TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Sorry - Still Baffled By Aligning 2D Figures.
Read 634 times
* January 10, 2019, 02:33:00 PM
Orthographic projection only - I can't draw in 3D, but more importantly, that would not give me the machining information I need.

I still can't see how to fit even two simple rectangles together, line-on-line on the correct alignment, without laborious calculations.

I'm trying to design a small, 2-throw crankshaft with 2 web pairs 90ยบ apart, and various diameters: geometrically, its elevation is a row of various rectangles. The main shaft is along the X-axis, but some rectangles are unsymmetrical with the axis and mating parts. I would like to be able to draw it accurately enough for TC to dimension it from one end for machining - I don't believe I can.

I have advice gratefully received from Henry Hubbich.  Summarised, he says:

- "Relocate the Reference Point."
Under "Edit", called "Block/Space" RP. Right... but I don't know if the new RP is on the intended alignment axis, especially where the two parts are mutually unsymmetrical. Also, I assume I do that to both elements, but when selecting the second, the first RP reverts to Centre of Extents (the centre of the rectangle). 

--  Drag one object by its new RP to the new position.
I understand that as making the mating parts' new RPs Snap together. Hence my comment about alignment axis. Oh, I can't, as the little yellow RP dots are back home in the middles of the rectangles anyway.

---- "and use a snap that refers to the 'to' point..." (Henry's words).
Which? Many snaps listed, some 3D-only; none "by reference points".

The Snaps section in the Manual is muddled up with that about Layers; but like most of the document, tells me nothing helpful.

So.... is making one side of a polygon lie exactly on another and on the correct axis in two dimensions, without co-ordinate calculations, actually possible? Just be thankful I avoid 3D's rebellious co-ordinates, work-planes and axes!

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

* January 10, 2019, 02:56:34 PM
"---- "and use a snap that refers to the 'to' point..." (Henry's words). "

If that's what I said, Nigel, it's no wonder you're confused. I can't understand that, either.

To relocate the polygon, try "Assemble by 3 Points" and carefully follow the instructions at the bottom left of your screen after activating the tool.

Henry H

* January 10, 2019, 03:48:34 PM
OK, I'm a little wounded!   I'd say something like that, but what's not to understand?!  Simply put, there's a destination point (the "to" feature) that will have at the very least one identifying characteristic, anything from an x, y coordinate to an edge, quadrant, vertex, or any other of the things we snap to.  Sheesh.  Where do you guys move things "from", anyway?

* January 11, 2019, 01:58:45 PM
Sorry Chaps - I muddled you up!

Yes, the original reply was by Murray, not Henry! I think you'd both replied but it was Murray's I'd printed.

Anyway, I've just tried again. Two rectangles of different sizes, and I want one to mate with the other line-on-line, with one corner of each co-inciding.
If I understand the original reply correctly...,
    I've fixed Rectangle 1 where I want it on the entire drawing. So that's the destination, the "to".
    The "from" is the position of Rectangle Two, at this stage floating around to the right and below the Rect.1
    So - if I read it right - I change the RP of each (naturally on its Centre of Extents) to the top left and top right vertex, respectively.
    I have set the Snaps to Vertex, Ortho and Show Mag. Point.
    Then I put the cursor arrow on the yellow RP indicator of Rect.2 and bodily drag it to Rect.1's RP, so the two should snap together...

Only they don't. The two RPs have either vanished or scuttled off back to being C of Es again, in the centres of the rectangles. I cannot make anything work as its labels and your instructions seem to say. So let's try Henry's suggestion (I have the drawing open)... Assemble by 3 Points....

Ah, that worked! Thank you!

Obviously there is some hidden difference between the two methods, or their underlying concepts, which I do not know. Are they actually for very different things, such as the "Relocate..." one being only for 3D drawings, or something?

Right, if that neatly puts two polygons together corner-to-corner, I will try to see how to put them together with one part-way along the other, so one overlaps the other at both ends but at a set point.... .

No-one claimed it's easy to teach yourself industrial-grade software..... nor did they say it ranges from extremely difficult to impossible!

Nigel.

On TC Deluxe 19: hobby use.

January 12, 2019, 03:46:17 AM
Here's a different way of doing it.

Please note that I usually have No Snap activated, but turned it off here so that you could more clearly see what is happening (Vertex snapping is the only snap mode used here; you could just tap the V SEKE (Single Entry Key Equivalent) to do the same thing by tapping the 'V' key when the cursor is near the vertex where you want to snap the selected point (in this case, the corner of the rectangle you are moving). 

The popups are caused by right-clicking the mouse when the cursor is properly placed.  If you are in 3D mode, you may see warnings about changing the local Workplane (or not, if you turned them off at some time in the past); you will not see them if you are in 2D mode.

The Drawing Aids popup (easiest way to see that is to place the cursor over SNAP on the bottom of the TurboCAD window near the right side) allows you to set the preferred snaps or to turn them off altogether.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 12, 2019, 12:50:42 PM

Two rectangles of different sizes, and I want one to mate with the other line-on-line, with one corner of each co-inciding.
If I understand the original reply correctly...,
    I've fixed Rectangle 1 where I want it on the entire drawing. So that's the destination, the "to".
    The "from" is the position of Rectangle Two, at this stage floating around to the right and below the Rect.1
    So - if I read it right - I change the RP of each (naturally on its Centre of Extents) to the top left and top right vertex, respectively.
    I have set the Snaps to Vertex, Ortho and Show Mag. Point.
    Then I put the cursor arrow on the yellow RP indicator of Rect.2 and bodily drag it to Rect.1's RP, so the two should snap together...

Only they don't. The two RPs have either vanished or scuttled off back to being C of Es again, in the centres of the rectangles. I cannot make anything work as its labels and your instructions seem to say. So let's try Henry's suggestion (I have the drawing open)... Assemble by 3 Points....

Ah, that worked! Thank you!

Obviously there is some hidden difference between the two methods, or their underlying concepts, which I do not know. Are they actually for very different things, such as the "Relocate..." one being only for 3D drawings, or something?

Right, if that neatly puts two polygons together corner-to-corner, I will try to see how to put them together with one part-way along the other, so one overlaps the other at both ends but at a set point.... .

No-one claimed it's easy to teach yourself industrial-grade software..... nor did they say it ranges from extremely difficult to impossible!

Nigel, you don't have to relocate the reference points of both rectangles, only that of the one that you're moving.  So, select that rectangle, and press 'D' to pick up the reference point.  Hover the cursor over the corner that you're moving by and press V for vertex, the reference point should set down on that corner, you now have the rectangle selected and its RP on that corner.  Click on the RP to pick up the rectangle by it, direct the cursor over the corner of the other rectangle that you're aligning it with, and press the V for vertex key again to set the floating rectangle down.