TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Video Series Tutorials
Read 2303 times
March 14, 2018, 06:12:04 PM
Some of you guys have purchased some of my written tutorials over the years and some of you same guys have worked through some of my video tutorials. I am wondering if you might comment on what I am pondering.

I want to continue to make tutorials and I want to continue to sell on my shopping page. Because the written ones take way more time to create than the video ones I was thinking about making some pay for video series. In particular, I would start with a drawing template creation series and then a workplanes series for the upcoming TC 2018.

When I did a survey years ago about user preference regarding "written" or "video series" about 90% of the respondents said they preferred the written format. Some said they wanted both. Although I would not consider doing a combination unless the TC market was much larger and sales warranted it I was hoping that new users might find the video format alright, seeing as I still do it keystroke by keystroke for the most part. The video format is nice as I can talk a lot more during the tutorial about many related things that just take too long to include in the written versions.

I guess I am wondering if former customers see merit in paid for video series, now that you can compare both of my formats. If I were to do pay for video series I would add a lot more detail to program and drawing setup, as I did in my written versions. Downloads would be much larger, but I don't think that would be much of a deterrent in this day and age.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:03:57 AM by Don Cheke »

March 14, 2018, 06:31:35 PM
I've completed (almost) one of your written tutorials Don, and watched portions of maybe 3 of the Video-series tutorials.  I might have watched one series all the way through (but I don't think so).

I have to say that I much more prefer the video-- including the audio, which really enhances the experience.
Perhaps that is because I am an intermediate level TurboCADer, and am familiar with TurboCAD and the basics; so everything you show and talk about in the videos I can readily make sense of (maybe a few times with a pause and rewind/replay).

What I found when working through the one written tutorial that I purchased and worked through of yours Don was that I did not much care for the keystroke-by-keystroke approach, and my just doing what you told me to do.  It didn't cause for anything to really sink in-- it was sort of rote(?).  I got sort of bored.
With the videos/audios, you're kind of explaining and showing me, as if we were in the same room together; for whatever reason-- in my brain-- that works better for my learning.  And is much more engaging (and somewhat entertaining).

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 14, 2018, 07:31:36 PM
Think for the future Don, and that is video.

There are not that many left that "need" it written, so then you are left with do you want to do it twice, video and written.
I am 99.9999.... % sure that if you take the time to explain in the video, even the "written guys" will understand it.
When you take the effort to do such a job, where will you get most customer from among them, what time are we in, for sure the written time is near historical nowadays, "everything" is on youtube or similar.
And also, in a written tutorial, at least i will forget the beginning when you come to the end of a point as there may be a lot of stuff you going thrue before you get there, in a video, they can see, and listen at the same time, in other words double effect = more easy to learn.
Think a bit over how we learn to read, we dont learn how the character is like, we learn how the Picture of a character is like, and then our brain will recognize it very quick, as our brain is build for that and will know that Picture and know the meaning of it after a short time, so then what is a video ?, a lot of Picture correct put together.
If it go to quick for someone, there is a pause button, they even can go a little bit back very easy if they need to recall anything.
I recomend everyone that look on a video for Learning something, see the full video first, then replay it and try to figure out what happens after they become a bit familiar with it.

Only one thing, as i read on the forum, some People have not a stabile net, so offer a download version maybe is an idea, not only at YouTube.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM
Don my preference is video by a long margin ( even though Im old school printed reader, still print to paper some times ). Why? Thats simple in the last few videos that Ive seen the information was more informative than what one would expect in say a written document/pdf. Case in point, when I watched the "Bearing Box Tutorial" there was a section in there where you had to add flanges to the cardboard box and you demonstrated the different techniques for achieving flanges etc...

The point here is that you conveyed more information about the flange aspect and workarounds than what youd normally see in a printed document and that was a bonus. Further that in the same video you explained some aspects in TurboCAD and the related function in other cad formats, with the view to improving TurboCADs feature set on methodology of functions and that was informative. Like Alvin said the written ones can be somewhat bland, but then again if its important to learn exactly how to achieve a task then I always found that acceptable. Of course you could always stand back so to speak and review whats happening from the keystroke tutorials rather just banging it out and not taking the time to take it in.

Agree with Torfinn that videos make more sense from the end users perspective because as I see it your talking too them and you can highlight any additional aspects that may have a bearing on the task at hand. Further agree with Torfinn on the stable net point, ( mine is okay 95% of the time ), but the size of the download maybe an issue for others so maybe providing an alternate source and maybe zipped if that reduces the file size further may be warranted.

Content of your videos as well as pricing will be key imo, that said these videos in general will permit you to cover a broader range of  topics in greater detail than ever before and that can only be a good thing ( yesterday I spent the whole day working with the render manager and Henrys photorealism book. I even printed the the book, why as its easier to read than on screen ). From a users perspective covering topics on a range of TurboCAD subjects that users can learn from as well as the common mistakes that may make can only help to make them more productive is good.

One aspect that you dont see in videos that I think would be useful is a a table of contents on the KEY aspects, what I mean is for the user to go straight to a key part of the video rather viewing the whole video over and over or searching for key aspects. Further that say like the videos you see on youtube where they employ an advertisement prior to the video starting, this could be a good place to put a toc as a jump point as to the precise location in time to review these KEY video aspects. 

Finally videos imo will open up the opportunity for you to cover some more of those esoteric aspects that leave some users bogged down and unproductive. Sure videos maybe only short and Im sure will be long but thats the nature of cad, I guess you could always combine small topics together and make them into larger ones. ;D

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* March 15, 2018, 04:16:50 PM
Many thanks for your video and written tutorials!  I have completed at least 3 written tutorials and at least that many of the you tube videos.

I use 2 computers for training, my desktop with a large screen for Turbocad and a laptop for the video or print media.  I have used a second screen on the desktop computer in the past; but prefer using the separate computer.

I have liked both formats equally.  When selecting training materials I only considered what I was trying to learn.  I did not think about preferring either format until your post.  I have especially benefited from your detailed explanation of setting up the drawing environment and program setup.

After giving it some thought, I like the video format and would choose that over the written.  The videos are very thorough and move along nicely, it is also more fun.  Your voice and presentation are pleasant and appropriate for this type of learning.

Thanks for your priceless contribution to the training resources of this program.  The program is difficult to learn so training materials are as important as the program itself.

John

TC 2016 Pro Plat 64b ver 23.2 build 61.2 RedSDK
Intel i5 6500 3.2G 8GB Ram Win7 Pro 64b SP1
MSI Z170-A Nvidia GTX960 Asus 27" 2560 x 1440

TC 2016 Pro Plat 64b ver 25 build 49  Win7 Pro 64B SP1
Intel i5 6500 3.2G 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM
Motherboard MSI Z170-A  Video Card Nvidia GTX960  Monitor Asus 27" 2560 x 1440

* March 15, 2018, 04:55:12 PM
I was trained by the book and continue to learn by the book.
Pictures can be helpful, video's are ok and entertaining but not my preference for learning Cad.
Study and practice is old school.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:57:38 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* March 15, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
Yeah exactly Gamle ørn :)
Old School
The new school use more and more all the new media that are available/ they can afford to buy, wonder why ;)

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* March 15, 2018, 05:41:03 PM
Yeah exactly Gamle ørn :)
Old School
The new school use more and more all the new media that are available/ they can afford to buy, wonder why ;)

Torfinn

Hey old buddy :)

Would you make a video on how to create a ppm ;D   boring...
I think it would be more helpful if it was written.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

March 15, 2018, 06:03:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback.

When I started to write tutorials I chose to write the kind of tutorials I could never find to help me learn TurboCAD (or any other CAD for that matter). This was full project tutorials that didn't leave out any steps and didn't assume I already knew a whole pile of stuff. When I looked at various CAD programs over the years and visited forums it was always the same - people could not find full project tutorials and would be frustrated that the CAD producers for  that system weren't taking heed. When I began my tutorial writing career I learned very early on that keystroke by keystroke presentation was absolutely necessary and I had that confirmed on a continual basis by customers via email thanks. Sales too proved out that I had found a niche for my unique format.

As I have mentioned, I don't have time for the written ones any longer, and truth be told, I am enjoying the video process a lot more. I am going to ponder the "pay for" video series a little more. As I said in my original post I would definitely add more detail to program and drawing setup, or I might make a generic setup video that can be included with any new series so those that already know how can skip that part and move on to the new topic.

As for my style - I appreciate the feedback on that. What you see in the current videos is what would come in anything new - I am who I am. Perhaps, like anything done over the long haul, I will improve with the more I produce.

* March 15, 2018, 06:21:44 PM
Hei gamle ørn :)

If the video is'nt to long it's not boring to make or watch a ppm video, espacially if you dont know how to do and how easy it can be to get started with it.

Actually there is one Deck ppm on the line, just need to be finish with my house video first :)
I made the house in 2017.5 and used RedSDK material ;), but then i see i show some secrets in my toolbars and by that i figured out i need to wait until v 2018 is released, i also forget to think a little bit on DL so i will remake it even if i already have loaded it up on youtube, and was just waiting :)

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* March 15, 2018, 06:56:30 PM
Hei gamle ørn :)

If the video is'nt to long it's not boring to make or watch a ppm video, espacially if you dont know how to do and how easy it can be to get started with it.

Actually there is one Deck ppm on the line, just need to be finish with my house video first :)
I made the house in 2017.5 and used RedSDK material ;), but then i see i show some secrets in my toolbars and by that i figured out i need to wait until v 2018 is released, i also forget to think a little bit on DL so i will remake it even if i already have loaded it up on youtube, and was just waiting :)

Torfinn

Hey old buddy :)
I understand, you do some great work.
Maybe have some Norwegian folk music playing in the background.  :)

* March 16, 2018, 12:45:33 AM
Hei Gamle ørn

The idea with a training video is to learn away something, not torture them :)
Have you ever even heard norwegian folk music ?, i can find some for you if you have special interest :))

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* March 16, 2018, 08:46:03 PM
I like both the written and the video.  I enjoy the video probably more as Don explains things a little more while he is going along. This really helps. I have a few of his written tutorials and have followed along on his videos. I love watching and learning from Don.

Donnie

ps. to me learning should not be boring and it isn't.

March 19, 2018, 01:53:31 AM
I have purchased two of your written tutorials and viewed a couple 'chapters' of some of your video tutorials.

I far prefer the written versions for the simple reason that I can proceed at my own speed (which can vary, depending on several things).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1