TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Slicing with a lofted surface
Read 1242 times
* January 12, 2019, 09:29:52 PM
Does anyone here know how to slice a solid with a lofted surface. I have tried both with the loft as a surface and as a solid. The odd thing is that occasionally it will work (as a solid) then most often not.  What I am doing is using TC to design a boat hull. I can get good hull surfaces but need the hull to slice solids to create frames and bulkheads
Any help is appreciated
Cheers
Michael C 

* January 13, 2019, 12:49:57 AM
Which version are you using?

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* January 13, 2019, 01:56:12 AM
The usual reason for failure is that the surface must overlap the solid, ie if you subtract the solid from the surface, it must leave the complete perimeter edge of the surface with no gaps. 

* January 13, 2019, 02:03:38 AM
Examples of slicing using an ACIS surface (not a TC surface).  Blue is the boat hull surface, Black are solid boxes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:12:17 AM by Andy H »

* January 13, 2019, 02:18:38 AM
I am using TC 2017 with Windows 10.   I will send some images tomorrow  to show what I am attempting to do and ain't working
Thanks
M

* January 13, 2019, 09:15:06 AM
The loft profiles must be open.

Henry H

* January 13, 2019, 06:03:54 PM
I send a simple example.  What I need to do is have the lofted part slice or subtract the beam such that part of the beam (outside the hull) can be deleted leaving the portion inside the hull in place. This is essential in boat design.  In the file I send both parts are solids.

* January 13, 2019, 06:59:00 PM
It'll work if you turn the Part Tree off. Go to Options>ACIS and UNcheck "Create Editing History."

Henry H

* January 14, 2019, 11:03:44 AM
Nope.  There is no way that I can get the lofted part to dissect the beam. A solid can be created at the intersection but this will not function as a slicing or subtraction part either  The program keeps saying the parts don't intersect. It can all be done through exploding the beam but this is far too tedious an one does not end up with a solid beam

The frustrating thing is that it HAS worked on a few rare occasions. It has to be associated with the  properties of the lofted part.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

M

January 14, 2019, 12:40:56 PM
Hi Michael,

for me, the slice tool only works reliably when surfaces are derived from 2D profiles.  Your curved surface is probably compound.

Notwithstanding that, this is what I did:

1.  Turn off the part tree.

2.  Explode each object, so they are both ACIS solids.

3.  Give some thickness to the curved object, say 0.01 mm, using the shell tool.

4.  Boolean subtract the curved object from the beam, remembering to select "Don't remove the subtrahend" if you wish to retain this part.

5.  Select the beam and explode once, to create two separate ACIS solids.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:44:46 PM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* January 14, 2019, 01:25:06 PM
Worked Ok for me in 2017 pro using Henry's suggestion.  I opened the drawing, turned off create edit history, slice by surface worked fine. 

That said, just in case your loft is retaining some old history internally, One can, After turning off history, explode the loft once. It should then show in the selection palette as an ACIS object.  This will sever all ties to any 2D profile and wipe out any history.

* January 14, 2019, 01:28:26 PM
Nope.  There is no way that I can get the lofted part to dissect the beam. A solid can be created at the intersection but this will not function as a slicing or subtraction part either  The program keeps saying the parts don't intersect. It can all be done through exploding the beam but this is far too tedious an one does not end up with a solid beam

The frustrating thing is that it HAS worked on a few rare occasions. It has to be associated with the  properties of the lofted part.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

M

Works for me in your drawing, every time. I turn the Part Tree OFF; activate the 3D Slice tool and enable "Slice by Surface"; click the box object; click the loft object. I'm using v2017.5, 32-bit with Windows 10 Pro. (Your drawing behaves exactly the same in my v2018.0, 64-bit.)

Henry H

* January 14, 2019, 01:40:54 PM
Michael.  Just to add something else you could try.   In case for some reason TC is getting confused by the object axes (I've had this in the past).

Turn off History.  On the world workplane draw a large box so it full covers the loft,  3D intersect by clicking the box and then the loft, this will (should) reset the object axes, (which will actually now be wrong but it shouldn't matter).  try slice by surface and see what happens.   

* January 14, 2019, 03:36:36 PM
Hi Andy and others

Mine is working now.  I turned off Part Tree yesterday and got no improvement but today we are away.

Lots of good advice here. Thanks folks. Now I can draw me a boat. I will have more questions to ask about getting accuracy in the lofted part down the track, That can wait for now

Cheers

Michael C   

* January 15, 2019, 02:34:19 PM
Hi Andy and others

Mine is working now.  I turned off Part Tree yesterday and got no improvement but today we are away.

Lots of good advice here. Thanks folks. Now I can draw me a boat. I will have more questions to ask about getting accuracy in the lofted part down the track, That can wait for now

Cheers

Michael C

Please report this to iMSI,
It appears that the Part tree is dysfunctional. If this is as designed there should be a warning  ;D
Turning it Off allowed the slice by surface.
I tried Andy's method with part tree ON and the slice still failed.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* January 15, 2019, 04:03:06 PM
For Me.  There is something strange about how TC (and possibly part tree) is coping with the axes.

Just gave it another go.  With part tree turned On.   If I draw a box on the world workplane (I drew it slightly larger than the existing one).  and try the slice, it fails. But. If I then intersect the new box with the existing box, it slices OK. 

If I use my own template, and draw a box and loft two splines,  as I would normally do the it (draw box on world workplane, splines in front view, then loft)  it slices Ok every time without fail. 

However.  Again in my own template.  If I recreate the loft and box, using the exact same axes alignment as the original file.  It fails to slice.

I guess the moral is. If it fails first time, try a few different methods until one works.  :)

* January 17, 2019, 10:51:35 AM
Michael.  Just to add something else you could try.   In case for some reason TC is getting confused by the object axes (I've had this in the past).

Turn off History.  On the world workplane draw a large box so it full covers the loft,  3D intersect by clicking the box and then the loft, this will (should) reset the object axes, (which will actually now be wrong but it shouldn't matter).  try slice by surface and see what happens.   

I was having trouble again this morning. I tried the above and it worked. Thanks Andy

Cheers
M

January 18, 2019, 03:59:41 AM
I had some sporadic failures in the last couple days, even when creating the Solid Surface from a 2D object using the Loft command.

It is less likely to fail using a Spline as the source for the Solid Surface.  Somewhat more likely to fail with a Polyline that has curves in it (haven't really run this down).  I don't use Beziers because, for some reason, I seem to recall reading that they were more likely to fail, but I just ran an experiment on a moderately complex object and it worked fine.

A straight line seems least likely to fail, but when it does, moving one of the end points slightly can help.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1