Rendering Ive never been able to create a rendered output from here, Ive always had to set the render type from within TC 1st. Should AL make the rendered bmp if this option is set?

Referring to the AnilabTest.png image if Im inside tcw Window 2 and then run AL should I get the right results like Tims gif showing the perspective view?  Or do I need to set a particular render view before I run the AL script?

Daz

February 24, 2019, 12:38:00 AM
Ah, we appear to be getting our knickers in a twist!  ;D

All I did was to use the MobileCamera, within AnimationLab, to follow the Path, once I had located it, as Andy previously suggested, using one keyframe to save the beginning position.

Before animating, I switched to the right-hand view, changed to perspective set at 35°, rendered and then ran the animation.

For using an Inserted Camera object, refer to Andy's help file again:-

http://www.woodturningcad.co.uk/AnimLab_2018_v1_02.pdf

as this gives the best reference guide, IMHO.

Within AnimationLab, under Options/Frames/Rendering, I usually leave the choices as Default. 
I prefer to set the rendering within TurboCAD.

Have fun!

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:07:21 AM by Tim Stewart »

* February 24, 2019, 02:11:02 AM
Just a little confusing Tim, did you use a mobile camera?
Did Andy use a camera?
If you used a mobile camera how did you add the mobile camera firstly?
As I cant select a mobile camera from AL, it seems as if you have to insert a camera from tcw and then convert it to a mobile camera only.
Point is if thats how its done then you need to set the perspective and align the camera with the spline path, but once thats done you cant change it to a mobile camera in AL. Step by step if you could please!

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 03:10:12 AM
HI Darryl.  I used the camera you had inserted.  But as Tim states there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the cameras. 

First note - DO NOT use any of the Camera commands within Al when using an inserted camera. these commands operate on the Mobile camera, which is essentially the main system camera.   The system camera takes precedence over an inserted camera, and if camera commands are used, it will mess up the animation.   You could of course delete the inserted camera, and you will them be able to add a  'Mobile camera'.  but you are so close, I'd stick with what you have already achieved.

Second note - If the inserted camera is altered in any way after recording the first keyframe. One MUST re-record that first key frame.

OK.   Using your latest file. 

1.  Open the file (downloaded from the forum).  don't bother if it doesn't open properly with the correct view, its still open.
2.  Window menu - switch to Animlab Test Isometric SE
3.  Delete the camera command CameraLookByPath.
4.  Rotate the camera slightly, so it is aligned with the path.
5.  Re-record the first keyframe.  (Select keyframe and click the record button)
6.  Switch to Window Animlab Test Camera_1
7.  Draft render in TC.   (it may tell you to add lights)
8.  Play scenario
9.  It will work.  :o  :)

Andy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:22:17 AM by Andy H »

February 24, 2019, 03:14:53 AM
Hi Daz,

firstly, it's very easy to get confused between the 2 available camera types.
MobileCamera is a default camera, built-in to AnimationLab. (see attached)
You choose it as an actor and select the AnimationLab commands to manipulate it, as you so desire.

An Inserted Camera is created in TurboCAD and again selected and used as an actor. 
This type allows you to view what the camera object 'sees' in a separate window.
Animation is better achieved (more reliably) by using the Key Frames Editor and/or a custom script.

Both types have their advantages, depending on the complexity required.  Or, your personal preferences.
Do not try to use both types in the same Animation!

I hope this helps?

Regards Tim

February 24, 2019, 03:21:04 AM
Hi Andy,

I think that just about covers it!   ;D

Regards Tim

* February 24, 2019, 03:27:56 AM
Hi Andy,

I think that just about covers it!   ;D

Regards Tim

Hopefully  :) .  Personally, I wish they had greyed out the camera commands when an inserted camera is used.  it would avoid confusion.

February 24, 2019, 03:32:24 AM
Yes, excellent idea! 

Even I get confused, when I haven't used the programme for a while. 
Perhaps something for the wish list?

Regards Tim

* February 24, 2019, 02:17:02 PM
Andy & Tim so thanks for your patience and responses as mine is not so good atm as this is just so frustrating by trying to get the same results. In the following images youll see that mine is setup exactly as is yours but I get strange results and I still dont understand why.

I assume that you render in tcw and when you do your currently rendering by the AnilabTest.tcw Right Camera_1 view?
see AnilabTest.tcw Right Camera_1.png
see KeyFrames.png is set at position 0 for the camera.
Included AnilabTest.tcw WorldPlan.png for reference.

What I get is the in the posted gif.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
So Im reposting my source file to see whats wrong, hopefully we can get this right as the whole ship design is coming along extremely well and Im excited about what I can do with the presentation but atm AL is foiling my plans.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 02:28:00 PM
Darryl.   Did you happen to see the steps 1 to 9, in post 17 above. 

Andy

* February 24, 2019, 02:33:52 PM
Yes Andy I did review them, but I chose to have another go since mine is almost the same process. I could have just downloaded Tims file but I must learn the underlying reason why you guys get it right and I get it sooo wrong every time.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 02:35:32 PM
Andy:
First note - DO NOT use any of the Camera commands within Al when using an inserted camera. these commands operate on the Mobile camera, which is essentially the main system camera.   The system camera takes precedence over an inserted camera, and if camera commands are used, it will mess up the animation.   You could of course delete the inserted camera, and you will them be able to add a  'Mobile camera'.  but you are so close, I'd stick with what you have already achieved.

"using an inserted camera", is that the tcw camera?
"these commands operate on the Mobile camera, which is essentially the main system camera." is that tcw camera?
"The system camera" is that tcw camera?
"takes precedence over an inserted camera" is that an  AL mobile camera
By System camera I presume you mean tcw system camera?

Apologies for not understanding but this needs clarifying the way I see it with references to cameras but not sure which camera your reffering to.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 02:40:25 PM
Andy I prefer to work offline due to bad thunderstorms and lightning atm so I will return in less than 1 hour.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 02:58:19 PM
Ah, we appear to be getting our knickers in a twist!  ;D

All I did was to use the MobileCamera, within AnimationLab, to follow the Path, once I had located it, as Andy previously suggested, using one keyframe to save the beginning position.

Before animating, I switched to the right-hand view, changed to perspective set at 35°, rendered and then ran the animation.

For using an Inserted Camera object, refer to Andy's help file again:-

http://www.woodturningcad.co.uk/AnimLab_2018_v1_02.pdf

as this gives the best reference guide, IMHO.

Within AnimationLab, under Options/Frames/Rendering, I usually leave the choices as Default. 
I prefer to set the rendering within TurboCAD.

Have fun!

Regards Tim

Just downloaded and tested Tims HollowSolidFollowbyPath v 2016.tcw file and its got only one window with no camera window at all?

Tim did you forget to add the 2nd camera window, if not then I just tested it and it does not show a camera view?

And your file I just dloaded has got only 1 command in the AL Scenario Script editor window, whereas my posted examples have two commands in the Scenario Script editor and one in the Keyframes Editor?

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 04:06:43 PM
## Edited ##

Going to re-type the reply. to try and make it sound easier to understand.

## End Edit ##
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:59:33 PM by Andy H »

* February 24, 2019, 06:18:10 PM
Daz, try this .
delete the tC camera object > stay away from tC cameras  ;D
insert a mobile camera (anilab)
set the camera with anilabs> path > follow by path and use the spline as the path
create and save  a perspective view approximately where the animation will start
run the animation.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* February 24, 2019, 09:46:04 PM
Dean did as you said and still no good result.
To insert a mobile camera you gotta insert a tcw camera 1st, then place on the world plan.
Then create a 2nd window and set it to right view with perspective at 35°, then select the camera.
Then go AL and Click the create actor and hold down the menu option to see the mobile camera menu.
Set the AL commands as per previous.

I had to check the Camera in Design Director to active before I see anything from the AL animation, otherwise I get nothing at all.

Guys can I be a PITA and ask for each discrete step and not overlook any action, click in any window or change to any window. As what you guys get and what Im getting is so far apart.

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 09:49:24 PM
Just wondering if one of you guys could make a quick video?
Best to grab my AniLabTest file with the basic objects and go from there, that way I can compare what you do on screen and compare it with my side. Thanks

Daz

* February 24, 2019, 09:50:51 PM
Andy, Dean & Tim what version of AniLab are you using?

Daz

February 25, 2019, 01:24:49 AM
So Im reposting my source file to see whats wrong, hopefully we can get this right as the whole ship design is coming along extremely well and Im excited about what I can do with the presentation but atm AL is foiling my plans.

Daz, looking at your file. 
Once your camera is located on the end of the spline (the path), you only need one command to follow the spline.  (See attached)
Look at it this way - as the camera is oriented and is following the spline (the path) you do not need it (the camera) to also look at the path. 
Essentially, the camera is already looking at the path.
Does that make sense?
Just remove that command and run your Animation.
It should now work.

Regards Tim

* February 25, 2019, 01:36:35 PM
Tim your bloody marvelous, your magic worked! Im so happy that I got it to work and with yours, Andys & Deans help as well. So thanks guys so much.    ;D ::)
Now using the built in AniLab Mobile Camera and its not set to active (read NOT checked in Design Director Camera (1) properties).

Just need some minor improvements, on my side I did a test in draft mode and I notice that when draft rendered and run from AL the camera is offset from the target path, it does meet the path after the 1st left turn but any turn to the right its offset again. Do I or should I set the target points for the camera?
see the gif.

Daz

* February 26, 2019, 10:41:11 AM
Daz,
Like I said before don't use Turbo camera object  :P Delete it and also delete any extra windows you may have created by choosing windows tile.
Then simply do what I said before.
you should achieve good results with anilb mobile camera following your path.
> keep it simple  ;D

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

February 26, 2019, 11:29:08 AM
Daz,

looking at your latest file attachment, if you zoom in, you can see that the camera Z axis is not quite aligned with the path. 
This may upset the motion of the camera (a guess). 
Better smoothness might be obtained by using a less curved path.
You might try a straight line to the each corner, with a uniform arc as the path makes it's turn. 
Any non-uniform motion, for the camera. can be animated by rotating the camera at various points on the path, using AL commands.
Have a play!

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:30:40 AM by Tim Stewart »

* February 26, 2019, 06:29:01 PM
Dean so I havent tried yet your suggestion yet but was wondering if you'd get the right resulting view ( view from the right side ) if I tried that with just a single window thats in world view?

Point taken re camera just using mobile camera only so thanks for that.

Daz

* February 26, 2019, 06:34:13 PM
Tim understand your point of view, I just placed the camera then zoomed in a little and then placed the z axis with a nearest on graphic seek command.

What about my post above with set the target camera position. Will test a revised animation later today.

Daz

* February 26, 2019, 10:48:57 PM
AnimationLab V5 works fine, Dean, Andy & Tim thanks for all your tips. Dean you nailed it, just using 1 window now and thats the Front view, if ya notice a gap from the 1st to the 2nd frame its because I set the mobile camera in the script editor first at position 1 then in the Scenario editor set the followbypath from 2 to 50.

Daz

* February 26, 2019, 11:10:09 PM
Now I can move ahead with confidence that all the work Ive done to date can now be animated using AniLab. Fantastic  :o

Daz

* March 02, 2019, 07:25:57 AM
Just wondering if one of you guys could make a quick video?

A little late (been busy)…  video a bit too long, and probably boring. but you did ask for it  ;D 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvlXEPAV6oY

Andy

* March 02, 2019, 02:23:17 PM
Thanks Andy Im sure that theres little things I will learn along the way with your video, better late than never at all. Gotta love ya accent cos its gunna take me a couple of goes to understand your video clearly. :D

Daz

* March 11, 2019, 05:28:01 PM
Andy just watched your video on the camera commands and thats top help indeed. Now theres no reason why I cant put together a video with all aspects of the fremantle boat design from outside when viewed from the rhib ( inflatable boat ) zooming around, loaded and unloaded by a crane, upperdeck walk around and all internal spaces with some cool lighting effects. Thanks so much youve been a terrific help with your time and patience.  ;D

Daz