TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Wall problems
Read 6709 times
May 18, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
Starting a new drawing and walls heal up with diagonal lines and wall hatch is not consistant in plan view. I have checked to be sure it all on the same work plane and that the miter is turned off.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 18, 2009, 01:05:13 PM
Jon:

Thanks.  We are looking into this issue now

May 18, 2009, 01:09:25 PM
Do you want a drawing file or is this a known problem?  The problem is showing up more as I add doors.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

May 18, 2009, 01:20:55 PM
I have never seen this before.  Could you post the file or send it to support@imsidesign.com

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

May 18, 2009, 01:56:41 PM
Rip, I sent the file and template it was made from to support.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:58:26 PM by coxwelljon »

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 18, 2009, 05:26:22 PM
I have sent the issue thru to Softdev.  I should have an answer in the AM.
I have drawn plenty of angled walls. but never noticed the hatching.  There is an option for
the styles that lets you set the rotation of the hatch...and whether it is set by world and by entity.
To me it seems that by entity should be properly compenstating.

* May 21, 2009, 12:43:29 PM
We heard back from softdev regarding the diagonal hatching.
As shown in the image you do have some control of this via the component draw priorities.

May 21, 2009, 01:12:31 PM
We heard back from softdev regarding the diagonal hatching.
As shown in the image you do have some control of this via the component draw priorities.

Dave I think you missed the problem.  I have continued on with the file.  Notice the diagonal lines within the walls and the lack of a hatch pattern in parts.  (see screen cap) Does this have something to do with the new wall components?  I also got this in 15 but not as often.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 21, 2009, 01:37:22 PM
I thought I might have gotten this thread mixed with another user's.

However I did go back and have a second look at your garage drawing.
Initially it seemed to me that the trouble may stem from you drawing overlapping segments.
I
've tried to use the wall join tool on the bottom middle segment and TC ignores that
segment completely.   However another strange happening is that when I set the Wall Properties | Wall -Refence property to anything other than Left it seems to fix the problem.    Now that I am clear of the potential cause that will help me get the issue fixed.

Thanks

* May 21, 2009, 01:49:13 PM
Notice the diagonal lines within the walls and the lack of a hatch pattern in parts.

This is caused by having two walls in the same place (plane). Placing the a wall on a hidden layer won't work. If you want to have walls overlapping, they need to be physically separated in Z. One wall has to be above or below the other on a different workplane.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 21, 2009, 04:48:44 PM
Actually I believe creating a new style with different draw priorty can be used as well because the auto-healing is ignored.
That said Softdev will probably have a more difinitive answer for me in the next day or so as I have sent a movie describing the problem to them.

May 23, 2009, 12:22:41 PM
This is caused by having two walls in the same place (plane). Placing the a wall on a hidden layer won't work. If you want to have walls overlapping, they need to be physically separated in Z. One wall has to be above or below the other on a different workplane.

Thanks for your comment, John.  I know what you are saying and take care to seperate walls for different floors by an appropriate Z.  In fact since I have been using the 3d capabilities in the architectural tools I am especially careful to get the accurate Z height as I usually take the model into SketchUp for further design and rendering.  This phenomenon began while starting a new floor plan from scratch in my custom template.  It showed up only after putting in only 4 or 5 walls.  I went back at that time and made sure they were all on the same workplane.  The only thing I can think of is that the wall styles in my template were created several versions back.  I don't remember this happening (as long as walls were on the proper workplane) until version 14.2 and then rarely.  It seems that TC should be able to translate entities for older versions.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

May 23, 2009, 12:36:00 PM
Actually I believe creating a new style with different draw priorty can be used as well because the auto-healing is ignored.
That said Softdev will probably have a more difinitive answer for me in the next day or so as I have sent a movie describing the problem to them.

Thanks Dave,

Please let me know what you find out.  Maybe if I know what the offending problem is I can do some editing to my template without having to recreate it from scratch.  I still think it should not happen as most of us architect types do bring in entities  and parts of older files on a regular basis and TC should be able to handle that especially if they are coming from other TC files.

I did just for kicks start the same project (the basic walls) in a totally blank file and I did not see the problem.  I however, did not have all my preset walls, blocks, styles, etc. available to use.  I also started a new file and extracted the information except for graphics from an old file and the problem showed up the same as when I started from my custom template.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* May 28, 2009, 01:54:48 PM
I had the same problem when bringing in an old project into a newer version, tcad15. The results were that the wall tool is really only for 3d and has to be placed on different workplanes or it really gets fouled up. I had to change all of the walls to double lines to work in 2d and it was time consuming because of all of the layers I had.The older version wall tool worked well in 2d, I miss it.

Frank Zangari ASID

June 01, 2009, 03:57:43 PM
Frank,

I agree.  If this does not get fixed it means that TC is not practical for projects that span the time frame of more than one version and that is often the case in an architectural office.  If one has to go back to using a double line for walls then none of the architectural tools are practical.  It seems that the developers lost sight that plans eventually need to be generated as 2D separations.  Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated with the time it takes to fix these kinds of things so the final product looks presentable.
 >:(

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle