TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Crane and rhib animation
Read 735 times
* May 14, 2019, 06:09:19 PM
My initial goal was/is to animate the hiab crane and the rhib together, by animating the rhib taking off from say a jetty and circling the fremantle boat, then coming alongside and finally retrieving the rhib by the hiab crane.

Like to animate the hiab crane in anilab, but Im thinking that this maybe a complex task, with the number of actors required to simulate the animation process. Like grouping objects down many multiple levels, I have not included the hydraulic hoses and piping in this render and Im wondering if its likely to be problematic?

Assuming that hydraulic hoses and piping were in the render, how would I go about animating there respective mechanical range of movements with the anilab tools in conjunction with the hiab drawing?

Which editor ( Keyframes, Scenario ) is best for animating all the associated actions for the hiab crane?

Can you mix both the Keyframes & Scenario editors together for animation and is that wise?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

May 15, 2019, 12:44:19 AM
My initial goal was/is to animate the hiab crane and the rhib together, by animating the rhib taking off from say a jetty and circling the fremantle boat, then coming alongside and finally retrieving the rhib by the hiab crane.

Like to animate the hiab crane in anilab, but Im thinking that this maybe a complex task, with the number of actors required to simulate the animation process. Like grouping objects down many multiple levels, I have not included the hydraulic hoses and piping in this render and Im wondering if its likely to be problematic?
Grouping is possible, but you may be able to avoid that.  However, grouping isn't as scary as it seems!

Assuming that hydraulic hoses and piping were in the render, how would I go about animating there respective mechanical range of movements with the anilab tools in conjunction with the hiab drawing?

Which editor ( Keyframes, Scenario ) is best for animating all the associated actions for the hiab crane?
I would probably start with Keyframes for the hiab, using the Morphing command for flexible piping.
The RIB might be done with Scenario commands, for the most part.

Can you mix both the Keyframes & Scenario editors together for animation and is that wise?
Yes, this is possible, but not recommended at one and the same time!

Plenty to think about, eh?

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:01:41 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* May 15, 2019, 02:54:28 AM
My advise.   Don't forget to set all the individual reference points correctly before starting.  i.e. set all the objects ref points to their point of rotation.  Once you start setting up the animation, don't alter these individual reference points.    Selecting multiple objects and using a temporary ref point is fine though.

* May 15, 2019, 02:17:24 PM
Tim on my mobile atm, how could you perform animation without groups, presuming Ive understood your comment?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* May 15, 2019, 02:22:00 PM
Andy yes I was always going to set refetence points to rotation of travel 1st.

"Selecting multiple objects and using a temporary ref point is fine though"

How can you set a temp reference point, as Ive not seen this anilab command?

Daz

* May 15, 2019, 02:53:23 PM
Assuming that Im using keyframes then what is a reasonable time between the 1st movement of say the actuator ( hydraulic ram ) through its rotation to the final intended position in seconds?

I understand its somewhat ambiguous and its up to the animator but is there a rule of thumb that I should consider?

The point is that Im wanting to get my timings correct 1st time on mechanical movements.

Daz

* May 15, 2019, 03:16:28 PM
If I use keyframes and scenario editors in the same animation and split the commands and functions at different intervals is that ok?

Different intervals like keyframes 201 - 202 do X and Scenario 203 - 203 do Y, keyframes 204 - 207 do Z.

I can see a need to use both editors at different parts of the animation process.

Daz

* May 15, 2019, 03:58:31 PM

"Selecting multiple objects and using a temporary ref point is fine though"

How can you set a temp reference point, as Ive not seen this anilab command?

Sorry Darryl.  I probably didn't word that right.   basically, if one drags a selection window around some objects, (which are ungrouped).  one can grab the ref point and place it anywhere, to move or rotate the selected objects all at once.  This is really is what I call a temporary ref point, as it is only valid whilst the selection is still active.  When one de-selects the objects, all the original ref points are still where one has set them.   

I guess its just my 'strange' way of looking at things within TC. and  I do sometimes forget that what I call things, is not necessarily the same as other people.

* May 15, 2019, 04:09:57 PM
Assuming that Im using keyframes then what is a reasonable time between the 1st movement of say the actuator ( hydraulic ram ) through its rotation to the final intended position in seconds?

I understand its somewhat ambiguous and its up to the animator but is there a rule of thumb that I should consider?

The point is that Im wanting to get my timings correct 1st time on mechanical movements.

Yep, a tough one,  but given the subject matter I would tend to lean more towards a slow animation.  What I would suggest is, cut out some paper shapes for the three main arms (no need to bother for the hydraulics), and do a few test timings moving them on a table. Maybe start to look at 15 seconds, to go from the position you have in your image above, to where the crane is in a position to start lifting something.  and increase the time from there if it seems too fast.

* May 15, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
Andy & Tim pls see reply #6

Daz

* May 15, 2019, 04:32:11 PM
If I use keyframes and scenario editors in the same animation and split the commands and functions at different intervals is that ok?

Different intervals like keyframes 201 - 202 do X and Scenario 203 - 203 do Y, keyframes 204 - 207 do Z.

I can see a need to use both editors at different parts of the animation process.

You can mix and match keyframes and commands however you wish. As long as you follow one simple rule.  You cannot have identical command and keyframe property on the same frame number, i.e. at the same time.  For example, one can use 201 - 207 command rotate x y z.  And set keyframe 201 to 207 move a distance. Providing.  you enter keyframe properties, and un-tick the rotation box.  On the next keyframe following the overlap.  I.e. in this case one would select keyframe 207, go into properties (property icon or right click) and un-tick Rotation. 

Without un-ticking rotation. One would have two identical statements at the same time, so command rotate, would be in conflict with keyframe rotation.

The main downside to this approach is remembering to do it.  I often forget and after running the animation once, I then have to go in and change the properties because I forgot.  But it is personal preference.  I have no doubt other people prefer to keep keyframes and commands on different frame numbers, like the way you have shown it.  That way there is no chance of a conflict or forgetting.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:38:32 PM by Andy H »

* May 15, 2019, 05:18:46 PM
Thanks Andy for those tips and I found the answer in your Anilab.chm - pdf file under rotor and blades animation where you mixed both keyframes and scenario editors into 1 animation. 😁

Daz

May 15, 2019, 11:45:16 PM
Daz,

yes, the new help files now cover most things.  ;)

When I was gainfully employed, we animated robotic arms without showing the hydraulic lines. 
Unless you are specifically animating a Hiab for demonstration purposes, then I would suggest doing the same. 
Keep it simple.

Regards Tim

Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

* May 16, 2019, 12:16:18 AM
Tim I agree, theres so much going on with the design that I figure it best to keep it simple. Looked in some morphing and I presume it wouldnt be too difficult with anilab at all.

Daz

May 16, 2019, 09:59:26 AM
Daz,

here's a very basic example, of grouping, which may help.

Regards Tim