TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Assembly question...
Read 914 times
* January 24, 2019, 04:08:00 PM
When doing an isometric assembly using 3 points, facet etc., do the objects need to be on the same workplane? I am asking because it seems kind of hit and miss sometimes for me. In 3 point I get some really strange moves when all the points seem to correspond correctly... yet on finish the part moves to an unexpected position. I am probably doing something wrong......

Pro Platinum 2019
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA Quadro P1000

* January 24, 2019, 04:41:25 PM
Parts being assembled do NOT need to be on the same Workplane.

Henry H

* January 24, 2019, 04:42:10 PM
When doing an isometric assembly using 3 points, facet etc., do the objects need to be on the same workplane?

3D objects are possibly rarely on the same workplane,  unless you are careful to draw every 3d object on the world workplane and then move it.

What problem are you having?

For me, assemble by 3 points is the most useful, though I don't often need all three (one can use, one, two or three).  The others, by facet is occasionally useful for quickly moving & rotating an objects facet onto another object,  if I'm not bothered where abouts on the facet the object is, (handy for when the facets are angled).  edge and point I don't use, 

* January 24, 2019, 06:12:48 PM
I'm an advocate of Generic Transformation over assembly tools if you're using Pro.  It works like assembly by one (essentially a vector transform), two (analogous to assembly by point and edge) or three points and can do so with multiple objects at once rather than assembly's one-at-a-time insistence.  It also rubber-bands the part being moved, swings it about in space so you can check its progressive alignment visually, and has provision to "keep original" so it's a copy tool too.  It's also in the context/right-click/inspector bar menu when you select the piece to be aligned in recent versions, so you don't have to search out the modify item or differentiate the assembly mode.   

* January 25, 2019, 06:16:58 PM
When doing an isometric assembly using 3 points, facet etc., do the objects need to be on the same workplane?

3D objects are possibly rarely on the same workplane,  unless you are careful to draw every 3d object on the world workplane and then move it.

What problem are you having?

For me, assemble by 3 points is the most useful, though I don't often need all three (one can use, one, two or three).  The others, by facet is occasionally useful for quickly moving & rotating an objects facet onto another object,  if I'm not bothered where abouts on the facet the object is, (handy for when the facets are angled).  edge and point I don't use,

I would say that about 30% of the time the part being moved ends up at a crazy skewed position that does not line up to the points??? 

Pro Platinum 2019
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA Quadro P1000

* January 25, 2019, 06:28:25 PM

I would say that about 30% of the time the part being moved ends up at a crazy skewed position that does not line up to the points???

What kinds of parts are you assembling? Any other info you can provide will help us to help you.

Henry H

* January 25, 2019, 07:15:10 PM
I am a new user so the drawings are not extremely complicated. I have drawn up a simple 3D of a jewelry box that I am designing. A simple box with 4 sides (mitered), a top frame with a panel some dividers etc. Nothing elaborate at all. As much trouble I have had with the workplane concept, I am sure it has to do with something there

Pro Platinum 2019
Windows 10
NVIDIA Quadro P1000

* January 26, 2019, 09:10:45 AM
I am a new user so the drawings are not extremely complicated. I have drawn up a simple 3D of a jewelry box that I am designing. A simple box with 4 sides (mitered), a top frame with a panel some dividers etc. Nothing elaborate at all. As much trouble I have had with the workplane concept, I am sure it has to do with something there

I really don't think this is a Workplane issue. And it sounds as if Assemble by 3 Points should work. Be sure to follow the instructions that appear at the lower left of your screen after activating the tool. For your project, it seems likely that specific vertices (corners) of the objects being assembled should be the "source points" and "destination points," so to define each of these points place the cursor on the appropriate corner and press V on the keyboard.

Henry H