TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Moving a 2d drawing from front plane to world plane
Read 911 times
* January 05, 2019, 01:34:33 PM
Hello, I drew a 3d model and used the front plane to draw a detailed 2d drawing for the sheet metal shop. I need to take this 2d drawing and place it on the world plane of a new drawing to suit the metal shop's software. I have tried to use ctrl a and lassoing all the entities but I only wind up with a few dimensions and not the drawing itself when I paste it. I was able to place it on the world plane on the original, but it scramble the entities around. How can I do this?

Thank you in advance! (I'm running out for a while, but will check back upon my return.
Ed

* January 05, 2019, 02:19:48 PM
How's this ...?

Henry H

* January 06, 2019, 01:22:41 PM
Hi Henry. Thank you very much, it is exactly what I wanted. How did you do this?
Thanks again!!

Ed

* January 06, 2019, 01:56:50 PM
Hi Henry. Thank you very much, it is exactly what I wanted. How did you do this?
Thanks again!!

Ed

You're welcome, Ed. I went to the World Workplane, selected everything and entered "-90" in the Rot X field of the Inspector Bar, then applied Place on Workplane. Copied everything and pasted into an empty new drawing.

Henry H

* January 06, 2019, 03:47:29 PM
Thanks again!!

Ed

You're welcome, Ed. I went to the World Workplane, selected everything and entered "-90" in the Rot X field of the Inspector Bar, then applied Place on Workplane. Copied everything and pasted into an empty new drawing.

Henry H

I gather your selector was in "3D mode" to get a "Rot X" field.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 06, 2019, 05:21:35 PM
Thanks again!!

Ed

Henry H

I gather your selector was in "3D mode" to get a "Rot X" field.

Yup. Always is, unless I have a specific reason to switch to 2D.

Henry H

* January 06, 2019, 09:09:09 PM
I'm the opposite; usually in a 2D selector mode when only 2D objects are selected. I like the "2D/3D Depending…" setting.

I would've selected all those 2D objects, made that a Group and Copy, then pasted the Group into the new drawing. It should paste to the World WorkPlane or whatever the current WP is at. Everything should stay in place since it's in a Group.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 07, 2019, 03:21:46 AM
Hi John, how do you do 2d/3d depending...?

* January 07, 2019, 08:49:21 AM
Hi John, how do you do 2d/3d depending...?

When the Selection tool is active, right-click and choose "Selector 2D (or 3D) Properties…" from the Local Menu. Go to the "General" page and select "2D/3D Depending…". With this setting, when you select 2D Objects, you just get the 2D selector options in the Inspector Bar. If you select 3D objects, you'll get the 3D options in the Inspector Bar. If you select a mixture of 2D & 3D, it defaults to 3D options. You don't need to fiddle with the "Toggle 2D/3D" option, as TurboCAD will do the work for you. I treat that "Toggle" as an 'override". If I want to move 2D objects in a 3D manner, then I'll 'toggle', but that is rare for me. Most everything I do (that needs a 2D profile) is created on the World WorkPlane, then the 3D object from that profile is moved into place.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* January 07, 2019, 09:51:26 AM
Thank you for your insight!
Have a great day!