TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Help converting from SolidWorks to .tcw
Read 733 times
* January 25, 2019, 01:16:12 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone have the capability to translate this from Solidworks to TurboCad format?

Its a 3D model of a vise stop identical to the one on my Kurt Mill vise.

Thanks in advance,

JoeM

January 25, 2019, 02:05:19 PM
Here is a STEP file. I didn't know what version of TC you have, but this should open in TC.

January 26, 2019, 12:33:40 AM
GRABCAD Workbench claims the ability to transfer back and forth.  I believe it's free.

https://workbench.grabcad.com/downloadworkbench

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

January 26, 2019, 06:27:22 AM
GRABCAD Workbench claims the ability to transfer back and forth.  I believe it's free.

https://workbench.grabcad.com/downloadworkbench

Jeff

I use GrabCAD Workbench which I consider a great product for drawing management, if you have others on your team that collaborate on models / drawings, etc., or if you share files with others, like vendors, etc.. Yes, you can download your uploaded SW files as STEP files, but that requires you to create an account, to sync your local folders with the cloud and doing that conversion from the cloud. Might be worth doing if this is something one needed to often, or even semi-often. Note that it is not something you can do with the desktop app that downloads from Jeff's link. The desktop app is just to help facilitating the syncing with the cloud process.

EDIT: I just tried to download conversion on two simple SW parts on Workbench and both failed. I had never used this because I have not needed to but I just tried a couple simple sw parts and both failed. Obviously not a real option.

EDIT 2: I just did a test with downloading a SW assembly drawing as a STEP and it it did work. Go figure. I guess one's mileage going this route will vary.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:42:22 AM by Don Cheke »

* January 26, 2019, 12:39:58 PM
SharkCAD Pro, a program that's now under the same ownership as TC, has translators for SW, CATIA 4 & 5, Pro/E, Solid Edge, NX and Parasolid.  I needed some translation a few years ago and at the time, maybe 10-15 years back, IMSI was offering a translator for some of those in and out of TC - for USD1000.  Ouch.  Shark is a premium version of TC Mac that's also PC.  Files exchange with TC Mac with a change of attachment, but some of the high-end translators don't work with Shark on Mac.    The Shark/TC Mac file extension exchange thing also works with Vellum Cobalt, too, if anyone still works with that.   
Exchange between TC and Shark covers .dwg, .sat, .stp and iges.

Interestingly, the .step file is a little smaller converted with it than Don's.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:56:34 PM by murray dickinson »

* January 28, 2019, 05:57:21 AM
Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the help and advice.

JoeM