TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Lightworks Image Competition entry
Read 2909 times
August 01, 2011, 12:51:00 AM
Hey guys.  Nice stuff you've all been up to!  Brad, that wireless keyboard render is just so freakin' perfect. 

I've finally got the Challenge prizes downloaded (except for Surface Modeler), but haven't had time to play yet.  Might just be able to upgrade to a multi-core machine in the next couple weeks, so I'm waiting to install v18.  Thanks again to everyone who contributed prizes.

So . . . I just kept on going with that image, for Lightworks' competition.  And it grew into this!  I had intended to do a closeup of the work area, but, you know, things change.  Used Softbox to make a cubical map for overall lighting, the monitors casting light, the gooseneck lights tiny spots.  Desktop came out great.  I could be happier with the window detail and view, though.  Last-minute addition, and I Just plain ran out of time for more iterations.  Maybe I should have used an image of the Singapore night F1 race, because the black areas would have better shown reflections in the glass.  Oh well.  Still, it has a realistic gavitas feel.  I can almost hear engines.  Now I'll see how the image fares.  It's fun to work with these different levels of detail.  The Red Bull car is an SKP model from 3D Warehouse.  Bellisimo!

I was a photographer for a while, did studio product & fashion photography, so I know what you mean about the two disciplines, cad and camera.  The photo experience helps me a lot with framing, where I think from what wideangle lens would I be using on a 35mm camera?  I also adjust lighting by thinking in f-stops.  It's more the same than different.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

August 01, 2011, 04:43:55 AM
Beautiful work as always Steve...well done

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

August 01, 2011, 08:01:03 AM

August 01, 2011, 09:06:54 AM
Looking good Steve! This image has a nice sense of depth to it. Best of luck in the competition.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* August 01, 2011, 09:30:14 AM
Fantastic.

Henry H

August 02, 2011, 01:31:00 PM
I guess we'll have a very long wait now to see where we stand in the ranks. I just checked their web page and found this: The closing date for the current competition is 31st December 2011. I can't believe that they keep changing the closing date.

August 03, 2011, 04:49:02 AM
very nice work
congrads on the win

* August 03, 2011, 07:36:50 AM
I guess we'll have a very long wait now to see where we stand in the ranks. I just checked their web page and found this: The closing date for the current competition is 31st December 2011. I can't believe that they keep changing the closing date.

Now that's downright silly.

Henry H

August 03, 2011, 10:35:42 AM

That is really strange.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* August 03, 2011, 12:01:52 PM
I see your point even more closely Don with regards in your earlier threads when they change the dead line multiple times.I come to the conclusion why bother. If do a little research and study reviews that camera isn't all that.Now if the grand prize was something better like a new PC built for Cad that would be better prize IMO.Instead of changing the deadline it should be finalize and than start new competition.Seems they change things around on a whim. :(

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

August 09, 2011, 10:24:53 AM
Ugh, yeh, this sucks . . .thanks for posting Don, I hadn't seen this.  Originally the deadline was Jun 30th, then July 31st, now this.  Maybe they just didn't get enough good entries??  Oh well, it does give me the opportunity for some more tweaking, which I would've done if I had more time.  It seems their prizes are usually in the $400-$700 range, too low for a CAD system.  But maybe a high-end graphics card?  Or a 30" Apple Cinema display?  Or a Cintiq tablet? Lightowrks, are you listening?
Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

August 12, 2011, 06:15:54 AM
Cool rendering, Steve.  Love the inclusion of a model on the desk.  Good luck... sorry they moved the date so far back.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016