TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

"Define Window" function not working
Read 1851 times
* January 01, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
I have been trying to print an area of a drawing. Normally, I would select print and would get an option to "define window" which lets me define that part of the drawing that I want to print.
I recently installed a new printer which has been configured correctly and is working as it should. When I now try to "define window" that screen does not seem to work.
It has been suggested that the TurboCad program be removed and reinstalled.
I am using TurboCad Deluxe 20 64 bit, latest version on a W10  machine.
Any ideas?
Thanks

* January 01, 2019, 05:07:05 PM
Seems to work okay here in TurboCAD V20.2 Deluxe.

I go to the Print dialog (Ctrl+P) and change the "View" to "*Window". The dialog closes and I have a cursor with a 'window' attached that I drag to define the view Window. The Print dialog reopens and it prints the area I selected.
After that I can open the Print dialog and select the "Define Window" button and the dialog closes. Select a different view and the dialog reopens; print.

Is this new printer the "Default" printer? The program would 'hang' if I chose a different HP printer from my list. It worked after I made it "Default" in Windows "Settings".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

January 02, 2019, 03:51:28 AM
Are you printing from Model space or Paper space?  It seems you are printing from Model space, but I want to make sure.

If so, when you bring up the Save As File Requester and see the Setup button towards the lower right, click on that and verify that the Output Range is set to View.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 02, 2019, 06:54:18 AM
John R.--- The printer that is installed is the default printer. The problem that I have is that the "define window" does not seem to be functioning correctly. I cannot select a portion of a drawing to be printed. I did a test drawing of a one inch circle. I can print that drawing of the one inch circle but I cannot print anything larger or smaller, since the define window function does not seem to work.

Jeff--- I am printing from Model space. When I try to "save as" I do not see a setup button towards the lower right as you describe. From the main screen, File > Save As. My options on that screen are to select the location and the name of the file. I have searched around and do not see the selections you describe. What am I missing?

January 02, 2019, 11:34:51 AM
Jeff--- I am printing from Model space. When I try to "save as" I do not see a setup button towards the lower right as you describe. From the main screen, File > Save As. My options on that screen are to select the location and the name of the file. I have searched around and do not see the selections you describe. What am I missing?

When you select File / Save As, you have to select an image File Type (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc.) to get a specific view.  If you select All, then everything on a visible Layer will be in the image (the specified resolution will determine the placement and margins).

If you select a CAD File Type (DWG, DXF, STP, STL, etc.), then you are always going to get everything that is on a visible Layer unless you have selected one or more objects and click on the Select radio button near the bottom right of the file requester popup.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* January 02, 2019, 02:46:40 PM
John R.--- The printer that is installed is the default printer. The problem that I have is that the "define window" does not seem to be functioning correctly. I cannot select a portion of a drawing to be printed. I did a test drawing of a one inch circle. I can print that drawing of the one inch circle but I cannot print anything larger or smaller, since the define window function does not seem to work.

This is the icon I get when I initially select "*Window" option. After that I will click on the "Define Window" button and re-select a view.  The Print Preview looks small, but it fills the page because "Fit on 1 page" was checked. I'm guessing you're not getting that 'window icon' when clicking on the "Define Window" button.

Have you tried reinstalling the program or you might try deleting the contents of the Built-In folder when TurboCAD is shutdown. See: Common troubleshooting procedures for TurboCAD.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 02, 2019, 04:09:11 PM
If I right click the TurboCAD icon on the desktop or in the task bar there is an option to run the program as administrator. Selecting the "run as administrator" option does not do anything. Is there some other action that I am missing?

* January 02, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
I removed and reinstalled the program. No change in how the "define window" print function works. Same as original problem.

* January 02, 2019, 04:58:29 PM
Normally it's easier to just do a Repair, very seldom it helps with re-install and if Repair dont work take the Built in route as John R suggested a couple of post above ;);)

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

January 03, 2019, 02:36:19 AM
Normally it's easier to just do a Repair, very seldom it helps with re-install and if Repair dont work take the Built in route as John R suggested a couple of post above ;);)

The Repair function (under Windows' Uninstall Program) will not fix everything.  When TurboCAD makes the PosX/Y/Z text gadgets disappear from the Inspector Bar (and greys out the ScaleX/Y/Z functionality), I have to delete the Built-In folder.

Jeff

* January 03, 2019, 02:57:22 AM
What i try to say is that a un/ re-install of TC is most of the times, just waste of time :)

Whatever we do we very seldom can do something that effect the basic program, in fact we only need to delete 2 folders and we have a clean "New" install, of course it is a good idea to move from there the files we want to keep first ;);):)
Thats why a Repair is first option as we then dont need to set up system/ cfg and template again after the repair.

Next is Built-in, and we dont need to delete what's inside it, just delete the full folder, finish ( at least i do and have never had any issue with it.

If that not help and the bugger is still there, i delete the built in one more time and then close my pc, wait a bit and start it again ( Cold start), start TC and it is normally fixed.
As we know, TC like to keep what he have got, so sometimes TC remember it even if we delete the Built-in, hence the close/ start of pc.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* January 03, 2019, 09:54:49 AM
Thanks to all who are trying to assist me is solving this problem. Sooner or later we will figure it out.
Here is where I am so far.
1. With TC shut down, I did delete the built-in folder. Re-booted the computer and started TC. Same problem.
2. With TC shut down, I once again deleted the built-in folder, turned off the computer and waited approx 10 min. Restarted and re-opened TC with same result.
3. With TC shut down, deleted built-in folder, removed TC from the computer. Reloaded another copy of TC Deluxe 64 bit V 20.2. Same result.
The print window works to some extent, and always has. It will accept a print command. What does not work is the "define window". I know how it should work as it worked before I installed my new wireless printer. I should also say that it does not make any difference which drawing I select to try and print. The "define window" acts the same way regardless of drawing, at least as far as I can tell. I guess if I had another printer I could try that but I do not have another printer available.
Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

* January 03, 2019, 02:31:34 PM
I guess if I had another printer I could try that but I do not have another printer available.
Any other ideas?

Download a PDF print driver.

Link to subject ....
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,23577.0.html   (.... SODA PDF was selected)

Print to PDF ... if all good, then print PDF to your wireless printer.

Cheers
Mike

* January 03, 2019, 03:42:14 PM
Mike,
I did download the SODA PDF file. I does show up as a printer option but it does not make any difference in how the define window function operates.
I can print an entire drawing in a selected scale but I am unable to select a portion of that drawing with the define window. There has to be some logical solution to this problem.
Thanks for your comments,

* January 03, 2019, 03:48:53 PM
I wonder if a different version of TC would function the same way as my TC deluxe 20? I did not see any but are there any trial copies of TC Pro available? Might be worth a try....

* January 03, 2019, 03:57:35 PM
I wonder if a different version of TC would function the same way as my TC deluxe 20? I did not see any but are there any trial copies of TC Pro available? Might be worth a try....

Free Trials  You've got a choice of Platinum, Expert or Deluxe.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 03, 2019, 08:09:21 PM
I recently installed a new printer .... When I now try to "define window" that screen does not seem to work.

I am using TurboCad Deluxe 20 64 bit, latest version on a W10  machine.

Any ideas?

You could check to see if you have the latest edition of V20 ....
http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,11544.0.html

V20 was written for Win8.1 ..... If all was good prior to installing the new printer ... then i suggest the following
(Upgrades = Downgrades)

The installing of the print driver has altered windows10 ... using the PDF printer points to this.

Either work around it via creating a Viewport and insert it in a PaperSpace / print it that way.

Or
(Usual warning about backing up files) >> Roll back win 10 to a previous date, prior to the install of the printer, to when TC was working properly.

Cheers
Mike

* January 04, 2019, 06:22:51 AM
The problem is not that the printer fails to print, the problem is with the "define window" of the print function. Normally I would select "define window" and then be able to outline that area of the drawing that I want to print. That function has ceased to work.
I am not sure if this issue is related to the actual drawing but I don't think so. Anyway I have attached (or tried to attach) a copy of the drawing that started all of this. Hopefully someone can try to open the drawing and see if the "define window" function works.

I plan on reviewing the issue of the driver that was installed in the printer and see if that might be an issue.

* January 04, 2019, 06:54:17 AM
TCW file not there, only a jpg of the file. I would suggest posting the tcw file.       

Re - "I am not sure if this issue is related to the actual drawing but I don't think so".   Probably best to try a new from scratch drawing, which will load none or your altered settings, and should give a good test if its a file problem or TC/printer problem.

* January 04, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
I have attached a copy of the drawing in TCW format.
I did try a new drawing from scratch with the same results with "define window"
The suspicion is that there is something wrong with the W10 operating system that causes this problem. Tomorrow the machine is going to have the operating system reinstalled. Lets hope that works.

January 04, 2019, 09:53:47 AM
Hi Rex,

using Platinum Pro 2018 with Windows 10, I was able to open your file and print a window view, using Adobe PDF.
That was the best I could do, as I don't have a printer!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* January 04, 2019, 11:19:28 AM
Your drawing worked okay in TurboCAD Deluxe V20.2.53.3. I never went to Build 57.0 because it added a SPAM window at the startup.

The movie: Rex Perry Define Window

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 04, 2019, 11:56:00 AM
Hi John,
Your "movie" was pretty interesting. I would have never thought to do that. What you show is exactly what should happen and the fact that you could manipulate the drawing is further evidence that my system is somehow corrupt. I have high hopes that after I get W10 reloaded things will be OK.
Tim,
I am puzzled as to how you print a window view without a printer.... I am learning new stuff all the time.

January 04, 2019, 02:04:33 PM

Tim,
I am puzzled as to how you print a window view without a printer.... I am learning new stuff all the time.

Using Adobe PDF, as a selection to print to, instead of a conventional paper printer, I was able to print it to a PDF file. 
As a test, this worked (see below).

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* January 08, 2019, 08:40:02 AM
I had the windows 10 operating system removed and reinstalled, during which the TC program was removed from the computer. I am now in the process of reinstalling TC and have gotten to the point where an activation code is required. I enter the activation code that I have for what I believe to be my version of TC Deluxe 20 64 bit and I get a message that the code is not correct. This is the only activation code that I have.
What do I do now?

* January 08, 2019, 09:20:56 AM
Did the code look like "TCCY-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" or just "xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"

And/ or is it a update from an earlier version of DL

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* January 08, 2019, 09:30:37 AM
I had the windows 10 operating system removed and reinstalled, during which the TC program was removed from the computer. I am now in the process of reinstalling TC and have gotten to the point where an activation code is required. I enter the activation code that I have for what I believe to be my version of TC Deluxe 20 64 bit and I get a message that the code is not correct. This is the only activation code that I have.
What do I do now?

Normally, the program will send you to a webpage that has a updated Activation Code. I just copy-n-paste that to the program and a text file that has my Serial Number / Activation Code for that TurboCAD version.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 08, 2019, 10:31:38 AM
I did discover that the activation code that I had was outdated. In the process, I updated to TC 2018 49.0 x64 because I was told by personnel at IMSI Design that v20 was not designed to run on W10. Anyway, the good news is that TC2018 is up and running... the bad news is that the "define window" problem that started all of this is still with me.

* January 08, 2019, 03:27:33 PM
If you're experiencing the same problem in TurboCAD 2018 (V25), then you should contact Support.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 09, 2019, 06:26:34 AM
After an on-line session with  IMDI Design Support, it was determined that the problem was, in fact, with the print driver. A copy of TurboPDF was downloaded and that seemed to solve the problem.
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Hopefully the experience will help if others have the same problem.

* May 04, 2019, 06:31:43 PM
I have a similar problem, Windows 10 64 bit, HP laserjet printer that works properly with all applications except TurboCAD.  When I print from Model space I find it convenient to select, in the "Print Range", view and then "current view" from the drop-down list.  All of a sudden I can no longer do that.  Neither "Print Range" nor "Print Source" selections have any effect on the output of the printer.  The drop down list in Print Range is blank.  The only way I can get something printed is to use Paper space.  True with existing drawings and "new from scratch" drawings.  Uninstalled and re-installed the printer.  No change.  Uninstalled and re-installed TurboCAD 2019.  No change.

Don't understand why downloading TurboPDF would solve your problem, did it come with a new printer driver?   Guess I'll have to try it.  Couldn't I just re-intall printer drive directly without downloading TurboPDF?

Thanks for posting all your travails.