TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Material request
Read 1506 times
* January 27, 2018, 11:40:46 AM
I am looking for a vertical grain fir material for pro-platinum 21 with lightworks. Does anyone have a good one they would be willing to share?

* January 27, 2018, 12:53:37 PM
Here's a few that use the TCad "Pine" Pattern rather than a wrapped image. Not as realistic as the latter, but the advantage is that the grain looks OK on all faces of the object. Note that you can use the "seeding" technique to control the grain direction and the location of the center of the virtual tree from which the lumber is cut.

Henry H

* January 27, 2018, 02:55:16 PM
Thank you Henry. The example on the far left is very close to what i am looking for, but when I look in the materials box of the selection pallet there is no material listed. The other four each show a material under the wood tests category, but not that one, even if i explode it to separate it from the cylinder.

* January 27, 2018, 03:12:39 PM
Thank you Henry. The example on the far left is very close to what i am looking for, but when I look in the materials box of the selection pallet there is no material listed. The other four each show a material under the wood tests category, but not that one, even if i explode it to separate it from the cylinder.

It's the same material as the object directly behind it. Adding the cylinder to the original object is an example of "seeding" to change the grain direction slightly and to relocate the center of the virtual tree. The Facet Editor will reveal the material: Illuminate any face of the object and open the Properties dialog.

Henry H

* January 27, 2018, 08:03:32 PM
Henry, Can you elaborate on "relocate the center of the virtual tree", in relation to seeding.

I didn't know of this aspect of seeding.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 28, 2018, 09:29:52 AM
Henry, Can you elaborate on "relocate the center of the virtual tree", in relation to seeding.

I didn't know of this aspect of seeding.

Sure. Here are three objects, each assigned the same material that uses the “Pine” Pattern, with Trunk direction = (0,0,1) and Trunk center = (0,0,0). On the left is a simple object, a Box with rounded edges. In the middle is a copy of the same Box, with the same material, to which I 3D-Added the vertical white cylinder next to it. Note that the center of the grain pattern has shifted. On the right is another copy of the same Box with the same material, to which I added the tilted white cylinder that passes through it. Note now that the direction of the grain pattern has changed.

Henry H

* January 28, 2018, 01:41:10 PM
Thanks Henry

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 28, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
Thanks Henry, it's coming back to me now.
Alvin, the Textual Creations site has a very good explanation of using seeding with wood grains.

* January 28, 2018, 05:46:56 PM
Thanks Henry, it's coming back to me now.
Alvin, the Textual Creations site has a very good explanation of using seeding with wood grains.

"the Textual Creations site has a very good explanation of using seeding with wood grains."
______
Yes it does.  I've reviewed those PDFs a number of times over the years.  Would do so again if I had purpose to create a realistic wood-grain, and highly recommend it to anyone interested in creating realistic wood-grain materials.
Thank You Don Cheke for that generous contribution and all your generous, very informative, and easy to follow contributions.  -Alvin

Texutal Creations, Don Cheke's, Tips on wood-grain textures and seeding HERE, Tips #14 & #6

Alvin Gregorio